Lord Of War

Started by MacGuffin, July 28, 2005, 08:39:07 PM

Kal

I like the concept of that cover... but whats with Cage's face? Na-ha...

The Red Vine

DVD cover makes it look like a Vietnam war movie instead of a day in the life of a gun seller. Wasn't wild about the movie when I saw it. I was totally unattached emotionally to the movie. I didn't care about the Cage character, his brother or any one else. It was weird for a movie to be about this kind of business and not be dramatic on any level. Anyway, Cage was very good as usual.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

Ravi

SiliasRuby

The writing was a bit meh but overall I thought it was good and the trailer made it feel different than what it actually was, a political action movie.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

modage

yes, this was very meh.  pretty disappointed.  cage had a bleh character and while i admire the topic the film just didnt have the energy or the focus on characters that it needed to really involve you.  perhaps it would've benefited from some hyper tony scott or verite fernando meirelles direction?  either way it seemed like Blow, but with guns and not money, and not nearly as good.  some of the dialogue was kinda 'are they serious?' too on the nose.  especially some of the stuff with moynahan.  oh well. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: modage on January 21, 2006, 11:50:58 PMit seemed like Blow, but with guns and not money, and not nearly as good.

Exactly.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Redlum

I'm reading that the Region 1 has been cropped from the original aspect ration of 2.35:1 to 1.78:1.
(http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=8694)
(http://www.axelmusic.com/resources/covers/back/031398188018.jpg)

Anyone confirm this? Quite scandalous.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

MacGuffin

Quote from: ®edlum on February 25, 2006, 08:00:35 AMAnyone confirm this?

Quote from: thedigitalbitsNow for a bit of actual DVD-related news: It seems that Lionsgate's new Lord of War DVDs have been released with anamorphic widescreen video at the rather surprising aspect ratio of 1.78:1 - surprising because the film was released theatrically at 2.40:1. We've contacted Lionsgate about this, based on complaints from our readers, and have been told that the 1.78:1 ratio was chosen by the film's production company. So it's not an error, but rather was a deliberate decision, though we can't confirm whether or not director Andrew Niccol was involved. Hopefully, that clears the issue up... at least a little.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Redlum

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

MacGuffin

Quote from: ®edlum on February 25, 2006, 01:15:05 PM
Cheers...disgraceful

Quote from: thedigitalbitsRemember how, a few weeks ago, we reported on Lionsgate releasing Lord of War (a 2.40:1 aspect ratio film) on DVD cropped to fill the 1.78:1 frame? Remember how we asked the studio about it, and they said it was a decision made by the production company? Yeah... well, maybe it was the production company's fault. But now it looks like it WAS the screw-up we figured all along. Readers are starting to report seeing new copies of Lord of War on store shelves, marked with a sticker on the back of case (over the old aspect ratio information) saying that the film is now presented in the correct 2.40:1 ratio. Upon buying and watching the new stickered disc, they report that it has indeed been quietly re-issued at the correct 2.40:1. Boy... if this is true, a LOT of folks who purchased the cropped version are going to be PISSED. If we hear about Lionsgate doing some kind of disc exchange program, we'll let you know. They certainly should.

Skeleton FilmWorks