Thumbsucker

Started by cron, April 27, 2004, 05:46:13 PM

Redlum

I didnt really get a kick out of the trailer but I've got to hear Elliot Smith sing 'Trouble'. Its another one of those songs that are perfect for his voice like previous covers of 'Waterloo Sunset' and 'Jealous Guy'. Any new material by him has to be savoured.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Redlum

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

72teeth

Thanks ®edlum, Ive been listening to this like crazy...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Figure 8

Quote from: 72teethThanks ®edlum, Ive been listening to this like crazy...
Yes, I would like to thank you as well.  That song really does fit his voice excellently.

modage

i just saw a thing on IFC for this movie and it looks really good actually.   i'll probably just rent it though.
edit: i think i'm gonna see this soon.

on iTunes you can only buy the Elliott Smith songs by album, not by track.  EVERY other song you can buy individually though.  THIS PISSES ME OFF.  see what happens when i try to buy music legally?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Here's my interview with the director and star of Thumbsucker I'm afraid its length is rather inversely related to its informative quality, but I'm not a professional journalist and am somewhat obsessed with providing (almost) full transcriptions of these conversations. It's sorta like screenwriting practice, in a way.

modage

i just saw this.  it was good-ish, probably more of a rental though.  i thought it had some really good parts sprinkled througout but more of a 'well, thats promising (actor/director/etc.)' than a 'i'd pay $12 to see that again!'  C+
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

the last part was good, but it was a pretty boring film at times, and the camera being on the tripod for most of the film didn't help.  it was way too familiar and predictable, though the acting was great all around.  the entire middle part where he was on ritalin was highly unnecesasry and bland.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ultrahip

You're glib, Pete. Do you even know what ritalin is?

noyes

Quote from: petethe entire middle part where he was on ritalin was highly unnecesasry and bland.

i agree and i think you're totally right. that's exactly when the film lost its pace. it started to drag on a bit. but it was okay. a "good-ish" film.
south america's my name.

pete

Quote from: Ultrahip Lobster SupperYou're glib, Pete. Do you even know what ritalin is?

you're ritalin do you even glib what know is?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Figure 8

I think I'm probably going to be alone on this one, but I just got back from this and loved it.

modage

for samsong...

Title: Thumbsucker
Released: 24th January 2006
SRP: $26.96

Further Details:
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has released artwork for Thumbsucker which stars Keanu Reeves, Tilda Swinton and Lou Pucci. The film tells the story of a teenager who still sucks his thumb. Realizing it's totally disrupting his home, love and school love life, he allows his orthodontist to break him of the habit through hypnosis. Justin begins to experiment with prescription drugs, pot and sex as alternate means to overcome his anxieties and become "normal," never realizing normal is just a state of mind. The disc will be available to own from the 24th January, and should retail at around $26.96. As well as an anamorphic widescreen transfer and English Dolby Digital 5.0 track, the disc will include an audio commentary with writer/director Mike Mills and preview trailers. The official region one package artwork is attached below:

Ghostboy

Who keeps hiring this graphic designer? First Me And You and now this...

Anonymous Joe

Mike Mills is an accomplished designer, so he may have done it himself.