George A. Romero's Land of the Dead

Started by MacGuffin, April 27, 2005, 10:52:27 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin
watch out, george, it's count olaf!
under the paving stones.

deathnotronic

You'd think those glasses would double as rear view mirrors they're so god damned big.

MacGuffin

Quote from: deathnotronicI can't remember, did he have anything on the directing side to do with the Dawn remake?

No.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

w/o horse

Between me and you guys, I think it's really fucking rad that today I will be able to walk into a big fucking multiplex and see Land of the Dead. A few months ago I was reading Ghost of Mars reviews and someone said "Probably the last b-movie that will get a major theatrical release." Psh, fuck that guy and his wrongness (prior incidents which have already proven this prophecy wrong are not to be brought into this current celebration of Land of the Dead).

For 93 minutes I am going to pretend that Herbie: Fully Loaded isn't playing with Lindsay Lohan, that the Bewitched movie didn't actually happen, that The Longest Yard remake is lolz, that Madagascar is hand drawn, that The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl in 3-D wasn't written by a seven year old, and that the rest of the movies didn't cost over 100 million to make.

I'm going to fucking sit there and remember how fun movies are. Because Land of the Dead isn't going to blow me away, I'm not going to come back here and tell everyone it's my favorite movie - I have no such notions for the movie, but I know there's going to be some fucking goddamn fun.  Today I am going to be twelve again, and I am going to enjoy cinema at a pure level we just don't get anymore.

Stoked.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

ono

Quote from: Losing the Horse:rad
Quote from: Losing the Horse:Stoked.
Gnarly.

w/o horse

If that doesn't get conversation rolling, nothing will.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

cine

w/o horse

analogzombie

Is it the epic, new gold standard in zombie films? No, but it is very good. It fits perfectly within the Dead universe continuing to develop the social themes the series is known for, as well as the Romero zombie progression.

All in all, an excellent Romero zombie movie. All the trademarks are here. A+
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: analogzombieIs it the epic, new gold standard in zombie films? No, but it is very good. It fits perfectly within the Dead universe continuing to develop the social themes the series is known for, as well as the Romero zombie progression.

All in all, an excellent Romero zombie movie. All the trademarks are here. A+

Fuck yeah.

Though, was anyone else reminded of Birth of a Nation or am I that fucked up?

Ghostboy

I enjoyed the hell out of it. I don't think it's as good as any of the other three films (maybe on par with Day), but it's still really damn enjoyable, and a lot of fun. I sort of wish it were a little more than fun - I think a certain scene with a certain building could have been taken much further to really great effect, especially after the parallels already established - but I have no trouble placing it alongside the previous three films.

It's unfortunately never actually scary - the remake of Dawn Of The Dead is actually a lot more intense - but it's got a good head on it's shoulders, and it's still the best zombie movie since - well, since Shaun Of The Dead, I guess. Speaking of, it was cool to see Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg in this.

socketlevel

liked it, but i think romero has lost a bit in his old age.  i'm a huge fan of the other films but i think this ranks lowest for me.

it wasn't bleak enough.   SPOILER....

too many of the main characters lived at the end.  they should have all parished.  the whole bit, "leave them, they're just trying to find a place like how we are"  at the end was bullshit.  I wanted everyone to die, and i like the idea about the building that was mentioned in one of the previous posts.  fuck that would have been kick ass but i'm sure universal would never have released it.

And fuck i'm Canadian and i thought the "let's go to Canada" message was said too many times that the point became a little too obvious.

each of the other dead movies were very specific to the time they were released, this one just had broad topics.

-sl-

that said it did kick some ass and it was a lot of fun

it looked just like a carpenter film.  classic romero, no flashy bullshit camera work.
the one last hit that spent you...

analogzombie

I'll be interested to see the inevitable Unrated Director's Cut. I got the feeling this was Romero cutting his film to fit somewhat, with the 90 mintue horror action genre. His trademarkl character development and dialogue seemed a bit muted in places. Some of Riley's lines seemed cut off almost in mid thought.

abuck1220

Quote from: analogzombieSome of Riley's lines seemed cut off almost in mid thought.

spoilers...

i thought that john leg was getting ready to make a big long speech when he started to say 'i've always wanted to see how the other side lived...' and then he was practically interrupted by a cut to riley and whatever was going on w/ him. i mean, you could almost hear him take a breath as if he was getting ready for a long monologue.

i was a little disappointed, but it was decent fun. i expected more chaos at the end...i felt as though there was like thousands of zombies in the city...and when they fired those missles into the fence i thought the shit was just getting started...and then it was over. were they leaving a shitload of zombies in the city or were they all supposed to be killed by the explosion?

analogzombie

Quote from: abuck1220
spoilers...

i was a little disappointed, but it was decent fun. i expected more chaos at the end...i felt as though there was like thousands of zombies in the city...and when they fired those missles into the fence i thought the shit was just getting started...and then it was over. were they leaving a shitload of zombies in the city or were they all supposed to be killed by the explosion?

***SPOILERS***

I think that while there were a lot of zombies with Big Daddy it wasn't the usual ROmero ending where 1,000 undead swarm and totally destroy the human settlement. I got the impression that the Underground Faction, once they showed up with their guns, were going to mop up the last of the zombies. I totally agree that it seems as though there was more to Cholo's end and the ending of the film than what was presented. I really think Romero's director's cut will end up being a half hour longer.