Volver

Started by MacGuffin, August 29, 2005, 01:22:50 PM

Pubrick

how did you know i was just  looking at the poster, watching the trailer, going "taka-ta taka-ta taka-ta..  :bravo:  voolveeeeerrrrr..." and thinking fondly about this movie, man, HOW DID YOU KNOW?
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pubrick on October 30, 2006, 10:46:29 AMHOW DID YOU KNOW?

We've known each other longer than most marriages nowadays.  :shock:

It's like I know Fernando is sitting at his computer right now wondering if I did mail him his Seinfeld DVDs.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Fernando

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 30, 2006, 01:48:02 PM
Quote from: Pubrick on October 30, 2006, 10:46:29 AMHOW DID YOU KNOW?

We've known each other longer than most marriages nowadays.  :shock:

It's like I know Fernando is sitting at his computer right now wondering if I did mail him his Seinfeld DVDs.

Actually, I haven't been able to go to pick them up, heck I haven't even checked if they arrived! :ponder:  :yabbse-worried:

A Matter Of Chance

For me, this is easily the best movie of the year....so far? It's really great. I saw Almodovar talk a few years ago at Harvard, but recently I had forgotten how much I love him. Kudos to the master.

pete

wow imagine a melodrama and dark comedy with REAL EMOTIONS, that's this movie.  so great.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

w/o horse

A really, really good movie.  But I don't get why everyone in it was Spanish.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

matt35mm

Another fantastic movie from Pedro Almodovar, and a lovely return for writing such great roles for actresses.  Except for a couple of male characters that are in the movie briefly, the screen belongs to the women.  And I could never complain about that!

This is also one of his most dramatically simple, straightforward movies, which worked out very well for this story.  So... go see it.

ProgWRX

Chalk up another one to Almodovar. I truly LOVED this movie. The only scene that i can find something to complain is the part where Raimunda sings, and the only thing i can complain of is the obvious lip syncing, but at the same time it is (for me) the most beautiful scene in the movie, seeing her eyes water and begin to cry while singing this song from her childhood. It was overwhelming.

-Carlos

Pubrick

Quote from: ProgWRX on December 26, 2006, 12:43:33 PM
Chalk up another one to Almodovar. I truly LOVED this movie. The only scene that i can find something to complain is the part where Raimunda sings, and the only thing i can complain of is the obvious lip syncing, but at the same time it is (for me) the most beautiful scene in the movie, seeing her eyes water and begin to cry while singing this song from her childhood. It was overwhelming.
i didn't mind the lip sync, cos i already stole the song by estrella morente before i saw the film i knew it was gonna be just a bit of karaoke, the only thing that i didn't like about it was she started crying too soon. the song starts very passionately and builds up, but she's crying from like 10 seconds into it, 10 seconds more would have helped. but like u said it's a minor point.

almodovar is a cinematic genius with his own language. his colour and casting seem so effortless, we remain unaware until later just how much life he creates -- it registers as intuitively as he must have thought of it. he managed to make penelope cruz look vulnerable and strong and very hot at the same time. at this point, if u don't like his movies there's nothing in here that will make you suddenly appreciate his recurring themes. he's probably my favourite feel-good director. there is something life affirming and rejuvinating in all of his films, and that's the effect penelope cruz embodies. it feels like her first film in a long time, suddenly she is somebody, and not some jerk's mandolin or some other jerk's meet-you-in-another-life-when-we're-both-cats object of affection.

the bit where she's walking down the street and asking all of her neighbours for favours as they pass her, how could you not fall in love with that.. what an efficient and genius device. there's more to be said about the themes of invisible forces acting on our lives, but that would require a more structured review and i don't feel like doing it right now.
under the paving stones.

ProgWRX

Quotedidn't mind the lip sync, cos i already stole the song by estrella morente before i saw the film i knew it was gonna be just a bit of karaoke, the only thing that i didn't like about it was she started crying too soon. the song starts very passionately and builds up, but she's crying from like 10 seconds into it, 10 seconds more would have helped. but like u said it's a minor point.

i didnt even notice about her crying "too soon". didnt she even well up while she was still behind the bar in the other room? The tears just seemed to come so naturally, it just killed me.

-Carlos

Alexandro

I loved Penelope, and the lip sync, and the crying. I loved a lot of things, but I didn't really fell in love with Volver as a whole. I really didn't like Maura for some odd reason. Almodovar is definetely a genius, and you can tell from second one there is a big mastermind behind this film, but at some point I just got tired of the twists and turns. I started to feel restless. Penelope is the standout here, the film is her's, and her performance, I think, will be the reason people remember this movie. But I wouldn't put it up there with Talk to Her and All About my Mother, and on a personal level, I even prefer Bad Education for being so morally ambiguous. And for Gael's performance, which is fucking awesome.

Xx

©brad

this was wonderful. i'm officially in love w/ penelope.

almodovar is like a genius magician or chef - yes let's use chef- who's able to effortlessly interweave and mix multiple genres - dark comedy, melodrama, mystery, slapstick (among many others) - in such an seamless and unique and ultimately perfect way. i always attribute his movies to great meals – completely satisfying, invigorating your palette to the last taste bud, and always leaving you wanting more. 

Quote from: Pubrick on December 26, 2006, 10:14:14 PMthe bit where she's walking down the street and asking all of her neighbours for favours as they pass her, how could you not fall in love with that.. what an efficient and genius device.

YES!! i loved that.

Gamblour.

I still haven't seen an Almodovar I've liked. I didn't hate it. I just wasn't blown away. They sure did cry a lot. Although, I did genuinely like seeing Cruz be so charming with the film crew. I don't think I'm a big fan of melodrama.
WWPTAD?