Sicko - Michael Moore's Next

Started by modage, July 27, 2004, 11:30:05 AM

cine

Quote from: MacGuffin on June 29, 2007, 01:06:35 AMSo we sailed into the mined waters of Guantanamo Bay with sick 9/11 workers and a bullhorn."
yeah, all that was missing was the Benny Hill music.

Jeremy Blackman

This felt like a hard punch in the stomach, and I needed it. Bowling for Columbine and Fahrenheit 9/11 surprised me and made me think, sure... but this is on an entirely different level. I cried like a baby.

MacGuffin

Michael Moore's finances in robust health
The 'Sicko' director has an unprecedented deal for the documentary's profits, which he says ensures his continued independence.
Source: Los Angeles Times

Thanks to a lucrative contract negotiated with the Weinstein Co. by his talent agent, Endeavor's Ari Emanuel, Michael Moore is in line to receive 50% of "Sicko's" gross profits — arguably one of the most lucrative deals on Hollywood's books, richer even than that enjoyed by the likes of Tom Cruise, Julia Roberts and director Peter Jackson. After theater owners have taken their cut, in other words, "Sicko's" profits will be split in half between Moore and Harvey and Bob Weinstein, whose Weinstein Co. is releasing the film nationally today.

And that's not the only place Moore's deal eclipses almost all movie deals. While most actors and directors get a cut calculated on 20% of a film's DVD revenue, Moore's cut of those earnings is calculated based on all of the DVD proceeds. Of course, since Moore's films take in far less than most big-studio movies, hisbigger slice is of a much smaller pie.

The ramifications of that loaded deal are not lost on the filmmaker, particularly since "Sicko" is arguably his most populist film yet.

"It's a really interesting irony for me," Moore says, as his chauffeured Lexus SUV (a hybrid) steers through afternoon traffic on the filmmaker's return from a taping of "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno."

While some filmmakers' wealth can make their films seem elitist, Moore argues that his moviemaking and financial accomplishments actually have allowed him to remain even more focused on the real world.

"What it should do to me is remind me every single day that I have an even greater responsibility to do good with the success that I have been blessed with," Moore says. "I need to make sure that I am able to make the next film with the money that I have made on this film."

By being financially independent, Moore says, he is insulated from the corporate pressures that might try to dilute his impassioned documentaries, which include "Roger & Me," "Bowling for Columbine" and the Oscar-winning "Fahrenheit 9/11."

"The money allows me to never have to give in, never compromise," says Moore, wearing his trademark T-shirt, jeans and windbreaker, his Michigan State baseball hat off for the moment. "Nothing can ever be held over my head in the sense of, 'If you don't do this, we won't give you your money!' 'Oh, wow, I guess I'll be in really bad shape, won't I?'

"That's an enormous bit of freedom that I have — to stay completely true to the things I believe in. But I have an even greater responsibility because I have been blessed with that great success. I challenge myself with that, constantly."

During Moore's visit to Los Angeles this week, it was easy to see the different worlds in which he moves. On Monday night, he unveiled "Sicko" at an outdoor screening in front of 200 homeless people on skid row. The next night, he introduced the film to some of the town's richest residents at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' theater in Beverly Hills.

Moments after sitting on Leno's "Tonight Show" couch, Moore mingled with the production crew, several of whom shared their healthcare horror stories and asked what they could do to improve the nation's healthcare system.

Moore says he had not been prepared for that kind of reaction. He knew that nearly everybody had their own horrible insurance tales — he received 25,000 e-mails when he solicited such stories — but he didn't expect that "Sicko" would encourage so much activism.

"Certainly, the No. 1 question I get asked is, 'What can I do?' " Moore says. "I am not prepared for that. Because I am not leading a movement to revolutionize the healthcare system in America. I am making a movie. I have spent a year and a half making this film, and this is my contribution."

Unlike most other filmmakers who decry piracy, Moore says he doesn't really mind that "Sicko" was available for unauthorized Internet downloading well before the film was released theatrically — even though it has taken money right out of his pocket.

