Triplets of Belleville - How Fucking Cool Does This Look?!!

Started by SoNowThen, November 16, 2003, 08:08:10 PM

kotte

Quote from: snaporazyou got upset. i am so sorry i saw a trailer that didn't tell me what the movie was about.

He did...and I'm with him.

Why judge a movie you haven't seen? Why post an opinion based on a trailer?

snaporaz

and what was my opinion? i said the animation's ugly...i think anyone is entitled to that opinion from having seen the trailer. and i also said i had no real desire to see it, which is really from not knowing anything about the movie. please note that "having no desire to see it" is different from "not wanting to see it". and did i say the movie looks bad? no. so lay off.

kotte

When you wrote "i think the animation's fucking ugly" I got the feeling you passed a judgment on it the movie before seeing it. But now I know you want to see it though you don't have the desire.

GoneSavage

Looking very forward to this.  My brother and I saw the trailer to it before Bubba Ho-Tep and were just speechless.  I hope there is a soundtrack released as well.

MacGuffin

Quote from: GoneSavageI hope there is a soundtrack released as well.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

GoneSavage

MacGuffin

French animator Sylvain Chomet, who was in Toulouse, France, promoting the DVD release of "The Triplets of Belleville," got word that the film had been nominated for best animated feature. "I'm very, very happy and touched that my film has been nominated for two reasons," she said. "I am absolutely delighted that Benoit Charest's song has been nominated, and I hope he wins because he really deserves it. I'm actually happier for him than I am for myself, if you can believe that. And I'm very touched and honored to be nominated along with 'Finding Nemo.' I have been a fan of Pixar's John Lasseter ('Nemo' executive producer). Our techniques are different, but we work in the same spirit; we're both happy when people walk out of a film happy. There is no confrontation or war between 3-D and studio animation, and I'd be very happy if 'Nemo' won."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

I liked the animation.  The characters are so twistedly drawn.  Not having seen any Tati films, I can't make any comparisons, but I'm guessing the director was highly inspired by him, since there is a poster for Mr. Hulot's Holiday in the triplets' apartment and the film is mostly wordless.  Was that a clip from one of his movies on the TV?  The humor is esoteric, to say the least.'

Did anyone else see "Destino" before the movie?  It was from Disney, while Triplets of Belleville was from Sony, so I don't think there is any official tie-in.

SoNowThen

I finally saw it!

SoNowThen looooooooooooooooooooooved it. Before I saw the Tati poster, I thought "this reminds me of that Tati movie I saw a few months back". I'll have to check out more of that, as I didn't go for it at the time.

Anyway, what a great great little gem of a movie. The fat-gut dog was the best part. And the audience all seemed really responsive to it, laughing out loud quite a bit.

Oh, also, I hoped you all stayed 'til the end of the credits!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SoNowThen

Mac (or Mod) -- you heard when this bad boy comes to R1 dvd?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SoNowThenMac (or Mod) -- you heard when this bad boy comes to R1 dvd?

Nothing yet. Maybe after the Oscars there will be an announcement.

Skeleton FilmWorks

I know you asked specifically about the Region 1  release, but the French Special Edition is killer.
context, context, context.

Chest Rockwell

Where would one be able to find the french special edition?

context, context, context.

Chest Rockwell

Holy shit. It's playing at the nearest AMC Theatre. I'm so there tomorrow.