War Of The Worlds

Started by MacGuffin, March 17, 2004, 01:02:10 AM

b. real

i can't believe i sat through this.  

booooooo
pushups are good.

Dtm115300

Wow im seeing alot of negative comments about this film. Now granted i walked in expecting more form a spielberg film, and i was alittle disapointed with the way the movie it ended (even though it says true to the story). But the movie was really not that bad. I have to say that i think the movie could have been shorter. The scene with Tom and the crazy guy sreaming "not my blood" was way to long and drawn out. That whole sequence took like 30mins to play out. It just didn't do anything for me.

Kal

For some reason I just was able to go and see this yesterday for the first time. I read the book many years ago, I re-read it last year when I heard of the project, and I love almost every Spielberg movie.

But this was just a tremendous piece of shit.

I was waiting for something good to happen the whole movie, and it never happened. It was all so ridiculous and so NOT-original that I just couldnt believe my eyes. The excitement I had to see this for such a long time lasted until the first 20 minutes into the movie... and then I couldnt understand how someone so brilliant like Spielberg and an actor that I really admire can take a fantastic book and 100 million dollars and make that piece of shit.

JG

i have a hard time believing that tom cruise and spielberg were behind this movie.  

sure, a father winning over his kid's love may have been original when the book was written but it's just turned into a movie cliche.  Every character was so one-dimensional.    

Had Spielberg just used the book as a starting point, the movie would be way better.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: JimmyGator
Had Spielberg just used the book as a starting point actually tried, the movie would be way better.

hedwig

Quote from: JimmyGatorHad Spielberg just used the book as a starting point, the movie would be way better.

what do you mean? he did use the book as a starting point. literally. the film begins with words directly from the book.

Kal

Yeah thats the only good part of the film

JG

what i meant was had he changed things around from the book.  Tripods just dont make sense.  It's a lot more efficent to have four legs.   Plus, that whole step-dad winning over his kids hearts may have been original 100 years ago, but now its just a stupid movie cliche.  

i don't know...

MacGuffin

DreamWorks has finally announced Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds for 11/22. The film will be available on DVD in three versions: single-disc anamorphic widescreen and full frame standard editions (SRP $29.99 each) and also a two-disc anamorphic widescreen Limited Edition (SRP $36.98 ). Audio on all three versions will be English and French Dolby Digital 5.1, and English DTS 5.1. Extras will include Designing the Enemy: Tripods and Aliens featurette.

The 2-disc Limited Edition will include that, along with Revisiting the Invasion (an introduction by Spielberg), the 4-part Production Diary documentary (2 parts for Filming on the East Coast and 2 parts for Filming on the West Coast), 4 behind-the-scenes featurettes (The HG Wells Legacy, Characters: The Family Unit of War of the Worlds, Pre-Visualization and Scoring War of the Worlds), We are Not Alone (closing words by Spielberg), galleries of design artwork and production photos, and the film's theatrical trailers.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

i hope it contains giggle free featurettes.

Myxo

No commentary with Tom Cruise? :yabbse-undecided:

I was looking forward to his fake laugh.

Stefen

I read this book this week so I decided to watch this movie again and I can't remember why I liked it so much when I saw it back in 05. It's got some cool parts, and it looks really cool but the story and characters are a fucking mess. The dumb son was the worst thing about it. They should have called it the dumb son.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

matt35mm

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Alexandro

SPOILERS

Everything involving the dumb son in this movie is bad, including the ending with the dumb son magically alive for no other purpose than put the sappy in an otherwise nightmarish, extremely dark and violent film.

Despite this (and it's a big THIS) the film is very enjoyable because Spielberg is doing some wild shit with the set pieces and the camera movements. And it's a good post 9/11 take on the same story. If he wasn't so hung up in cramming characters with "father issues" every single fucking time this might have been one of his best movies.