Troy

Started by Sigur Rós, October 31, 2003, 01:12:17 PM

Just Withnail

So, which one of you two do I trust?

El Duderino

i just got back from it and i walked out feeling confident that i had seen a good movie. the only real thing that bothered me, besides the guy next to me getting kicks out of making fart noises with his chair, was the score. it didnt really fit the scenes they were made for. also, at some parts, this movie was very Gladiator-esque (i.e. SPOILERS, when both Hector and Achilles address their armies before battle and when Paris tells Helen that they will be together, in this life or the next). i was also pretty impressed with Eric Bana's performance. Brad Pitt was good. Peter O'Toole stole every scene he was in. all in all, i really enjoyed this movie. i give it 4/5.

SPOILERS
also, the fight scene between Hector and Achilles was AWESOME!

another scene i really liked was when Achilles killed all those men on the steps of the church.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

coffeebeetle

I just saw this film too and I also walked out feeling confident that this was a great movie.  As much as I respect your opinion, I don't agree with your statement about the score.  I thought it was riveting (ESPECIALLY the "naked" percussion during the Achilles/Hector battle).  I also thought the cinematography was fantastic.  I could have watched this film on mute...

My only beef with the film was that this war seemed to span a week and not the ten or so years it purportedly took to resolve.  I also thought the Achilles character was so fucking great and I was irked that that pussy Prince Paris killed him so easily.  But I give it a 4/5 and a definite Oscar contender.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

El Duderino

Quote from: coffeebeetleI thought it was riveting (ESPECIALLY the "naked" percussion during the Achilles/Hector battle).

yes, i agree with you on that, that was fantastic. also the irish-like chanting that, again, sounded like Gladiator was good though.

Quote from: coffeebeetleI also thought the Achilles character was so fucking great and I was irked that that pussy Prince Paris killed him so easily

YES! that really pissed me off.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

edison

Quote from: El Duderino
Quote from: coffeebeetleI also thought the Achilles character was so fucking great and I was irked that that pussy Prince Paris killed him so easily

YES! that really pissed me off.

Well, that is how the story goes, that was his only weakness, his mother dipped him in the magical river Styx to make him immortal, but the dummy forgot to also dip the part on his body she was holding and that happened to be his heel.

coffeebeetle

I know, I know.  But still... :evil:
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

brockly

Quote from: Pas RapportMuch more entertaining than any LOTR.

I don't think so. A far better story, no doubt, but they fucked it, in my opinion. Ive been looking forward to this for over a year and I really wanted to like it, but I have to agree with GT on this one. A pretty average movie.

The fight between Hector and Achilles was great and was probably the most entertaining scene of the film. There were some other really great scenes (Achilles' death, Priam's speech about why his son deserves an honourable funeral, the Greek army emerging from the horse; to name a few), and I do think its a film worth seeing, but it could have been so much more. Very dissapointing, I thought.

Quote from: EEz28Well, that is how the story goes, that was his only weakness, his mother dipped him in the magical river Styx to make him immortal, but the dummy forgot to also dip the part on his body she was holding and that happened to be his heel.

Its shit like that that makes Greek mythology so fucking great. This movie had none of that. Sure, they were going for realism, but still.... :(

Pas

Haha everyone say shit abour Paris, I wonder if you'd go out to fight that big fat redhead. I prefer this character to Achilles.

People and heroes  :?

Thrindle

This is what my friend heard in the audience:

"He just got hit in the ankle what's the big deal?!"
Classic.

Pozer

can a brotha get a spoila?

modage

Quote from: Brock LandersA pretty average movie.
yep, that about sums it up.  not terrible, but not very good.  a movie full of great actors doing not-so-great work, and i tried to figure out whether the script was bad or what?  and i dont think the script was too bad, and since all these actors normally to good work i'm going to have to blame the director here.  he didnt really seem to have a tight reign on this film.  it seemed to get away from him.  i know a lot of people dont like Gladiator or Last Samurai (i do), but those films are infinitely more confident in their execution.  this film was pretty sloppy storytelling and missed the mark for me.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

spoilers

my thoughts:

>bana is the phucking man in this film.....>pitt looked oriental in this film
>sean bean is cool
>the dialogue is phucking cheesy as sh*t
> the film kind of dragged
>good fights scenes
>i didn t like michelle branch look-a-like as pitts love interest was annoying
>i agree w/ GT, orlando is getting annoying..he has ghey facial expressions like cuba gooding jr., ...and thats bad..
> pitt scharacter was annoying atr times and majority if not all through the movie i was puling for the Trojans...[especially for bana]..but that is pretty cool how the film works on some many levels -everyone roots for whoever
>i was getting tired of pitts 'jumping blade stab manuever' that he used on the big guy in the beginning and then used on bana twice..i guess its the greek way of doing the 'crane kick' from the karate kid films...
>tool was cool
>this film is good but not great ***/*****
>if this is a best pic oscar contender than its going to be a sh*tty line up of  films.....
>free info to all the ladies out there YOU GET TO SEE BRAD PITTS BUTTOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yabbse-shocked:

they've been accesible since Twelve Monkeys, Neon. Duh.   :|
context, context, context.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: cronopiothey've been accesible since Twelve Monkeys, Neon. Duh.   :|

but not under wolfgangs direction.... :kiss:

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
Quote from: cronopiothey've been accesible since Twelve Monkeys, Neon. Duh.   :|

but not under wolfgangs direction.... :kiss:

oh, Gerrrrrrrrrrrman,  I read ye... :wink:
context, context, context.