Brokeback Mountain

Started by Ghostboy, August 25, 2005, 02:42:52 PM

Just Withnail

Wait a second, so you're saying gay people can be just as rude as other people?

Somewhere in L.A., Paul Haggis's brain explodes.

There, that's my Crash bash. I'm done, and let's all just be.

MacGuffin

Universal has officially announced the DVD release of Ang Lee's Brokeback Mountain for 4/4 (SRP $29.98). Separate anamorphic widescreen and full frame versions will be available. Extras will include 4 featurettes (On Being a Cowboy, Directing from the Heart: Ang Lee, From Script to Screen: Interviews with Larry McMurtry & Dana Ossana and Sharing the Story: The Making of Brokeback Mountain).

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Wow.... If 4/4 turns out to be the real street date, this DVD and The Morrissey album will be released on the same day. :bravo: I will have both on eagerly awaited pre-order, of course. 
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Quaid Sues Over Payment for 'Brokeback'

Randy Quaid, who plays a tough sheep rancher in "Brokeback Mountain," claims he was fleeced for his work in the movie.

Quaid filed a lawsuit Thursday in Los Angeles County Superior Court alleging producers got him to work cheap by falsely claiming "Brokeback" was "a low-budget, art-house film, with no prospect of making any money."

"Yet from day one, defendants fully intended that the film would not be made on a low budget, would be given a worldwide release, and would be supported as the studio picture it always was secretly intended to be," the lawsuit says.

Quaid agreed to waive his usual seven-figure fee and share of gross profits in favor of a much smaller payment, the lawsuit claims, although it doesn't say how much he was paid.

The 55-year-old actor was nominated for an Oscar for his role in 1973's "The Last Detail" He played "Colonel" Tom Parker, Elvis Presley's manager, in the TV movie "Elvis."

The lawsuit alleges intentional and negligent misrepresentation and seeks at least $10 million in damages. It names Focus Features LLC, Del Mar Productions LLC, which was formed by Focus to make the movie, and producers David Linde and James Schamus.

Focus is the specialty movie arm of Universal Pictures. Linde and Schamus were co-presidents of Focus when the film was made. Linde was recently promoted to co-chairman of Universal Pictures.

A call to Focus seeking comment wasn't immediately returned Friday.

The lawsuit contends that industry guilds define a low-budget film as having a budget of $500,000 to $7 million, but the budget for "Brokeback" was about $15 million.

The average cost of making a studio picture last year was $60 million, according to the Motion Picture Association of America.

"Brokeback Mountain," which won Oscars for best director, original score and adapted screenplay, has grossed more than $82 million in North America.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

I was just about to post this....Randy Quaid is worth seven figures??? That better include the two zeroes after the decimal.
WWPTAD?

godardian

A few things cross my mind at this:

-Quaid is a VERY minor star and was barely in the movie. Seven figures would have represented a ridiculously disproportionate amount of that budget. Focus makes films like Far from Heaven and Brokeback for $13 million, $14 million, and they look like they cost five times that much. It was nothing more than a cameo, really.

-That's the other thing: I think that it's only fair to say that any film that costs $20 million or even $25 million or less should be considered "low budget." I don't work in the biz in any way, so maybe I'm mistaken. Does anyone with more knowledge happen to know how much a bare-bones bottom-of-the-barrel budget would actually be for something like Brokeback? I'm guessing that figure is not much less than what they spent.

-I wonder if this is really Quaid's doing. If it were his own decision, I'd think he was a greedy, conniving asshole. But if an agent put him up to, I'm more ambivalent. You'd tend to take the advice of someone you pay to handle your career, and it comes as no surprise when those people are conniving.

-A mean joke on Will and Grace that would've slipped my mind were it not for this:

Grace: People say [attractive female movie star] and look so much alike, we're practically twins.

Karen: Yes...just like Randy Quaid is Dennis Quaid's "twin."

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Kal

The thing is that they dont disclose what he actually made... maybe it was TOO LOW... like if the movie was 3-5 million and not 14.

