kungfu hustle

Started by pete, September 09, 2004, 12:44:57 AM

MacGuffin

It was a lot better than I expected. Thank God those zany/wacky "cartoon" moments I kept seeing in the commercials that really turned me off from wanting to see this (along with "Kill Bill meets Looney Tunes" reviews) because I thought it was gonna be another Kung Pow without it's tongue in cheek, work better in context.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

I've seen a lot of people turned off by the sheer goofiness this movie employs but i'm pretty sure i had a few assumptions of what i was getting into after seeing Shaolin Soccer.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

MacGuffin

Kung Fu Hustle 2 Will Have to Wait

The rumors that Stephen Chow would be putting off his planned sequel to international hit Kung Fu Hustle were finally confirmed yesterday, when it was announced that Chow's next project will be the sci-fi flick the internet has been muttering about for weeks. The film, which is currently called A Hope, will star Chow as a wayward astronaut who "accidentally lands on another planet." But it doesn't stop there -- get this: "Through the help of a robot who communicates with aliens, the astronaut develops a father-son relationship with a young alien." Whoa. The role of the alien has yet to be cast (and there's no truth to the rumor that Chow is looking for green-skinned youngsters whose eyes grow on stalks), but Zhang Yuqi will play an android, and Chow regulars Yuen Qiu, Danny Kwok-kwan Chan and Tin Kai-man are also confirmed.

Kung Fu Hustle 2, meanwhile, will be pushed back from its 2006 release date, reportedly to allow Chow time to work on the script.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

stephen chow vs. the aliens.  how can it go wrong.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

pete

so I was eating dim sum in oakland when I saw this old dude in a water melon stripes shirt--bright green and pink stripes polo shirt I believe, looking very familiar.  I asked my friend N'jeri if he looked like the gay tailor from kungfu hustle, and she said yes, indeed he did, except he looked a lot younger than 63.  I called my buddy Onassis up, 'cause I forgot his name and didn't wanna address him as "the gay tailor in kungfu hustle."  Onassis is this half filipino/ spanish friend of mine who has fought in the UFC and is pretty hip with the gossips and the news of the martial arts world, and he told me yes, Master Chu does live in Oakland, and briefed me on his lineage a little bit.  I went up to Master Chu and he seemed pretty surprised that someone knew him as a master, and, with my rusty Cantonese I told him I thought his "que sau" was fantastic and threw in some kungfu terms just to sweet talk the man and his young looking wife.  he was pretty friendly and we chatted just a little bit.  Then I realized I just got a camera phone so I asked N'jeri to take a picture.  He got up for the picture, then he was like, dude, we've gotta do kungfu poses.  He was like, you've gotta do this and I'll do this.  man, when I figure out how to upload pictures I'll put it up.

EDIT: I just figured it out, kinda.

- Buster Keaton

modage

that sounds awesome. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

noyes

look at that shirt. haha
cool you met him.
south america's my name.

MacGuffin

Col, Chow's Star team on niche projects
Source: Hollywood Reporter

CANNES -- Columbia Pictures Film Production Asia and Stephen Chow's Star Overseas are teaming up on a multifeature production collaboration.

The two companies will collaborate on a series of niche films featuring new and emerging Asian talent both above and below the line. The hip-hop dance romantic comedy "Jump," which is based on an original story by Chow, marks the first project under the new production partnership.

The story centers on an awkward and naive farm girl (Kitty Zhang) who dreams of stardom in the big city. A cleaner in a local dance school by day, she secretly pursues her dream by night, perfecting her own unique hip-hop martial arts dancing style. Her transformation quickly becomes a media sensation but affects her life in unexpected ways.

Chui Po Chu ("Kung Fu Hustle," "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon") is producing the film. Zhang will make her screen debut opposite Chow in his upcoming comedy feature, tentatively titled "A Hope," which will be released by Sony Pictures Classics in the U.S. and Sony Pictures Releasing International worldwide, excluding China.

"Jump" is set to start production in China in the summer with Sony Pictures Releasing International handling worldwide distribution for this and all future films produced under the new collaboration. No decision has been made yet on which arm of Sony will distribute "Jump" in the U.S. In the past, Chow's films have been released by Sony Pictures Classics.

"Asia is producing some of the most exciting new talent," said Gareth Wigan, vice chairman of Columbia Tristar Motion Picture Group. "With Stephen's superb artistic sensibilities and commercial instincts combined with Sony's distribution and marketing expertise, the prospects for this collaboration are extremely exciting."

Chow's production company previously collaborated with Sony on "Kung Fu Hustle," which proved to be a boxoffice hit and was nominated for a 2005 Golden Globe for best foreign-language film.

Star Overseas recently wrapped the Chow-helmed "A Hope." SPRI will release "A Hope" worldwide, excluding China, with Sony Pictures Classics distributing the film in North America. The movie was produced by Star Overseas in association with mainland China co-production partner China Film Group.

"With Sony joining us in this initiative, Star Overseas has the capacity to further expand its support of a new generation of actors and showcase Asia's young filmmakers to the world," Chow said.

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

A Hope is gonna be an awesome film--Stephen Chow meets aliens.  that just sounds awesome.
- Buster Keaton

Ravi

Kung Fu Hustle Axe-Kickin' Edition on July 31

Culver City, Calif. (May 21, 2007) – Comedy and martial arts collide as director Stephen Chow (Shaolin Soccer) takes it up a notch with the Golden Globe®-nominated (Best Foreign Language Film, 2006) comedic martial-arts adventure, Kung Fu Hustle Axe-Kickin' Edition. The action-packed DVD will be available from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on July 31. Set in 1940's Shanghai, where the streets are overruled by gangs, the harder-than-jade residents of Pig Sty Alley help turn a wannabe gangster, Sing (Chow), into an unlikely kung fu hero. Martial arts fans will definitely flip over the jaw-dropping fight sequences by Yuen Wo Ping, famed action choreographer of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and The Matrix. Kung Fu Hustle will blow fans of martial arts films away. From wildly imaginative kung fu showdowns to dance sequences featuring tuxedoed mobsters, Kung Fu Hustle Axe-Kickin' Edition is sure to be a collector's item when it becomes available for a SRP of $19.94.

Synopsis:
Set in pre-revolutionary China, Kung Fu Hustle revolves around small-time thief Sing (Chow), who aspires to be a member of the sophisticated and ruthless Axe Gang. Sing stumbles across a crowded apartment complex known as Pig Sty Alley, where he and his friend attempt to extort money from one of the ordinary locals. Sing inadvertently attracts the Axe Gang into the area, setting off a chain of events that bring the two disparate worlds face-to-face. As the townspeople of Pig Sty fight for their lives, the ensuing clash of kung fu titans unearths some legendary martial arts masters. Sing, despite his clumsy attempts, lacks the killer instinct and must face his own mortality to discover that he is the greatest kung fu master of them all, destined to protect the sacred street.

DVD BONUS FEATURES INCLUDE:
Comedy Central interview with Stephen Chow
Outtakes and bloopers
Storyboard comparison
Three behind-the-scenes featurettes
"Dressed to Kill," costume design
"Bringing Down the House," production design
"Organized Chaos, " Yuen Wo Ping and fight choreography

Kung Fu Hustle Axe-Kickin' Edition has a runtime of 99 minutes and is rated R for sequences of strong stylized action and violence. Artwork is available at www.SPHEPublicity.com. Visit Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com.

Kung Fu Hustle Deluxe Edition
DVD Catalog #: 14355
DVD UPC Code: 043396143555
DVD Order Date: 6/28/07
DVD SRP: $19.94