Dreamgirls

Started by MacGuffin, December 08, 2005, 01:14:01 AM

MacGuffin

Teaser Trailer

Release Date: December, 2006

Director: Bill Condon

Cast: Jamie Foxx, Beyonce Knowles, Eddie Murphy, Danny Glover, Anika Noni Rose, Jennifer Hudson, Keith Robinson

Premise: Based on the Broadway musical, a trio of black female soul singers cross over to the pop charts in the early 1960's.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

greenowl

Eddie Murphy looks great in that dress. Very fetching.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

does anyone else think the music from 1:35-1:40 sounds like Clementines Loop?

this looks like this years slightly fictional Ray/Walk The Line musical biopic oscar bait.  that said, i'll probably see it anyhow.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

modage

mmm... dont believe the hype.  it was a good time, but (i think) a fairly standard musical.  the acting was pretty good all around but the editing/camerawork wasnt quite as interesting as in Chicago (though i liked that this used the locations instead of restaging everything on a stage).  there were 3 or 4 lame songs and the movie was a little long considering it does use the expected arc but it was fun and the audience was really into it. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Xx

Ravi

:yabbse-thumbup: to the Network caps.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Ravi

Mikey B

Quote from: modage on December 30, 2006, 11:37:36 PM
mmm... dont believe the hype.  it was a good time, but (i think) a fairly standard musical.  the acting was pretty good all around but the editing/camerawork wasnt quite as interesting as in Chicago (though i liked that this used the locations instead of restaging everything on a stage).  there were 3 or 4 lame songs and the movie was a little long considering it does use the expected arc but it was fun and the audience was really into it. 
Couldn't have said it better. People were cheering in the audience in the cinerama dome after every singing proformance which was a bit annoying but Eddie Murphy really had me smiling the whole time he was on screen.
I Stole SiliasRuby's DVD Collection

Xx

RegularKarate

You guys are nuts.

I hate gone-Hollywood musicals for the most part so when they said this was next at Buttnumbathon, I groaned out loud (mistake since Condon was in the room), but while a little long, this thing was great and I made my wife go see it with me once it hit the theaters so I could see it again.

Great music, great singing, decent performances... good set pieces... blows that attrocity Chicago out of the water.

I wouldn't want to see this getting the Oscars it's clearly begging for during the end credits (I rolled my eyes both times I saw them), but I thought A: Jennifer Hudson was really impressive and B: the music was actually good compared to the crap songs you typically get in these on-screen musicals.

Alexandro

really bad compared to condon's kinsey and gods and monsters. it really is a shame he took the time to do this, cause is really not his fault. the screenplay and even the very idea for this thing is mediocre. i never got sold on it. the transitions and changes in plot direction for the characters seemed too quick and unjustified, not really ilustrated enough, as if just because they're singing and dancing they have a free pass to jumo from a to c without a b. some of the songs were really good, but at least 3 of them were cheesy and tiresome, usually going on for way too long, with the same verses repeated over and over again so the performers could say "hey, haven't i got a great voice?". partly because of this the movie becomes incredibly long. and it's strange that no one really gets a chance to shine, with the exception of jennifer hudson, who has enough time to showthat she's a great singer and has the charisma of a movie star. the others are kind of wasted, even eddie murphy, who does what he can and is funny and interesting, but everytime he's about to do something powerfull the movie shifts it's focus towards someone else. foxx becomes increasingly one note troghout the movie, and beyonce will do better elsewhere, when they actually give her a good part to play.

the movie tries to play every card. it wants to talk about racism, soul, the whitization of black music, but it really says nothing about any of those things. production values are excelent, and everything looks great, but it really is just eye candy. looking at beyonce became the most interesting part to me after a while.