save the green planet

Started by pete, April 18, 2005, 03:48:04 PM

pete

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/save_the_green_planet.html

the synopsis of this movie sounds crazy:
Lee Byeong-Gu (Shin Ha-Gyun, JSA) is a sensitive, blue collar sad sack hopped up on conspiracy theories and sci-fi films whose life has been derailed by one bad break after another. Yet he knows there's no such thing as bad luck. The only thing that could have made such a mess of his life are...aliens. Nasty, disgusting aliens who have infiltrated human society. Sly aliens who are planning to destroy our planet at the next lunar eclipse. The one alien possessing the Royal Genetic Code needed to contact the Crown Prince and stop the destruction just happens to be his old boss, CEO of Yuje Chemicals, Kang Man-Shik (Baek Yun-Shik).

So with the help of his circus-performer girlfriend he sets out to kidnap Kang and torture him until he confesses to his alien identity and stops the invasion. Of course, it's hard to confess to something that's just a delusion in a sick man's mind.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

Quote from: peteOf course, it's hard to confess to something that's just a delusion in a sick man's mind.
or is it?
under the paving stones.

pete

holy     .  what a great movie.  it begins as some sort of crazy zany Asian comedy and ended with something really profound and I dunno, human?  it takes the recent trend of over-the-top Asian films of Miike and Stephen Chow and Chan WooPark but adds a very simple and sincere message that makes it all the less fun but far more profound.
- Buster Keaton

cine

saw this last night and its going right to the top of my list of one of the best movies i've seen this year (SO FAR).

the guy i saw it with said he felt the movie took itself a bit too serious but i completely disagreed with him. what an emotional ride this movie was. im just going to explain some spoilers since no one will see this anyway:

spoilers

in a way, you could see where the movie was going but i dont feel it was "predictable". i knew that the guy who kidnaps his boss.. that he would be okay in the end cause we're rooting for him the whole movie. that didnt happen HOWEVER *nobody* was okay.. so i think it was alright. also, for this movie to really work, the boss had to be an alien.

those things were expected for me but other than that i totally forgot about seeing the trailer.. and everything was new to me. this was one hell of a satisfying movie.

SiliasRuby

This is playing nowhere near in my town, maybe in LA it is but not in oxnard (ventura county) where I live. Either, I'll have to wait for the DVD or I'll find someplace in LA to see it but gosh, that trailer is wild.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Ravi

This is playing at the Asian Film Festival of Dallas.  Can't wait to check it out.

Weak2ndAct

Jaw saw it, pretty decent, though I didn't like, do backflips over it anything.  Some huge laughs (bees vs. a gun!).  Any doubts I had about tone/plot were instantly relieved once we got to the movie's 'message.'  The flashbacks/stock footage was pretty amazing.  One question:

SPOILAGE:

Ending is literal or imagined?  I go for the latter.

pete

I kinda took everything literally, which made the message more urgent.
- Buster Keaton

RegularKarate

Just watched this.  What a great fucking movie!

Serious roller coastering... at one point I was certain I was going to be disapointed, but it turned out, I was barely half through it all.

This might make my top ten for the year.

w/o horse

I need a couple days with this one.  Has anyone watched it twice, is it just as good?  Jesus fuck.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

hedwig

don't be telling jesus what to do.

pete

I saw it quite a few times and loved it just as much, 'cause the movie really pins you down and you really feel that dude's mad frustration.
- Buster Keaton

matt35mm

Dang.  This movie bummed me out.

Parts of it (the score, actually) reminded me of Last Life in the Universe.

squints

korean cinema is fascinating and so is this movie. its wacky,depressing, gross, but ultimately entertaining...it was like oldboy meets hitchhiker's guide meets a horrible dream i had once...so the song that plays over the opening titles sounds like Me First and the Gimme Gimmes but its not?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

modage

cool original premise.  promising first hour.  'eh' film.  it goes on for atleast 30 minutes too long and thats especially evident in the 2nd hour where my initial excitement just plummeted.  kinda like oldboy but that first hour way way better. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.