Leaving

Started by kotte, November 09, 2003, 06:42:34 PM

modage

the only movie i ever almost walked out of (but didnt) was mission impossible 2, which i found so beyond horrible i couldnt believe my eyes.  by the end of the movie i said if he takes off his mask and its tom cruise AGAIN! for like the third time in the movie, we should leave.  and he did, but my friend wouldnt go.  also, speed 2: cruise control my friend wanted to leave but i stayed in case there was anything in the final shots.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

The closest I've come was Rock Star. I had a burning desire to run away, but I knew it would be wrong.

At least a few of the times I saw Magnolia, people left at the exact moment Jim Kurring wiped the frogs off Donnie's car.

Gamblour.

Quote from: SHAFTRI almost walked out of Ali.

What a long horrible mess.

Quote from: themodernage02
the only movie i ever almost walked out of (but didnt) was mission impossible 2, which i found so beyond horrible i couldnt believe my eyes.

I couldn't agree more, I hated those movies so much. I didn't walk out on MI:2 though, my friends and I wanted some more laughs. MI:2 ruined MI, which I thought was so good.
WWPTAD?

Ravi

Quote from: SHAFTRI almost walked out of Ali.

What a long horrible mess.

Ali was awful, but I was with a friend, and we laughed at the guys playing Don King and George Foreman who looked nothing like them.

I don't walk out of movies.  I like to watch the whole thing, even if it sucks.  I never know if something over halfway through the movie will make the rest of it more interesting.

ono

For as long as I live, I will never understand why someone would get up and walk out of a movie they paid to see.  Even if a movie is free, and I'm not digging it, I'll stick around until the end.  It's the nature of the medium: you have to get the whole thing to be able to render a verdict.  It just boggles the mind, sometimes, how people could see it another way.  People just make me giggle sometimes.  I mean, if a movie is bad, that's understandable, but if it makes you uncomfortable, challenges you, that's a whole other story.  Like the frogs thing: why oh why after spending 2.5+ hours in a film would you leave at the "end?"  Why wouldn't you stick it out for another 20-ish minutes?  People are weird.

cine

To walk out of Magnolia at that scene is deplorable move. But to walk out of a deplorable movie is understandable.

SoNowThen

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI have no problem with walking out. I walked out of A Walk To Remember. I had read the book and enjoyed the pure innocence of it and looked forward to the movie because Mandy Moore is charming to me. The film updated its story from the 1950s to now and added so much graphic content all in the name of teen movie cliche. It just pissed me off. Oh, and don't ask me what the fuck I was doing reading that book in the first place.

GT, what were you doing reading A Walk To Remember?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Weak2ndAct

I too, have never walked out of movie, for the same reasons MacG have listed.  If I payed for shit, goddamnit, I'm gonna sit in it and get my money's worth.

And young filmmakers should never walk out of movies, no matter how bad they may seem.  You can learn just as much from watching a failure (if not more) than from watching a masterpiece.  You can avoid missteps and turn someone's fuck-up into your stroke of genius.

Ghostboy

I've only walked out of one movie that I've paid for, a British import called Human Traffic. I was in a bad movie, the movie felt tired and limp. I turned my pager on (shows how long ago this was) to see how much time it had left, noticed that someone had paged me, and decided I'd rather call them back than sit through the rest of the movie.

But I've walked out of a lot that I haven't paid for. They were all utterly unredeemable, though. Like Dumb & Dumberer.

TheVoiceOfNick

I've never walked out of a movie, but my supposed "movie-buff" friend walked out of Kill Bill... he was with his girlfriend, and he said she was about to throw up... please...

kotte

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickand he said she was about to throw up... please...

Then it's ok to walk out...but who am I to decide what's ok and what's not :)

Vile5

I'd NEVER left a movie!!! No way! even in the worst movie i've watched in my life, even in the most unpleasant movie, i think is a lack of respect, i don't know but i never did it and maybe i never will
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

RegularKarate

I walked out of "The Phantom", but I was with my family... thing is, while it was a matinee... they're not rich... they paid for 4 people to go see it and hated it that much.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: kotte
Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickand he said she was about to throw up... please...

Then it's ok to walk out...but who am I to decide what's ok and what's not :)

No... he should have let her barf right then and there!  He wimped out...   :P

Kal

Hmm I dont think I ever did it... when a movie is really bad I just stay and hope there is something that I would like...

With Dreamcatcher it was so damn boring and stupid I was hoping by the end I would get surprised or something good had to happen... it didnt... I wasted a lot of time and money on that film...

I remember when I went to see Crossroads with my ex-girlfriend... oh my god... first scene was Britney Spears in her underwear and I though well thats not so bad... but then I wanted to kill myself