Aeon Flux

Started by MacGuffin, February 27, 2004, 03:21:49 AM

meatwad

Quote from: bonanzatazi hope that when the movie comes out, they'll release dvd sets of the original series, along with the maxx and the head..

oh man, the head was such a great cartoon. I really hope this comes out on DVD.

i don't remember the maxx though

MacGuffin

FLUX Cast in Flux
Marton Csokas and Jonny Lee Miller among those joining Charlize Theron in futuristic actioner Aeon Flux.
Source: FilmStew.com

Peter Chung's big screen version of the futuristic MTV animated series Aeon Flux is rounding out its cast. Joining Oscar-winning actresses Charlize Theron (Monster) and Frances McDormand (Fargo) are Marton Csokas, Jonny Lee Miller, Sophie Okonedo, Amelia Warner and Caroline Chikezie.

Slated for release in 2005, Aeon Flux is set 400 years in the future, when disease has wiped out the majority of the earth's population except for one walled, protected city-state, Bregna, ruled by a congress of scientists. Theron plays the title role of Aeon Flux, the top operative in the underground Monican rebellion, led by the Handler (McDormand). When Aeon is sent on a mission to kill the government's leader (Csokas), she uncovers a world of secrets, which makes her question everything she thought she knew.

Director Karyn Kusama (Girlfight) will helm the film with Gale Anne Hurd, David Gale, Gary Lucchesi and Greg Goodman producing. Tom Rosenberg and Van Toffler are executive producers. The screenplay was written by Phil Hay & Matt Manfredi. The film is a Valhalla Motion Pictures and MTV Films production. Filming is scheduled to begin in early August in Berlin.

A New Zealand native, Csokas, who plays Trevor "the Chairman" Goodchild, recently completed production on Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven and The Great Raid. Csokas has also starred in films such as The Bourne Supemacy, XXX, Kangaroo Jack, Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones and as Celeborn in The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings.

Miller portrays Trevor's younger brother, Oren Goodchild, who believes in the order of the city-state and seeks to crush the rebellion. Miller's credits include the psychological action-thriller Mindhunters as well as Afterglow, Dracula 2000, Love, Honour & Obey, Trainspotting and Hackers.

Okonedo, who portrays Aeon's protege and rebel operative Sithandra, starred in the critically acclaimed feature film Dirty Pretty Things as well as in Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls and the recently completed film Hotel Rwanda. Warner, who plays Aeon's beloved sister Una Flux, co-starred in the feature films Quills, Winter Passing and Love's Brother.

Chikezie, who stars as Elaine Hardy in the hit British TV series The Footballers' Wives, will play Freya, the loyal aide to Trevor Goodchild. Chikezie, a popular television actress in England, has also starred in the miniseries 40 and as a regular on the series Holby City and As If....
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

diggler

i can't imagine a live action version living up to the cartoon.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

MacGuffin

Theron injury puts prod'n in 'Flux'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

An injury Charlize Theron suffered on the set of Paramount Pictures/MTV Films' "Aeon Flux" has forced production to shut down on the sci-fi actioner for an indefinite number of weeks. The delay also could have a domino effect on Theron's next project, Warner Bros. Pictures' "Class Action," which is scheduled to start filming early next year.

Theron had been working in Berlin, where production on "Flux" began Aug. 16. The injury happened while Theron was performing stunts in wire-hanging action, according to unit publicist Jeanmarie Carrasco, quoted in an Associated Press report.

Asked for further detail, Carrasco only would say: "She sustained an injury, and we are closing down for a few weeks so that she can be 100% when she returns. She wasn't hospitalized, but I can't comment on anything specific about her injuries." Carrasco said no cameras were rolling at the time of the incident.

Theron's rep, PMK/HBH's Amanda Silverman, acknowledged that the actress had sustained an injury, saying, "She's resting and hopes to be back to work soon."

According to sources close to the film, Theron hurt her neck while performing stunts on a trampoline late last week. She was taken to a hospital for examination and flew back Tuesday to Los Angeles, where she is expected to meet with her personal doctors to further evaluate the situation.

Because it is anticipated doctors might want to monitor Theron's condition over the next several weeks, the production will not resume for a minimum of six weeks, sources said.

Paramount spokesperson Jasmine Madatian would not comment on the extent of Theron's injury or the exact circumstances under which it occurred. She would not say how long the production could remain shut down. Silverman said, "The time off is still to be determined."

"Aeon Flux," budgeted at less than $55 million, is considered a physically demanding project for Theron, who stars as a top assassin who is part of a rebellion sent to kill a government leader. Based on Peter Chung's futuristic MTV animated series, the film is being produced by Gale Anne Hurd, David Gale, Gary Lucchesi and Greg Goodman.

Because of the injury, there is a potential that Theron's upcoming project could be affected. Following "Aeon Flux," the Oscar-winning "Monster" star is due to topline Warners' "Class Action" for helmer Niki Caro. That project, scheduled to start early next year, now could be pushed back to accommodate Theron's recovery and any delays in the remaining "Aeon Flux" schedule. "We are waiting three weeks to evaluate her condition and at that time, we will decide," a Warners spokesperson said in reference to "Class Action."

Theron had planned to attend the upcoming Toronto International Film Festival, but now that, too, is in doubt. The actress was due to visit Toronto for the world premiere of John Duigan's "Head in the Clouds," in which she stars opposite boyfriend Stuart Townsend and Penelope Cruz. Silverman said she's not sure if Theron will attend.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

who  does she think she is, halle berry?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

The cartoon was rocking, so I imagine this won't be.

It's hard to do an adaptation of a cartoon because you have Hype to live up to, but you also have to somehow compact story into an hour and a half or so, and then stretch it again to fit an hour and a half or so, using short cartoon shows.

I'll definitely watch the trailer.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

The Perineum Falcon

From your friends at Twitchfilms.com:

First image of Theron as Aeon Flux

A Charlize Theron fansite has posted the first image of the lanky lass in her Aeon Flux kit. It may be scanned from an unknown magazine but it loses none of it's... uh... effectiveness.

http://www.twitchfilm.com/pics/aeon-flux-full.html

Your cold shower awaits you!
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

diggler

her look is actually kind of disappointing, actually. is that spandex? i was expecting some good ol' vinyl.

i smell shit
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

tpfkabi

yeah, that outfit doesn't resemble the cartoon's at all.

on the Liquid Television side of things:
does anyone remember a short were someone had these ozone missiles/rockets or something.......maybe strapped on their back........i think they shot them and then there was a hole in the ozone and it burned someone/something.........eh, i can't remember
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Weak2ndAct

That costume is laaaaaaame.  In the scene that snap is from, Charlize better like, rip that shit off and get into the real outfit.

Ugh.  It's gonna be some Tomb Raider crap, I just know it.  They really just follow the show:

- Have her do acrobatic shit while dressed like a dominatrix
- Show her killing everyone in sight
- And then kill her off every ten minutes

That would satisfy me.

NEON MERCURY

i was expecting something more like this...

...not a damn ballet costume.

Sal

Looks like Cirque du soleil had input into the costume design as well...

MacGuffin

Comic-Con 2005: Aeon Flux Panel
Charlize shoots 'em up.

The cavernous Hall H at the absurdly huge San Diego Convention Center was packed with fanboys Saturday, all of whom were there to ogle Oscar winner Charlize Theron ... oh, yeah, and to check out clips from her next film, the live-action feature version of MTV's animated series Aeon Flux.

Theron was on-hand along with co-star Marton Csokas, director Karyn Kusama, producers David Gale and Gale Anne Hurd, and creator Peter Cheung. Theron looked positively statuesque in a frilly black outfit, almost overdressed for Comic-Con but, hey, she was undeniably and radiantly beautiful.

Theron advised fans that she was looking for something completely unlike her previous film, the true crime tale Monster, when then-studio head Sherry Lansing approached her about the title role in Paramount's long-gestating Aeon Flux movie. Theron was initially reluctant as it was a genre she was unfamiliar with and unsure if she complemented. After a few meetings with Kusama, however, Theron was won over.

The futuristic film follows the sexy, deadly Aeon Flux's mission to assassinate Trevor Goodchild (Csokas), the leader of the last city on earth. Ever the rebel, though, Aeon begins to question her mission.

The audience was treated with a first look at the trailer for Aeon Flux. Theron seems made of elastic in some scenes, spreading, flipping and fighting at a variety of angles. The style of the film was very Matrix-like but that can be said of almost any genre film now, and is an often unfair comparison considering how much the Matrix trilogy borrowed from other films. But I digress ...

To Theron, "the core" of Aeon Flux is her constant questioning of authority. "When you have a character like that, it's fun to play. There's never just one answer, one scenario. ... It's very mysterious." Theron did not approach the character or the material as being fantasy fare but rather as "very real."

To prepare for the role, Theron underwent months of grueling training, including martial arts and dance (stretching was key for her most difficult moves). Theron also did a great deal of wire-work, badly injuring herself at one point.

Overall, the Aeon Flux footage seemed to wow the crowd ... but considering last year's Comic-Con crowds also wildly applauded the Paramount underperformers Sky Captain and Team America, I'm not sure if that is any real indication of this film's potential success. Like Sky Captain, the dialogue and acting in the Aeon Flux footage was very wooden but the action was intense and the imagery potent ("Stay off the grass" – you'll find out). We'll see if that's enough to make Aeon Flux a blockbuster hit when it opens this fall.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

god, at least make the costume white so we can see detailed contours.
under the paving stones.