Last Days

Started by MacGuffin, May 04, 2005, 03:40:43 PM

modage

how could somebody not like Gerry?  :ponder:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: themodernage02how could somebody not like Gerry?  :ponder:

hahaha...

Pubrick

Quote from: FinnEbert appreciated it with a thumbs up and Roeper hated it with thumbs down.
oh, so THAT's what the thumbs mean..
under the paving stones.

pete

Quote from: MacGuffinLike those movies, Van Sant's imagining of Cobain's final descent in 1994 is interested less in answers than in suggestion and observation.

"There isn't really one answer," the director said in a recent interview. "If there is, I tend to think that the answers become sort of like scapegoats. People want answers in the same way that they want the culprit. It doesn't matter if the guy or girl was really responsible for the crime, so long as you have somebody to hang by the tree."

oh god, another ball-less waste of celluloid coming from the van sant camp, where he just assembles media cliches and insight-free speculations and pretends to not have a point of view.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

The Perineum Falcon

Yeah, it didn't seem to have much context. Unless you already know the story of Cobain.
I think I liked it ok. better than Elefant.
I did like the music though.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Finn

yeah Gus Van Sant always uses the best music. I loved the soundtracks to "My Own Private Idaho", "Gerry", "Elephant" and "Good Will Hunting".
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

The Perineum Falcon

I haven't been so up-to-date on Xixax lately, so this has probably been mentioned before, but I was under the impression that the songs performed in some way were original.
Is there any truth to that?
I really liked that "Severin" song.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ranemaka13I haven't been so up-to-date on Xixax lately, so this has probably been mentioned before, but I was under the impression that the songs performed in some way were original.
Is there any truth to that?
I really liked that "Severin" song.

Quote from: On Page 3's interview, MacGuffinDRE: Being a musician, did you have any input as far as the music for "Last Days?"

Michael Pitt: I didn't really write the music for the film. Well, the last song "From Death to Birth" was a song I wrote a long time ago. Any reservation I had about doing this film was based on me being a fan [of Cobain] and dealing with that. Another big factor was my own music, and I didn't want it to appear that I was trying to benefit [from] a song that I wrote. So, basically, the concept I came up with was that if I make music on the film, it will be improvised and it will be what happens that day. That is what I did, like in the first song. In the last scene we did about 7 or 8 takes, and each take I made up a song. It was something that said: This is a musician, he's playing a song but there's no confusion. And then Gus, in the last take, said, "Play that song," and then I think Thurston [Moore the film's music coordinator] suggested that we put that song in. I trust Gus and I trust Thurston.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Perineum Falcon

Thanks, Mac.

I don't wanna seem like a lazyass, but the interweb's not cheap here and I'm never given alot of time, so I'd rather not spend what little time I have searching for something.

I knew you'd understand. :-D

samsong

achingly beautiful but lesser film of van sant's trio.  michael pitt's performance is fantastic, harris savides's cinematography is perfect.  the use of sound, though, is especially noteworthy--it's genius.  the attempt at transcendence at the very end is obvious but still has an affect that, while not the one van sant was going for, i'm assuming, is still memorable and riveting, though not quite transcendental.

i'll be surprised if that makes sense to anyone.  for now, it does to me.  the film's great, "one of the best of the year."

stitchmark.

I want to see this. Looks great.

Also, have any of you see The Brown Bunny? It's been causing a lot of controversy because of it's "popular scene", but the reason I bring it up it's somewhat in the same catagory of Gus Van Sant's newest movies (Gerry, Elephant). Those slow-moving, beautifully shot type movies.
The wind is blind.

ono

Thread on The Brown Bunny
The Search Engine, aka your best friend
Welcome to Xixax.  Say something about yourself here.

End brief Pubrick impersonation.

pete

Quote from: stitchmark.Those slow-moving, beautifully shot type movies.

you mean those "alternative" movies?  I dunno, I think I'll just stick to Alamo.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Tictacbk

Quote from: stitchmark.Gus Van Sant's newest movies (Gerry, Elephant).

so THATS what he's been doing since Finding Forrester...

killafilm

Saw this yesterday.  I was pretty impressed coming out of the theater, but it hasn't left my head since then.  I'm tempted to say that since the movie doesn't have a tradional story arc or anything that you really have to know about Kurt Cobain to enjoy it.  But yeah you can 86 that last sentance.

There is one scene, which also happens to be one shot, that the whole movie boils down to(at least for me).  This is when we first see Blake actually playing some music.  I'm not so sure what it is exactly but that one shot framed up on the window and the slow creeping dolly back as you witness Blake create something... it's just a powerful image for me.

As usual Savides captures some striking visuals, but as someone else noted the sound design here is awesome.  Everything you see and hear really adds to the overall tone of the film.  I find it interesting that Van Sant edited this himself, but I now see that he did the same on Gerry and Elephant.

Solid film, if you want answers about Cobains death you should go elsewhere.