Mysterious Skin

Started by MacGuffin, April 19, 2005, 12:31:12 PM

Finn

Quote from: Brazoliange
Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: Brazoliange
Quote from: GhostboyThe Life Aquatic, of course! Which puts Vanilla Sky at a distant third.

I knew I'd heard that ending song somewhere.

and here my friend was trying to convince me it was fucking David Bowie  :evil:
in this day and age, it's impossible to find out these things on ur own.

I'd already returned the DVD and it isn't on the soundtrack

To me it was like Wes Anderson was trying to use music that other great filmmakers had already used. I mean come on, nobody uses David Bowie on their soundtrack better than Lars Von Trier and nobody uses Sigur Ros better than Cameron Crowe. Anderson's music spots just weren't as memorable as they were when the other filmmakers used them.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

analogzombie

okay this thread has veered way off.

Speaking of Mysterious Skin...

I thought it was the best film I've seen so far this year.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Pubrick

i don't think a pubrick-esque review would work on this.

i just saw it a couple hours ago at the brisbane international film festival. there's a controversy going on here, it's going up for reclassification. that means the film could be banned. i think in this country they're especially touchy about this particular subject matter. i didn't even know it would be about that. hell, i didn't even know michelle trachtenberg was in it! i'm not a fan of araki, my encounter with The Living End on late nite tv is sumthing i'd rather forget. but i hav to admit, he's finally used sodomy to tell a story.

as samsong said, the ending redeems its flaws. it feels like the entire third act, climax and conclusion of the movie take place in one scene (two, max). oh and the soundtrack! really good, the slowdive songs (catch the breeze and dagger) were completely appropriate, and of course the sigur.

maybe there's sumthing wrong with me, i thought araki was quite subtle in his handling of the material.
under the paving stones.

pete

it was tender, but I dunno if that's the same thing as subtle.  a lot of the dialogue and behavior were really cliched and over the top.  but the ending was really really good.  I didn't like a lot of the acting or characters but the ending was really good.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

stitchmark.

I really want to see this. Nowhere and The Doom Generation (i'm actually going to watch Totally F***ed Up tomorrow, which I hope is good) were great, but this is suppost to be a more emotional movie, which sounds excellent.
The wind is blind.

Gamblour.

Just saw this. I thought that Joseph Gordon-Levitt just came out of nowhere. I mean, I know him from Third Rock and I think he was in Smashing Pumpkins' 1979 video. But my god. He was great in this. I think Brady Corbet as Brian was fucking great too, that scene where he yells at his dad was well-done, nice change from his sheepish behavior. I cringed a lot at some of this stuff, and thought it was really interesting. The way they recall their childhoods felt very real, like people really remembering.

SPOILERS

and at the end, when Neil is talking about fisting, I was so happy that Araki didn't treat us like idiots and reshow the scene where Brian had his hand in the cow. He didn't shove it in our faces, which is something I really appreciate.
WWPTAD?