A Very Long Engagement

Started by modage, September 30, 2004, 03:34:16 PM

cine

I'm enjoying the subtle samsong/ultrahip feud.

Ultrahip

Jeunet's images look great but are more the creation of a techie than a true artist; here his images lack a soul.  They're beautiful to look at but are without substance or significance.  - Samsong

What about that b&w guilotine scene? Or Manech waving to the plane as if it were an old pal? I thought those were quite soulful. There was a French girl sitting next to me, who, after the movie ended, just stared at the screen, practically vibrating trying to hold back tears throughout the credits. I guess Jeunet's sentimentality doesn't work for everyone, though.

cine

Quote from: UltrahipJeunet's images look great but are more the creation of a techie than a true artist; here his images lack a soul.  They're beautiful to look at but are without substance or significance.  - Samsong
There's a Quote button. I'm not even kidding. We have one.

See? That's what quoting is for...

samsong

Quote from: UltrahipJeunet's images look great but are more the creation of a techie than a true artist; here his images lack a soul.  They're beautiful to look at but are without substance or significance.  - Samsong

What about that b&w guilotine scene? Or Manech waving to the plane as if it were an old pal? I thought those were quite soulful. There was a French girl sitting next to me, who, after the movie ended, just stared at the screen, practically vibrating trying to hold back tears throughout the credits. I guess Jeunet's sentimentality doesn't work for everyone, though.

The guillotine scene is done in bad taste... why even show it?  Manech doesn't warrant any sympathy because ::SPOILER:: his idiocy as a result of trauma is no different than most of the French soldiers portrayed in the film ::SPOILER::  His character peaks and ends during the childhood sequence, one of the very few good scenes in the film.  But after that he isn't worth investing in; I couldn't possibly care less about him.  He's a narrative device -- metaphor for innocence -- rather then an actual human, and I'm interested in humans.  

It's Big Fish + The Notebook, a visually pleasing yet empty, superficial romance... for me, anyway.

Ultrahip

There's a Quote button. I'm not even kidding. We have one.- Cinephile

I know you have one- I clicked it. Somewhere along the way I fucked up, realized I fucked up, and then rather than figuring it out thought I'd just do it the old fashioned way- by way of the hyphen. Being ultrahip doesn't mean you have to consider tradition obsolete, not with me anyway.

classical gas

damn, i feel pretty good about myself, cause even i can use the 'quote' button correctly.  and i'm the town (board) drunk.

hedwig

classical gas

I'm an asshole?  I wasn't trying to be.  When did everyone get so sensitive?  Maybe it's just an American thing?  no?

cine

Stop taking things so seriously, CG. Hedwig was the guy who pretended he actually WAS like the Hedwig character, just to get attention.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: MacGuffin'Amelie' Star Tautou, Director Reunite

Is this picture disturbing to anyone else?

picolas

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: MacGuffin'Amelie' Star Tautou, Director Reunite

Is this picture disturbing to anyone else?
yeah.

ono

Jeunet looks like Von Trier.

Just Withnail

Quote from: wantautopia?Jeunet looks like Von Trier.

Nah, but Tautou looks like a young version of my mom.

pete

wow, you must have all sorts of issues.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton