pete

Quote from: Film Student
This is the thing: you can state an opinion

or you can Garden State an opinion.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Mesh

Look pal, there's no need to preface arguments/debates with "now this is just my opinion but blah blah blah", I'm just basically calling for some civility and mutual respect, nothing more.  

This is the thing: you can state an opinion, however inflamatory it may be, with no preface.  For all I care you can say "I fucking hate Garden State and Zach Braff needs to die, etc", but when someone challenges your statement (and it's gonna happen, this is a message board), you should be prepared to back it up with a reasonable argument that displays a sense of respect for the other person's opinion.  There are a lot of different sensibilities and opinions found on this board, and everyone (for the most part) peacefully co-exists.  It just needs to stay that way.

I completely respect the fact that a lot of this movie didn't work for you.  I just wish you could respect the fact that it DID work for a lot of us.

You sound fucking 12 and I never disrespected anyone's opinions or oh-so-important "peaceful co-existence."  I've been both civil and opinionated and NOT DULL.  You've been pretty reactionary and sensitive in this thread.  Maybe you should look into scoring some lithium.

But back on topic (kinda):  Do you guys think the title Garden State was meant as double entendre, i.e. both Jersey's moniker and sort of a play on Large's lithium-induced "vegetative" state?  That's rather clever, intentional or otherwise.

Film Student

Quote from: Mesh

Look pal, there's no need to preface arguments/debates with "now this is just my opinion but blah blah blah", I'm just basically calling for some civility and mutual respect, nothing more.  

This is the thing: you can state an opinion, however inflamatory it may be, with no preface.  For all I care you can say "I fucking hate Garden State and Zach Braff needs to die, etc", but when someone challenges your statement (and it's gonna happen, this is a message board), you should be prepared to back it up with a reasonable argument that displays a sense of respect for the other person's opinion.  There are a lot of different sensibilities and opinions found on this board, and everyone (for the most part) peacefully co-exists.  It just needs to stay that way.

I completely respect the fact that a lot of this movie didn't work for you.  I just wish you could respect the fact that it DID work for a lot of us.

You sound fucking 12 and I never disrespected anyone's opinions or oh-so-important "peaceful co-existence."  I've been civil and opinionated and NOT DULL.  You've been pretty reactionary and sensitive in this thread.  Maybe you should look into scoring some lithium.

I Sound 12? I just asked for debate to remain respectful and civil.

I HAVE been reactionary and a bit sensitive, but I think now I'm being as diplomatic as I possibly can.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

RegularKarate

Seriously, Mesh, shut the fuck up... there's being funny and there's being a fuck-wit... guess which one you're being.

Again, people, if you're gonna be a dick, you had better be funny... if you're just gonna drop the same two lame insults, then don't bother, it's anoying and pointless.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Have you guys resolved anything yet?  

We're sort of discussing Garden State (or trying to) right now.

Thank you.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Mesh

A.  Yeah, I'm real excited to see him re-make About Schmidt for emo teens again.  Whoopee.

C.  Portman's character was obviously not a music moron.  She owned about a zillion albums on vinyl.  That moment is a) not credible because Portman would never have said a stupid thing like that if she was as knowledgeable about music as she was presented to be, b) annoying because she said it so sincerely; Portman, the actress obviously has no idea how real interaction between humans/music nerds actually happens and c) "New Slang" is nothing approaching a life-changing type song.  It's a gorgeous ballad about soured love and the author's desire to go back, but it's not earth-shattering.  It's not "life-changing."  It doesn't comment upon the themes/narratives of the film's characters either.  It's cool that Garden State/Braff decided to give The Shins such props, but it just didn't work at the cinematic/narrative/emotional/characterization level.  Sorry.

A: Yeah, well, that's, just like, your opinion, man.

Seriously though, how old are you?

B: That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Film Student

When I asked you how old you were, I was being completely sincere; Garden State is about twentysomethings going through a "quarter-life crisis" as Braff calls it.  I was asking you how old you were because I was wondering if you fell into that age range.  

If you read the rest of my post, I continued it with "Haven't you ever felt displaced, depressed with where you were as a young adult," etc.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Mesh

Quote from: Film StudentWhen I asked you how old you were, I was being completely sincere; Garden State is about twentysomethings going through a "quarter-life crisis" as Braff calls it.  I was asking you how old you were because I was wondering if you fell into that age range.  

If you read the rest of my post, I continued it with "Haven't you ever felt displaced, depressed with where you were as a young adult," etc.

If I were going through a "quarter-life crisis" right at this very moment, that'd imply that I'll live to be 120.  Sweet!

Quote from: bigideas5. now i remember #3. the song/rendition at the funeral. that was pretty hilarious.

Again, funnier than it was in any way believeable.

"Balls on forehead" was believeable and funny.  Writing all over his body: not so much.

sickfins

SHAFTR

Quote from: Film StudentWhen I asked you how old you were, I was being completely sincere; Garden State is about twentysomethings going through a "quarter-life crisis" as Braff calls it.  I was asking you how old you were because I was wondering if you fell into that age range.  

If I were going through a "quarter-life crisis" right at this very moment, that'd imply that I'll live to be 120.  Sweet!

kind of old to act like such a little bitch.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

tpfkabi

Quote from: bigideasMesh
Quote from: bigideas5. now i remember #3. the song/rendition at the funeral. that was pretty hilarious.

Again, funnier than it was in any way believeable.

"Balls on forehead" was believeable and funny.  Writing all over his body: not so much.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well, the Dr's wall wasn't very realistic either, but it was quite funny.
you must remember...........this is a movie.  do you really think Barry Egan would run to Utah with a phone still held up to his ear?

no.

i really didn't understand the writing all over his chest when he got the cat scan(?) done. that made no sense to me.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Raikus

Quote from: bigideasi really didn't understand the writing all over his chest when he got the cat scan(?) done. that made no sense to me.
Really? That was a great continuation of the joke. While he was passed out from the drugs, they not only wrote 'BALLS' on his face, but all the other graphitti on the rest of his body. He only finds out once he disrobes for the examination table.

Ba-da-dump!
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

pete

I'm not rooting for anybody, but c'mon, Mesh didn't really lose that badly, he and film student both are pretty deep in the same mud.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: peteI'm not rooting for anybody, but c'mon, Mesh didn't really lose that badly, he and film student both are pretty deep in the same mud.
I think the picture is more of a declaration than an observation. Either way, we should all appreciate sickfins' melodramatic contribution.

MacGuffin

Whoever wins, we lose.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks