Thank You For Smoking

Started by MacGuffin, December 22, 2005, 05:33:01 PM

SiliasRuby

Despite Mod's comments I saw this today and was throughly entertained and happy with it, but again, nothing that can't wait.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

pete

I saw it last weekend, it had some really sharp one-liners, but I was generally disappointed with the fact that the film didn't satirize much--it made fun of hollywood, and then the whole media culture of "spin", while letting the lobbyiests in general walk away relatively harmlessly.  it was all style but no guts.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

bonanzataz

yes. agreed. a lot of inconsistent style that got in the way of what could have been a really good movie. the trailer is hilarious, but it is, alas, nothing more than a spin itself. it was very competently written, but something about it seemed to be lacking. also, it bugged me that the lead character is supposed to be a smoker, yet nobody, not even him, smokes one cigarette throughout the entire movie. that was just weird.

the lady behind us sitting by herself laughing really loudly and talking to the screen, however, made up for the film's flaws in abundance.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Reinhold

Quote from: bonanzataz on March 28, 2006, 09:58:45 PM
yes. agreed. a lot of inconsistent style that got in the way of what could have been a really good movie. the trailer is hilarious, but it is, alas, nothing more than a spin itself. it was very competently written, but something about it seemed to be lacking. also, it bugged me that the lead character is supposed to be a smoker, yet nobody, not even him, smokes one cigarette throughout the entire movie. that was just weird.

the lady behind us sitting by herself laughing really loudly and talking to the screen, however, made up for the film's flaws in abundance.

what he said. even the part about the lady talking to the screen, except that she was sitting in the same row.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

MacGuffin

NBC takes up 'Smoking'
Peacock to 'Thank' satire
Source: Variety

NBC is lighting up a TV spin on "Thank You for Smoking."

Rick Cleveland ("Six Feet Under") is aboard to write and exec produce the small-screen version of the indie pic. David O. Sacks, who produced the film, will exec produce the TV take via Room 9 Entertainment and NBC U Television Studio.

Christopher Buckley, who wrote the book on which the movie was based, will serve as a consulting producer.

Peacock version of "Smoking" is being developed as a single-camera laffer focusing on Nick Naylor, the superstar spin doctor who, as played by Aaron Eckhart in the movie, did PR for big tobacco. TV take will pick up where the feature left off, with Naylor running his own firm.

"The idea is that there's a never-ending array of clients he could have," Sacks told Daily Variety. "But it has to be something where Nick is on the wrong or unpopular side of things."

Potential clients could include fast-food companies, environmental polluters or politicos caught with their pants down.

"The reason the movie resonated so much was that it wasn't about just one particular issue," Sacks said. "It's about PR as a culture, about the way we spin issues."

As in the movie, the small-screen "Smoking" will show Naylor balancing his conflicting responsibilities as a PR person and as a dad.

Original "Thank You for Smoking," released earlier this year by Fox Searchlight, has grossed nearly $25 million in the U.S.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

and it's all gonna be safe and self-effacing, without much if any actual stance on any issue where the joke is always on the idea that spin doctors find ingenius ways to articulate things!
EFF THAT BALLLESS ISH.
I swear that's what the show is going to be. 
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton