The Green Hornet

Started by Banky, February 18, 2004, 12:39:28 PM

Pubrick

ppl will be calling it a comic book film cos everyone will also be calling it the fucking Green LANTERN.

poor gondry can't catch a break.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

'Green Hornet' will be converted to 3D; release date pushed
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Sony on Thursday announced Hollywood's latest 3D conversion, with the studio vowing to execute the "Green Hornet" enhancements in top quality and produce all of its visual effects shots in original 3D.

To accommodate the work, the Seth Rogen starrer will move from its previous release date of Dec. 22 to Jan. 14. The move to next year's Martin Luther King weekend represents the most recent of four dates penciled in for the comics-based actioner's domestic debut at different points.

To allow the "Hornet" move, Sony will shift comics-inspired vampire actioner "Priest" from a Jan. 14 launch to March 4. "Priest" has long been tagged as a 3D production.

Sony domestic distribution president Rory Bruer said director Michel Gondry planned from the start of production for the possiblity of "Hornet" being released in 3D, though his work to date didn't include any 3D cameras.

"He always kind of shot it having the possiblity of having it in 3D in mind," Bruer said. "It's got a lot of depth and amazing visuals."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

That's it.  I'm cryogenically freezing myself.  Thaw me out when 3D is over.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

Great. Please don't let Gondry go the hack route. He's one of the good guys!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

I'm glad I'll be in a city that only has 2D options for these movies. I'd have to drive over an hour to find one with any 3D capabilities so go me and my ruralness.

72teeth

wait, wait now, this may be cool...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Stefen

Quote from: 72teeth on April 23, 2010, 03:42:46 AM
wait, wait now, this may be cool...

How? The fact that they didn't even shoot it in 3D, but want to convert it screams gimmick.

Don't do it, Gonz!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

It's probably not up to Gondry. It's becoming standard protocol for films to be transferred in post-production to 3D and since these movies are making more money, they are here to stay. This isn't just a trend.

Alexandro

yep.
and people don't give a fuck wether it was shot in 3d or converted later. supposedly some very naive persons are saying audiences get "sophisticated pretty quickly" but that is just wishful thinking at best. no one I know seemed to mind that Alice in wonderland 3d looked murky and crappy, colorless and lifeless compared to the 2d tv spots. no one in the normal audience cares that clash of the titans 3d is ages away from the avatar experience. look...people don't even notice when films are out of focus or when the volume is too low. people don't notice anything. people don't complain when they watch a fullscreen football game on a widescreen tv and everyone in it looks like overweight dwarves. so yeah, get used to this shit.

72teeth

i remember there was an interview with Fincher awhile back on how people don't know how to calibrate their fucking tv's...
(sic) "I'm going to lose it if i have to see one more television where people are chasing each other with purple guns..."
since then, ive always toned my tv by making sure black guns are black.
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

The Perineum Falcon

It's true, the general moviegoing public are pretty clueless when it comes to these things, they only believe what they're told and contemplation proceeds no further.

3d won't stop til they wise up.

I say we burn this mother fucker down.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Fernando

amen to alexandro's post.

I recently saw some movie, cant remember which one, pretty sure it sucked, anyway, every 15 seconds it made a sound like it was getting stuck or something, clearly it had to do with the projection as the frame too was out of focus for a moment, so I said to my friends:

me: don't you notice this??
them: what?
me: every 5 seconds this damn thing does this noise, and gets out of focus or something.
them: oh, yeah kinda, who cares.

I rushed outside and said to some dumb employee, hey this thing is being projected wrong, please tell them to fix it. of course they didn't and we saw the whole thing like that.

same thing happened with that mel gibson action film that is boring as hell btw, my meathead friends didn't care either only this time I didn't go outside to tell them to fix it, the movie wasn't worth the effort.

Stefen

Quote from: 72teeth on April 23, 2010, 12:38:22 PM
i remember there was an interview with Fincher awhile back on how people don't know how to calibrate their fucking tv's...
(sic) "I'm going to lose it if i have to see one more television where people are chasing each other with purple guns..."
since then, ive always toned my tv by making sure black guns are black.

haha.  :yabbse-thumbup:

Gold Trumpet

Well, the good thing is movies that will come out in a year or so will start to be more centered for 3D effects so we won't be getting these in between 3D movies like Clash of the Titans or even UP. Also, I imagine in 5 years or so, the 3D glasses won't be necessary and the technology will have the 3D components embedded into the visuals so the images will come to us normally and we won't have to be dealing with all the current annoyances of 3D.

Ultimately, I still say 3D is one of the best ways to expand the art form and make films to be inherently more visual. It just needs to catch on in more than basic and dumb ways. I'm sure Hollywood will always represent that but more good filmmakers will explore 3D and they find will good ways to stretch out the format.

Stefen

Isn't it impossible to see 3D without the glassses? Won't it always be impossible unless we get new eye balls?