Bubble

Started by modage, August 17, 2005, 09:37:43 PM

polkablues

Bubble's a bad example, though, because I think a lot of us (and by "a lot of us" I'm referring solely to myself) don't really think of it as real Soderbergh movie.  Real Soderbergh movies have people like George Clooney and Benicio Del Toro and Nicky Katt in them, and are 90 minutes long (or longer!).  I'm not saying its right to think that way, just that we (me) do.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pozer

I don't.  It is a real Soderbergh movie.  It's a great project and I'm excited he's doing a string of these.  Just the idea of finding these regular folk...
Quote from: The Artist Formerly Known As on February 04, 2006, 05:38:43 PM
I love  how they found these folks, especially finding the woman at the drive thru at KFC.
...and putting them on film.  Just picking a town and creating a story there with these real life people should be enough to spark your interests.  Using nothing but available light, the real homes where these people live (no set design) and capturing things unplanned along the way... just how most of us make our short films.  It's a case of a successful filmmaker going back to his roots (in a way), and I don't know how you wouldn't want to rush to see something like that (if you're a fan that is).  Plus he also gives an inspiring commentary with Mark Romanek.

Jeremy Blackman

I think polkablues is essentially right... this is a Soderbergh movie (and a good one), but it's a lightweight Soderbergh movie. It's a tad innovative, but not very daring... and it's no Full Frontal.

MacGuffin

Quote from: modage on February 11, 2006, 08:22:59 PM
wow, what did like 5 people see this?  why do we even have a soderbergh forum?

Make it six, mutha-f'er. Happy now?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Weak2ndAct

Yeah, I saw this too.  It's pretty great, although the short running time reveals the film's biggest flaws-- the murder mystery.  Soderbergh and Hough were one turn of the screw away from really taking the story to another place, but they made it so simple, so easy that you blinked your eyes and the film was over.  That being said, I admired the film a whole lot, especially the performances Soderbergh were able to get.  When I heard about this project, I expected it to be more free-wheeling, dogme-esque, having to burn hours of tape to find the good stuff-- but it's stillness makes it seem all the more natural. 

P.S. The alternate ending cracked me up-- a realistic spin on 'Psycho'?

The Red Vine

Quote from: Weak2ndAct on February 17, 2006, 01:55:13 PM
P.S. The alternate ending cracked me up-- a realistic spin on 'Psycho'?

yea, I'm very happy they changed it. "Bubble" was outstanding. I know some people who live these kinds of lives. every conversation in the movie rings true. it also goes to show that sometimes non-actors can be more natural than the professionals who've been acting for years.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

soixante

Just saw it.  I admire Soderbergh for continuing to do experimental films in between more commercial fare.  I liked all the non-actors.  They were very natural, nothing seemed forced.  Also, having unknown actors adds to the atmosphere of the film.
Music is your best entertainment value.

SiliasRuby

This was quite a decent film that held me captivated throughout even though the people seemed bland and had quite routine lives. It really didn't seem like a Soderbergh film but I think that really showed how different he can be with his filmmaking. I know these types of people all too well and had a couple of girlfriends that were a little like Rose was in this was. Everyone was right when it came to the non-actors. Nothing seemed forced or superficial. On the other hand, I felt it was very slow moving up to a point. Until the murder. Then it really focuses and makes all the mundane actions before, just as desperately sad.

Quite a haunting film.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection