Luc Besson's Banlieue 13

Started by meatball, August 10, 2005, 12:15:37 AM

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

i've been interested in the parkour thing since i discovered them earlier on this week.  you have got to see what david belle does, it will make you hate special effects

here are some useful links
http://le-parkour.com/

this video (40mb) :
context, context, context.

pete

my buddy Ulrik just finished a video in which he followed group of traceurs around.  it's more plain and less spectacular, but that's how traceurs train and how they live.

http://www.parkour-videos.com/videos/teamtraceur-at-lisses-on-march-2006
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ghostboy

I saw this movie back in December and it's terrible. I love parkour, but it's only really showcased in the first ten minutes of the film, and even then, it's not much better than the short films and commercials you can find online.

modage

its funny.  i had downloaded this months ago after reading a few interesting blurbs about it and never got around to watching it.  but i had just finally deleted it off my computer a day or two before this thread popped up again.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

diggler

that poster looks like a video game box.

...which i guess nails the target audience.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

RegularKarate

I just got back from this and it's probably the best thing in theaters right now*... which says absolutely NOTHING for the movie, but it's certainly worth watching.
It's main drawback is there isn't enough stunt-work to keep the movie strong and the final fight-scene is a let down.  Fortunately, the rest of the movie isn't completely unbearable (unless you're just stuck-up and can't let go and enjoy stuff like this**) and the stunt work that it DOES feature is pretty damned impressive.
It also features "Resistant" by Iron Sy which is being played over and over on my iTunes.

edit:
*okay, I just checked the listings and United 93 is still showing, so I guess a very distant second best.
**Just noticed Ghostboy didn't like it... this isn't a dig at him