He is definetly not worth seven figures, and I dont think neither one of the actors got paid that much. Usually a film doesnt spend more than 25-35% of the budget total in the talent. There are excepcions of course, but thats like the general rule. That means that the total cost of the movie without talent was lets say 9 million. Then you have to divide 5 million dollars within Ang Lee, Jake G, Heath Ledger, Anne Hathaway, Michelle Williams, and of course Randy Quaid. The rest, do the math...

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: MacGuffin on March 24, 2006, 01:40:26 PM
Quaid Sues Over Payment for 'Brokeback'

going into the film he should've known he was going to get screwed...

:splat:

Pozer

The Perineum Falcon

Because he's a guy and....

bah, it's not worth explaining.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

godardian

Quote from: Slightly Green on March 27, 2006, 12:41:49 PM

The tomato was very apt, is all I have to say. The comment is ripe for richly deserved criticism and deconstruction, but the tomato says it all, including the fact that the poster very mistakenly thinks he's being naughty and cute. Not funny; sort of sad, really. It should be noted that it's the same person who's acclaiming (and misspelling) Paul Verhoeven, slobbering over Sharon Stone, and dissing Kathy Bates in the Basic Instinct 2 thread. "Consider the source" is a good rule here, but it really doesn't remedy the annoyance or--more to the point--make it any less embarrassing for the poster.

MacGuffin

Quote from: godardian on March 27, 2006, 01:02:31 PM
The tomato was very apt, is all I have to say. The comment is ripe for richly deserved criticism and deconstruction...

:yabbse-thumbup:

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: godardian on March 27, 2006, 01:02:31 PM
Quote from: Slightly Green on March 27, 2006, 12:41:49 PM

The tomato was very apt, is all I have to say. The comment is ripe for richly deserved criticism and deconstruction, but the tomato says it all, including the fact that the poster very mistakenly thinks he's being naughty and cute. Not funny; sort of sad, really. It should be noted that it's the same person who's acclaiming (and misspelling) Paul Verhoeven, slobbering over Sharon Stone, and dissing Kathy Bates in the Basic Instinct 2 thread. "Consider the source" is a good rule here, but it really doesn't remedy the annoyance or--more to the point--make it any less embarrassing for the poster.

wow...dude, how could a stupid and rather cheesy comment, which is on the same level of a rejected every body loves raymond line of dialog, be "ripe for richly deserved criticism and deconstruction"????  its not worth anyones time for that...i wasn't thinking that my comment was "naughty or cute" ..but that makes me hot thinking you do...as for vehoeven [sp?], everyone knows that i am grammatically handicapped and i do think that verhoven is an awesome director..showgirls, total recall, robocop, and the highly underrated basic instinct..they are all trashy but entertaining as well...they are masturbatory high-budget b-films....if anyone here doesnt enjoy one of his films, then quite frankly they are a douche and and snob...but i don think we will run into that problem here..i've got faith in xixax....and i have no shame slobbering over sharon stone...its sort of the same thing you get off on kathy bates...i think its cool for a 50+ hollywood starlet to show snatch and tits...she's hot and machine made....just like you think its "magnificent" for kathy bates to get naked in a hot tub...it was quite an undertaking for her..i'm sure...but i still think shes ugly..but an incredible actress, just like my oscar winning stone...theres nothing wrong w/ thinking someones ugly..shit, i am probably considered ugly by people...and as for basic instinct 2 , i am looking forward to it..and it intrigues me that thewlis is in it...i am sorry you found my post "annoying"...but i am not embarrassed one bit by it...you should be embarrassed for writing an eloquently posed rebuttal to my cheesy post to begin with..its doesnt deserve your time devoted ot it...

Pubrick

Quote from: pyramid machine on March 28, 2006, 09:19:32 AM
oscar winning stone
that, uh, never happened.

you should be embarrassed for writing an eloquently posed rebuttal to my cheesy post to begin with..its doesnt deserve your time devoted ot it...
hah, you're right about that.
under the paving stones.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Pubrick on March 28, 2006, 09:27:49 AM
oscar winning stone
that, uh, never happened.

:doh:

damn, i meant globe

well, godardian you win b/c of my ignorance