The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Started by jtm, December 07, 2003, 05:27:16 PM

Redlum

:yabbse-smiley:
I'm not arguing with the theory (or Lewis's intentions) but it just bores me. I hate the idea of someone sitting in the cinema analysing every moment and comparing it to the bible, and the same goes for reading the books. And its presnece in the film (actual or interpretted) can in no way be considered subversive or harmful. A positive message is a positive message. Kids will just see some talking beavers etc.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

modage

saw this tonite.  it was okay.  never really pulled me into the story.  i remember loving the mini-series when i was a kid but maybe it wasnt better than this and my imagination just filled in the gaps then.  maybe that was better, i dont know.  there was nothing bad about it but there was nothing great either. it felt long and yet not long enough for this story if that makes any sense. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ultrahip

i don't know...i thought there were some good moments, i suppose, and the little girl who plays lucy was absolutely awesome, loved her, but as a whole this film just felt kind of unconvincing. it wasnt the cgi, that looked fine. i think most of my problems had to do with peter. his transformation into hero just felt so unconvincing and rushed, and it made him seem like a worse actor than he did in the beginning of the movie. the other problem was with the centaur sargeant or whatever he was. when he says "to the death" it's just laughable. how long has he known peter, five minutes? i get there's a prophesy and "deep magic" but this is all so undercooked it just doesn't play on screen. i love the books and get the feeling this is one of those cases where the story works far, far better on the page.

SHAFTR

Quote from: modage on December 10, 2005, 12:20:25 AM
saw this tonite.  it was okay.  never really pulled me into the story.  i remember loving the mini-series when i was a kid but maybe it wasnt better than this and my imagination just filled in the gaps then.  maybe that was better, i dont know

I was really excited for this and I walked away disappointed.  I agree that I was never engaged in the story as much as I should have.  It just kind of all felt like it was going through the motions.  I think that for Aslan, the CGI was quite impressive at times.  The rest of the CGI just looked awful and really out of place.  I never really felt excitement or anything during the action sequences, it just all seemed rather dull.  I just didn't care for the kids, and that is a big problem.

As for the Christ allegory, it is ridiculously obvious.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

tpfkabi

what did everyone think of the additions from the book?

i just don't see the reasoning behind adding things just to inflate your budget (most of the added things must have cost a ton...cgi war planes/battle, ice river sequence, overwhelming presence of wolves, etc).
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Rumor Has It Prince Caspian Is a Go
LWW enjoys a strong premiere weekend.

Aslan and The Chronicles of Narnia roared into theaters in North America and numerous international markets last week, enjoying the year's third-largest opening-weekend box office haul. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe pulled in $65 million ($107 million worldwide) – an excellent start towards recouping the $180 million that Disney and Walden Media spent on the film. The movie also fared well among critics, earning a 76% approval rating among professional film reviewers, according to Rotten Tomatoes.

There's no doubt that the studios will go ahead with the next film in the series if LWW continues its strong run. In fact, NarniaWeb already has a source claiming that Prince Caspian, the logical next book to adapt, has been greenlit for production.

It's a good bet that Andrew Adamson will return to direct the second one, although this is not confirmed. Since much of the complicated technical preparations – such as the work put into Aslan – is already done, filming could get underway as early as this summer. Children grow up fast, so there's always a bit of a rush in youth-driven franchises like Narnia and Harry Potter.

A movie based on Prince Caspian would return all four Pevensie children back to Narnia in another age, and another time of need. Narnia is under the rule of the neighboring Telmarines, and the Pevensies can help Caspian, rightful heir to the throne, lead a revolt for Narnian independence.

An official announcement on Prince Caspian could come at any time during the next month or so.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

When the BBC did it, they lumped Prince Caspian and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader together, which, I think, is a wise choice considering how sparse Prince Caspian is.  That, and the issue of how fast kids grow should both add to the decision.  One other thing to consider is The Last Battle.  If they're really thinking ahead, they'll have set to work on scripts for that, and for A Horse and His Boy.  It'll be interesting to see how they handle these discrepancies in light of the time it takes for each production, and, if they're not thinking ahead, what their other options will be.  For those familiar with all of the books, they'll understand the difficulties this entails.

tpfkabi

i'm reading Prince Caspian now and the children are supposed to be one year older than Wardrobe.
i know Horse and His Boy has them older and they're not even in Magician's Nephew.
i haven't read from Dawn Treader on.
other than that, Aslan is the only constant character, and he's just a voice (in acting terms). the kids are through it, but they would be played by different, older actors, right?

ono

You realize the published order is: LionWitchWardrobe, Caspian, DawnTreader, SilverChair, HorseBoy, MagNeph, LastBattle, right?  The way they are printed nowadays is chronological, which is silly for history's sake, but makes sense in one weird way.  Point is, DawnTreader is third, so how'd you know about HorseBoy and MagNeph?  Splitting hairs, so it's kinda beside the point, but still important to note.

My point is, they should lump Caspian and Dawn Treader together to take advantage of the ages of Edmund and Lucy.  And really, SilverChair should be ready to go soon after so Eustace won't get too much older, although that's not too much of a worry.

MagNeph & LastBattle spoils?  It's been too long since I've read MagNeph, but it seems to me as if there's glimmers of characters from the other books in MagNeph, and I know for sure they're in Last Battle, which is why these filmmakers should be thinking ahead more than they are.  At this rate, it'll be Caspian (2006), DawnTreader (2007), SilverChair (2008), HorseBoy (2009), MagNeph (2010) and LastBattle (2011).  If they're smart, they'll shoot footage for LastBattle during Caspian's production.  Kids that age age so quickly in four years.  Harry Potter is prime example.

tpfkabi

yeah, i knew they weren't written in the order they are in, but i'm reading them in the numerical order.

Pubrick

woah, i thought i was in the World of Warcraft thread for a second..
under the paving stones.

Pas

The last hour was pretty good, I hated the witch (in a good way) and the Aslam sacrifice was cool. The battle scene was great I tought. Lucy is awesome, totally awesome. But :

-I HATE HATE HATE it when characters try to resist the story for too long. The first half-hour, even 40 minutes was just making me mad as hell. Why the hell don't they go in the wardrobe straight up when Lucy tells them about it, OR THE SECOND TIME. We know you're gonna go. Jesus.

Pubrick

Quote from: Pas Rap on December 15, 2005, 07:45:30 AM
-I HATE HATE HATE it when characters try to resist the story for too long.
see: amelie.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Quote from: hacksparrow on December 08, 2005, 11:27:40 AM
Quote from: ®edlum on December 08, 2005, 10:08:05 AMAnd if I ever hear anyone ponsing around talking about this film being a christian allegory I'll punch them in the face.

XIXAXER ARRESTED FOR ASSAULTING DEAD AUTHOR'S CORPSE

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,17458198%255E16947,00.html

Narnia a Christian chronicle

Well, I mean, yeah... I kinda figured EVERYONE knew that... it was never up for debate. CS is like THE Christian allegorist of the post-war. I hope Redlum was being sarcastic...

:saywhat:
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Redlum

The fact that the allegory is such a 'given' is partly the reason why I'd like to punch the people who try to pass this off as an original interpretation. The other reason is that intellectuals cant seem to get past this fact and moan about it, despite it being perfectly possible to enjoy the stories without overeacting and claiming to be being 'brainwashed' like they do.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas