Get Rich or Die Tryin'

Started by MacGuffin, July 21, 2005, 07:26:58 PM

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: MacGuffinStudio Takes Down Some 50 Cent Billboards

What is everyone going to do when they realize that people are still going to shoot other people?

polkablues

Quote from: hacksparrowWhat is everyone going to do when they realize that people are still going to shoot other people?

QuoteTake Down Some Billboards
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

'Get Rich' pulled after shooting

Loews pulled the Paramount Pictures film "Get Rich or Die Tryin' " from its Waterfront theater near Pittsburgh after a man was shot to death in the theater's lobby Wednesday night.

Police said Shelton Flowers, 30, of Wilkinsburg, Pa., was shot at 11:06 p.m. and died later at an area hospital.

Gerald Barger of the West Homestead Police Department said four people were involved in the shooting but that there were no suspects. Local police plan to increase patrols at the 22-screen Loews Cineplex at the Waterfront from 6 p.m.-2 a.m.

Loews president Travis Reid said the incident occurred while most of the theater's patrons were in their seats in the complex's individual theaters.

It is not clear whether the individuals involved in the shooting had just left the screening of "Get Rich," which had started at 10 p.m., but Reid ackowledged that they had come from that direction.

While Loews will not play the film at the Waterfront until the investigation is completed, the New York-based exhibitor will continue showing the movie at its other locations around the country.

"There was a lot of preparation done for this film after Paramount's research told us that it was drawing a primarily young male crowd," Reid said. "We had taken all the precautions possible to limit any possibility of violence, but I'm skeptical that the film itself incited it. I think it was more an issue where the wrong people came into contact with each other."

A Paramount spokesperson could not be reached for comment.

Other exhibitors are watching the situation but will continue to play the movie.

"We are closely monitoring the film and the reactions of patrons in our theaters, but as of today we have no incidents," Greg Dunn, president of the Regal Entertainment Group, the country's leading exhibitor, said Thursday. Regal would not comment on its booking decisions, but sources said the chain had agreed to play the film in just 96 theaters, though Paramount had requested a significantly higher number.

AMC reported that a couple of fistfights had broken out in its theaters showing "Get Rich" but did not consider that unusual. National Amusements reported no incidents across its circuit.

"We regret this tragic incident, but we have to remind our patrons that violence at theaters is extremely rare," said John Fithian, president of the National Association of Theatre Owners. "We've had 1.5 billion people come to the theaters in each of the past three years, and there were only a handful of violent incidents. Though very unfortunate, this type of incident is very rare at the cinema. At this time we don't know if there is any association of this particular incident in connection with the film that was playing. We'll let the police do their investigation."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Quote from: hacksparrowWhat is everyone going to do when they realize that people are still going to shoot other people?

Quote'Get Rich' pulled after shooting

Ravi

Remember when Do the Right Thing caused all those riots?

pete

"There was a lot of preparation done for this film after Paramount's research told us that it was drawing a primarily young male crowd," Reid said. "We had taken all the precautions possible to limit any possibility of violence, but I'm skeptical that the film itself incited it. I think it was more an issue where the wrong people came into contact with each other."

so that's what they're called these days...
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

diggler

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 10, 2005, 08:47:03 PM
It is not clear whether the individuals involved in the shooting had just left the screening of "Get Rich," which had started at 10 p.m., but Reid ackowledged that they had come from that direction.

this is the most hilarious part. they didn't even know if "get rich" was the movie they saw! what if it was saw II? you don't see those viewers shooting each other. they might be locking people up in cages filled with barbed wire, but not shooting each other.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

The Red Vine

Quote from: Ravi on November 10, 2005, 10:34:02 PM
Remember when Do the Right Thing caused all those riots?

I was just thinking that. Or when "Last Temptation of Christ" was released, there were bomb threats on the theaters. As far as this shooting goes, I think it was a stupid move to pull it from that theater. I haven't seen the movie yet, but from Ebert & Roeper's review, it's suppose to be more like "Scarface" than "8 Mile". Being AGAINST violence, drugs, etc...

If anything, they're just trying to stir up controversy. More people will be interested in seeing it now after this little incident. Just to see if the movie really IS a bad influence, which I seriously doubt that it is.

I talked to Jim Sheridan way after "In America" came out and he mentioned this new project. He said it was more of a "In the Name of the Father" kind of movie than his last two films. This has been getting some bad reviews/word of mouth but I wouldn't count him out yet.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

Pozer

Quote from: ddiggler6280 on November 11, 2005, 10:09:34 AM
Quote from: MacGuffin on November 10, 2005, 08:47:03 PM

this is the most hilarious part. they didn't even know if "get rich" was the movie they saw! what if it was saw II? you don't see those viewers shooting each other. they might be locking people up in cages filled with barbed wire, but not shooting each other.
They could have been coming from Elizabethtown.  That movie made me want to shoot somebody.

The Red Vine

from IMDb

"More violence has been reported in connection with the weekend release of the 50 Cent movie Get Rich or Die Tryin'. In Manchester, CT, 16-year-old Kevin Bride was arrested after reportedly pulling a knife on a moviegoer at a theater showing the film. And in Providence, RI, a local movie chain pulled the movie following a disturbance involving more than 100 teens at a mall food court after the movie let out. (The Providence Journal reported that police arrested six persons, including a security officer hired by the theater.)"
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">