Dave Chappelle's Block Party

Started by Ghostboy, September 13, 2004, 08:19:52 PM

MacGuffin

Interview: Dave Chappelle
Chappelle chats with IGN about his concert doc, the DVD, and the possibility of future films.

During a recent Los Angeles appearance to promote the release of his new DVD for Dave Chappelle's Block Party, IGN enjoyed an opportunity to speak briefly to the famous funnyman about the forthcoming disc. Slightly fatigued from an appearance in Hollywood last night, Chappelle seemed subdued, but he generously spent time with the press answering questions before adjourning to the comfort of a Culver City, CA Best Buy to sign autographs for his fans.

IGN DVD: Given the success of this and theaters and inevitably on DVD, do you have a dream line-up for a sequel?

Dave Chappelle: I have entertained the idea of doing a sequel, and like all sequels, we would just try to do it bigger and better. I have an idea but I'm scared to publicly pitch it. But I'll tell you this: it has been discussed, and I think it would be spectacular.

IGN: In other interviews you described the show as 'spirited'. Talk about that.

Chappelle: One of the things in the movie for me, one of the bigger things, was the feeling of community. I look at these artists in the movie as kind of like my community, because they are artists I have utmost respect for. I said in the movie, and I sincerely mean it, I was fans of these people before I ever met any of them, and when you work with people like this, it really kind of inspires you. Because I think one artist to another artist, the best compliment you can pay one another, because the part of you that is inspired or creates something, to write a joke or a song, that's like the God-like part of a person. And when you get together, you've got to appreciate it.

IGN: How does it feel to get out and interact with your fans like you're doing today?

Chappelle: It feels great. You know, a celebrity, whatever I am, you get cut off sometimes from people just by circumstance. So the only time that you actually get out here - you know, you can forget sometimes that it's not just a business. It's a big human interaction. I see people with their kids and stuff and they hand me stuff and take pictures with me, and that might be in their family photo album. You know, that makes you feel good, and it's always important to remember that.

IGN: How much did you participate in putting together this DVD?

Chappelle: Not so much. I mean, [Michel] Gondry, I attribute a lot of the creative stuff to. I mean, I had an idea that I wanted to do this movie, and had a way that I wanted it to be done, but Michel is like a genius, you know what I mean? So when you're around a guy like that - it would be like if we were at a comedy club, it wouldn't be like he was like, 'Dave, you should do your jokes like this'. So when it comes to directing or putting together creative vision, I just felt like I was completely in good hands, and I think what he did with it was beautiful.

IGN: Was there any thing you especially wanted to be on the DVD either in the unrated cut or bonus features that didn't make the theatrical version?

Chappelle: I think the only thing that I wish was on there that may not be on there was that because there was so much music involved, and there are so many clearances involved, that there was some music that was at the concert that I don't know if made the disc or not, but on the disc I know they played like extended versions of all of the songs, which was incredible. So I'm real happy about that. It was a God damn piece of movie magic!
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks