Dawn of the Dead (remake)

Started by mutinyco, October 17, 2003, 10:05:01 AM

GoneSavage

Quotelast post
That was unfuckinnecessary.

Quoteanalogzombie
You are incredibly right on man, nicely done.  

I will be boycotting this due to them shitting on a legendary movie.  And please no one give me that shit about "supporting the genre", I'm sick of it.  

There are plenty of creative screenwriters in all genres, horror especially, yet studios turn to the remakes.  For shame.

Ghostboy

WITHOUT HAVING SEEN THE ORIGINAL...

I thought this was pretty good. Pretty fun, especially with a big crowd. Not as fresh as 28 Days Later, but there was some decent suspense and a few scares and a few moments that actually approximated depth and character development. The gore was pretty good without ever just getting ridiculously over-the-top, and there was lots of good zombie action.

So what this means is that, thankfully, Sarah Polley is still the smart young actress we know and love, evidenced by her not picking a total pile of shit to induct herself into mainstream cinemas. Plus, I heard that in one of the takes of some scene, she improvised a reference to santorum, but it unfortunately wasn't in the film.

modage

i'm either seeing this or taking lives i've decided (although i could probably wait till video for both) i will see one for fun.  i'm leaning towards taking lives just in principle to support an 'original' film and not a pointless remake.  although i would definitely netflix this when it comes out this halloween.  anyone want to sway me in one direction or the other?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

I'd say: pay for one, see both. They're both under two hours (haven't caught Taking Lives yet, though, but I'll probably pay to see it).

modage

yeah but i'm seeing Eternal Sunshine too and probably wont be coordinating a 3 movie sneak in (dont think i have the time).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

El Duderino

i'm seeing eternal sunshine, taking lives, and secret window.....a very moviefull day this friday
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

analogzombie

I saw it on a preview screening the other night.

My main problem with this film si that the 'zombies' are like  human leopeards. They are portrayed as extremely agile predatory hunters. Wouldn't that call for more intelligence than the dead could muster? 28 Days Later worked, so they did the exact sort of zombie thing.

To me, by changing the fundamentals of the zombies they have not stayed true to the original and have so changed the story that it cannot be considered a remake.

On its own its a fun horror/action film, but besides having many plot holes and story snafus, the portrayl of the 'zombies' is absolutely unbelievable to me. Forget that the concept of zombies is unbelievable, but if the dead did come back to life to eat the living I can't imagine they would be a sort of human Jurassic Park Raptor. The zombies exhibit too much agility, too much intelligence and are too 'alive' to be believable. it's good for what it is.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Ghostboy

I like the notion that they're very fast at first, but slow down once rigor mortis sets in. Although they didn't stick to it, since all the zombies are still running like crazy at the end, it's still a cool concept.

I liked the musical choices for the opening and closing credits (Johnny cash and the Jim Carroll Band) -- it didn't exactly work, but it was cool to hear something more unpredictable.

Banky

Quote from: themodernage02anyone want to sway me in one direction or the other?

jolie is naked in Taking Lives

analogzombie

Quote from: GhostboyI like the notion that they're very fast at first, but slow down once rigor mortis sets in. Although they didn't stick to it, since all the zombies are still running like crazy at the end, it's still a cool concept.

I liked the musical choices for the opening and closing credits (Johnny cash and the Jim Carroll Band) -- it didn't exactly work, but it was cool to hear something more unpredictable.

I agree, if they had stuck to that concept I think it would have added something to the genre. Instead the film comes off more as a decendent of 28 Days Later than Dawn of the Dead.

And in my book the Romero zombie IS a zombie. I like the conept that if something dead came back to live it would move too well b/c of decay and the idea that its nervous system was shoddy. Newly dead moving quicker is a very cool conept that Gunn gave up on, I expect, to have more action in the film.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Quote from: Stefenoh shit, this movie might actually be good.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/DawnoftheDead-1130898/
shit, Entertainment Weekly gave Dawn of the Dead an A and Taking Lives a C!  i think i'm going to go with neither, instead.  haha.

hoichi_the_earless

I saw it this afternoon...it was...well...allright at best.  To me, it doesn't top the original, and, seemed like another survival horror movie.  Though I did manage to laugh at a few points.  Deadish is now one of my new favorite words!  And I liked the lounge act version of "The Sickness".  I want to know why the hell that one chick needed to go after that dog so badly though...
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make...

SHAFTR

I really liked this film.  After seeing it, I was asked the ol' "was it better than 28 Days Later" to which I would say, "Yes".  28 Days Later had a great first 2 acts and just a horrible third act.  This movie was good all the way through and it was just more fun, which I think zombie movies work best at.  I was a huge fan of this and be sure you stay through the closing credits.

I didn't even want to go, but I'm glad I did.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

El Duderino

i thought this movie was very entertaining, but not scary, cept for the beginning with the little girl. but it doesnt match up to "28 days later" scary wise, but i thought it was good overall....sarah polley is hot
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?