last life in the universe

Started by pete, August 26, 2004, 11:35:16 PM

Ravi

What edition is that?  The one on DVDbeaver is this one:

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

modage

i just saw this.  pete, write an essay on it for the green screen. http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=7256&start=15  i'd like to know more about why you loved it.  also, it looked like it was shot on dv.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

i had the same problem playing on this girl's TV--how the colors were very cold (video cold) and parts of the screen was cropped (still wide but not wide enough).  I played it on my computer and it was fine.  I hope you can find a better DVD player soon before you return it.  

I don't have that much to write about, it's easy to go on and on about a movie you hate, but a movie you love there really isn't that much to say.  I laughed at the black comedy and squirmed at the shots and fell in love with the guy and the girl as they fell in love with each other.  then in the end I felt a bit loss.  I was quite aware that I was watching something great as it unfolded (this doesn't happen often, for example, I didn't think Bad Education was good until I thought about it as the credits scrolled).  So I dunno, I'd like to know what you didn't like about it.
- Buster Keaton

Ghostboy

I finally watched this. I liked it a lot, but it didn't quite hit me the way it has many other people. I didn't feel that Kenji's character, so well established initially, was developed too well. And I could have done without the mobsters ever showing up again (although I did like seeing Miike there) - actually, I could have done without that subplot altogether. I loved the central relationship, and I didn't actually dislike anything in the film overall, but I wasn't ecstatic about any of it. It didn't hit enough extremes for me, emotionally.

xerxes

i had this sitting in my room for about two weeks and i finally got around to it. i have to agree with ghostboy. that whole gangster subplot didn't really work for me at all.  it would have been a much simpler, much better film without it. but i still enjoyed it and why won't chris doyle shoot my movies damnit?

pete

- Buster Keaton

xerxes

Quote from: petey'all made me sad.

sorry, i did like it though

Myxo

Do I need to blind buy this, or should I Netflix it first?

xerxes

Quote from: MyxomatosisDo I need to blind buy this, or should I Netflix it first?

i'd say if you have netflix, you might as well use it.  what could it hurt?

Jeremy Blackman

It wasn't as profound as I expected, but I liked it.

I loved the delayed title card. I also loved the ending. Especially the cut to credits... that was beautiful.

ono

Saw this.  Was detached for most of the time and still don't know what to make of it.  Detached appreciation is all I can really muster, though I did admire it in the end and really don't know why.  It had a hard time holding my attention, although I know it was worth more than that.  It's worth a second viewing, for sure.