I Meet Godard, I Piss Godard Off...

Started by SoNowThen, December 07, 2004, 10:39:41 AM

Jeremy Blackman

You could have at least pretended you were from the press.

modage

Quote from: GhostboyThis is the best thing I've read here all week.
Quote from: ewardthe title of this thread should go on the marquee.
yeah, great story snt.  i'm glad PT isnt an old french dude.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanYou could have at least pretended you were from the press.
If he'd done that, he'd be dead right now. Godard despises the press.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

cowboykurtis

interestingly enough i have a friend that did this same sort of thing with stan brackhage - he was driving out to cali and stopped in boulder to pay him a visit -- stan opened the door and said soemthing to the tune of "what the fuck do you want"... my friend probably had a stupid grin on his face remeniscent of a sedated animal - that was the last thing ole' stan needed, so the door slammed shut soon after -- the next day stan sadly passed away -- this concludes one to think that my friend was the last person to see stan brackhage alive -- and that is a true story -- i dissaproved of this as well -- he is a stalker as well as you -- and both of you are sick fucks -- but i still appreciate the dillagence.
...your excuses are your own...

The Perineum Falcon

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I think it's awesome that:
a) You were in Europe
b) You met Godard, no matter the outcome, that's fucking awesome.
However, I also have the same sentiments as cowboykurtis. How open and friendly do you think he would've been towards you? Did you want his picture or an autograph?
I, personally, would find it rather frightening if I thought someone had flown half-way around the world and tracked me down in my quaint little village for whatever reason.
I'm not......"scolding" you or anything, because you must have some admirablely sized balls to do this, just noting how strange I found it.

And Crono did something like this, too? I should probably search for it, shouldn't I?
(Or does anyone want to save me the time and energy :-D )
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: The Silver Bullet
Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanYou could have at least pretended you were from the press.
If he'd done that, he'd be dead right now. Godard despises the press.

At least we'd have the wholesome image of Jean-Luc Godard standing over SoNowThen with a big knife in his hands.

No I am kidding. You have many guts, my friend.

ono

tpfkabi

[quote="©brad]actually i think it has been and continues to be a great premise for a novel or a film.

go make a movie about this sonowthen. now.[/quote]

something tells me Godard would have made a film like this had a hero of his done it to him. well, maybe a short. i'm not sure how you could sustain 90 minutes unless the entire film is build up to this moment.

nah, wouldn't work.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SoNowThen

Ah, well... I knew you guys would get a kick out of it.

No, to tell the truth I actually did want to sorta 'interview' him. No picture, no autograph, and no sex (he's not busty enough for me). I just figured if I had a long enough span of time there, and he had literally 15 - 30 minutes free at a lunch time or something, I could just talk about cinema with him -- namely how he manages a production company that allows him to continually make films that never ever seem to make any money. I just wanted some tips on how he runs a schedule and budget and things, because his advice would be more favorable to me than those Joe Hollywood books that are available. 'Tis all. I knew there was the possibility he'd be pissed with me just showing up. That's why I tried to write a letter beforehand. But when I got no reply, I figured fuck it, I gotta just get out there.

But yeah, JB, I see now that you are right. I figured I either should have pretended I was from some obscure movie mag writing an article OR that I was some American rich kid with money to invest in an art film. Then I could have quizzed him on all the stuff I wanted to know... maybe...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Myxo

Maybe he coulda camped outside Godard's house "Fight Club" style. The old man can't deny him some time forever. Bring some water. Wait the old bastard out!

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

You should've said "What the hell was up with Weekend, man?  I was TOTALLY lost!"
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

darn, i i wasn't aware of this thread.
sonowthen, i'm so proud of you,
you got to see how crappy sonimage is, eh?

i was wiser though, i stole his correspondence.
context, context, context.

Alethia

alright what the hell is your godard story dude?

cine

Quote from: ewardalright what the hell is your godard story dude?
tsk tsk

Alethia