"Harvey [Weinstein] cares deeply," Moore says. "But I want people to see it, and I believe information and art should be shared. I don't believe I am the owner of that. Now, I don't think you have the right to download my work and sell it for a profit. But I just disagree with this whole concept that sharing is bad."

"If Harvey were sitting here, he'd say, 'Well, you'd make less money.' And I'd say, 'That's exactly right. Because I don't need to make all the money I make.' "

Moore says his first-class travel, accommodations and car service are not his choice, or even his preference (the latter statement has been disputed by some people who have worked with him).

"Harvey pays for all this," he says. "I would never stay at the Four Seasons, with all due respect to the Four Seasons. If I were coming out here on my own, I would never stay there. They pay for that because that's the workplace and I'm working and we do the junket there."

People who resent his wealth, Moore says, are not generally working-class stiffs like himself who have moved into the upper class. "When one of us succeeds, we're happy about that. We don't begrudge that. The begrudging that comes from my success or my financial success comes from people who grew up in a little nicer home and somehow didn't get the same break that I was fortunate enough to get in this business. So they are embittered."

Moore says he still likes living in Michigan and the friends he has there. If money has changed him, he says, why haven't his movies changed too?

Eighteen years ago this September he was sent first-class tickets to come out here and promote "Roger & Me." "So look at the films in between," he says as his driver pulls into the Four Seasons driveway, "and ask yourself if any of that has really mattered."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Source: Hollywood Elsewhere

Yesterday's big argument on CNN's "Situation Room" between Sicko director Michael Moore and host Wolf Blitzer was splendid, riveting television and one of the strongest truth-in-media grenade blasts that has ever been felt on a mainstream news show.

Before bringing Moore on Blitzer presented a video report by CNN's medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta that reviewed Moore's occasional fact-fudging and simplifying in Sicko (which is true in some instances), particularly focusing on Moore's unmitigated admiration of Canadian and European health systems. But it was a typically slanted report that quoted a typical corporate-minded anti-universal health care analyst. Moore was understandably pissed and hit the roof when questioned, calling the report "biased" and "crap."

Moore then derided Gupta and Blitzer for spinning the Big Lie. He asked Blitzer to "tell the truth to the American people...just once...you guys have such a poor track record, and for me to come on here and listen to that kind of crap....you fudged the facts about this issue and the war in Iraq...why did it take you so long, Wolf, to take on Vice President Cheney? I'm just wondering when you're going to apologize to the American people and the troops....I just wonder when the American people are going to turn off their TV sets and stop listening to this stuff."

And then at the very end Lou Dobbs comes on and says Moore "as more of a left-wing promoter than Cesar Chavez, for crying out loud!" Dobbs is my idea of a real establishment prig, and the Cesar Chavez that I came to know in The Revolution Won't Be Televized isn't such a bad guy.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

I don't think any self respecting human being with an education (or at the very least, a brain) watches CNN, FNC, or MSNBC. Those channels don't have news, they have opinion. It's a bunch of people arguing for one side or the other. Everyone is just running in place thinking their making ground while shouting and pointing fingers.

If Jesus returned these channels wouldn't even be reporting about it, they'd just be arguing about it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

grand theft sparrow

No, they'd just start reporting on the war once they realized that Jesus didn't bring Anna Nicole with him.

pete

that's one pretty cool thing about michael moore--he'll throw down anywhere and he knows how to beat the news clowns at their game.

as for the movie, I saw it last friday night.  I wanted to see ratatoulie but the girl bought the tickets already.  the human aspect of it was really good--the heartbreaking stories were affecting and outrageous, but I fell asleep during a lot of that European healthcare stuff, only to wake up for the climax.

yeah, any news program that actually has a segment called "reality check" deserves a beating.  I think the news used to be just as biased, but now it's just a lot tackier.  I don't mind biased news--like the new york times, I know it's middle class snobbery at its finest, and I can wade through that, but come on, spinners--have some class.

edit: nevermind--Michael Moore's website has a "sicko truth squad".
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

The more I think about it the more I think this movie was just cheesy.

The emotional aspects of it felt so scripted it's silly.

The whole Cuba trip and how Cuban doctors and nurses are like angels with their warm embraces and hugs and heartfelt reasurrances. SCRIPTED.

Then the whole Cuban firefighters presenting the 9/11 rescue workers with trophies and hugs was so stupid. You could see everyone looking OC to read the cue cards.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

obviously that was staged, but the response from the subjects were genuine.  that's what moves people, genuine emotions.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

Well, it didn't move me.

He should direct Chicken Soup For The Soul next.

MacGuffin

CNN, Moore trade 'Sicko' accusations

NEW YORK -- "Sicko" filmmaker Michael Moore called a truce Monday in his weeklong fight with CNN that flared when the network accused him of fudging facts in his popular documentary about the health-care system.

Moore had promised the network over the weekend that "I'm about to become your worst nightmare," leading CNN to post on its Web site a remarkably lengthy response to his accusations.

He noted in an interview Monday that CNN had admitted to two mistakes in reporting on "Sicko" and that he's willing to move on.

"I trust the intelligence of the American people," Moore told The Associated Press. "I don't think there's a whole lot more to do with this other than I and others are going to be a lot more skeptical with what I see on CNN."

CNN, in its statement, noted that it has given Moore multiple opportunities to discuss his concerns about the report on the air.

"It's ironic that someone who has made a career out of holding powerful interests accountable is so sensitive to having his own work held up to the light by impartial journalists, as we did in our examination of 'Sicko,"' CNN said.

Shortly before Moore appeared for an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer last week, the network ran a report by Dr. Sanjay Gupta that had done some fact-checking on Moore's movie. Gupta's report made Moore furious, leading to a contentious segment with Blitzer and a debate with Gupta on "Larry King Live" later in the week.

Gupta addressed several statistics in "Sicko" before concluding: "No matter how much Moore fudged the facts -- and he did fudge some facts -- there is one thing everyone can agree on: the (health care) system here should be far better."

In Gupta's report, CNN had said that Moore had reported that Cuba spends $25 per person for health care. In fact, the movie estimates Cuba's spending at $251 per person. CNN blamed a transcription error for its mistake and apologized for it on and off the air.

The network accuses Moore of "cherry-picking" numbers from different academic studies to make his arguments stronger. CNN said it believes in essentially comparing apples with apples. Moore said he tried to use the most recent data available.

Moore was also angry that Gupta interviewed Paul Keckley, who works for the Deloitte Center for Health Solutions, as a critic of "Sicko." Moore said Deloitte's chairman is Tommy Thompson, President Bush's former health and human services secretary, and that Keckley had made political contributions to Republican candidates and organizations.

The second mistake came not in Gupta's original report -- where Keckley was correctly identified as representing Deloitte -- but in an on-air debate where Gupta claimed Keckley was working for Vanderbilt University.

"His only affiliation is with Vanderbilt University," Gupta said. "We checked it, Michael. We checked his conflict of interest. We do ask those questions."

While CNN noted Moore was correct in pointing out Keckley had left Vanderbilt last year, it said Keckley's comments were factual and descriptive. Deloitte says it does not have a political agenda.

In other instances, CNN said Moore appeared to be creating a fight where none really existed. The network said it was comfortable letting viewers judge for themselves.

Moore said he believed it was important for him to let people know his side. "In the report they say that I fudged the facts," he said, "and they didn't find a single fact that I fudged."

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

The only real fact: Michael Moore loves fudge.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

At least Michael Moore is on the right track with this one. Columbine felt a bit misguided, F911 felt too pointed, but health care really is a problem that surpasses sad stories and Eurocentric attitudes.  It is constantly suppressed, and so at least 25% of the movie had something worth seeing.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye