The Interpreter

Started by MacGuffin, November 23, 2004, 08:31:08 PM

Finn

he really should have. the movie was mediocre at best. Kidman was good and Penn was okay. but the movie itself was very average.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

SiliasRuby

Quote from: Weak2ndActWhen Penn kills a baddie, does he say 'interpret this!'?
If he does then I'm definitely going to see it.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Weak2ndAct

I have nothing to say about the movie itself, but I've discovered that an alarming number of people can't seem to pronounce the word 'interpreter.'  They look at the word, they struggle, looking as if there's some complex math equation going on behind the darting eyes.  So far I've hear 'Inter-Peter,' 'Inter-ceptor,' 'In-trep-eter,' 'Interloper,' and my personal favorite 'Interp... Intrep... the Nicole Kidman movie.'

Yes, I work at a video store.

matt35mm

The Interpreteer.

Interloper is a bit extreme.

polkablues

Quote from: matt35mmThe Interpreteer.

Interloper is a bit extreme.

Maybe.  Then again, my friend worked at a theatre a few years back, and told me he used to get more than a few people asking for tickets to "Mulholland Doctor" and "Apartment Pupil".

Long story short, people are dumb.
My house, my rules, my coffee

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: polkablues

I don't see how that needs a long story to help explain it.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

polkablues

Quote from: walrus

We call that long story "life".
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pozer

Quote from: walrus

I don't see how it makes people dumb.  Not all are movie buffs,  my friend.

pete

re: the interloper mispronounciation thing, yeah that happens a lot.  I used to work at an indie and foreign film house, and it was pretty painful.  people kept on calling the house of flying daggers "the house of flying dragons."  and "l'auberge espagnole" was awesome.
back to the interpreter, just saw it on HBO here in Taiwan.  I actually didn't mind all the silly stuff--especially the fake country.  I thought the acting was pretty good and the staged attempt, though I saw it coming a mile away, was an entertaining revelation.  I however, do not see a point to this movie.  like would they make a movie like this?  they obviously felt like there was some sorta political relevance for it to take place in New York with a bunch of post-911, post-Iraq, post-Rhwanda buzzwords thrown in, but why? 
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton