XIXAX Film Forum

What are we reading?

edison · 1653 · 194416

putneyswipe

• The Vision Quest
Reply #1650 on: February 09, 2021, 05:08:10 PM
It starts out with some cultural history, then goes into the political history, who owned what, power struggles, etc. The last section details the story of Fontana's founding and development, which plays out like a dark noir. I think it is the strongest part of the book.

I should also note that forum subject of interest Joel Wachs is a character in this - PTA has def read this at some point

wilder

Reply #1651 on: February 12, 2021, 11:00:27 AM

Debauched, divorced and courting death, Billy Ray Schafer is a comedian who has forgotten how to laugh. Over the course of seven spun-out days across the American Southwest, he travels from from hell gig to hell gig in search of a reason to keep living in this bleak and violent glimpse into the psyche of a thoroughly ruined man. Ex-inmate, ex-husband, ex-father - comedian is the only title Schafer has left. Trapped in the wreckage of his wasted career, Billy Ray knows the answer to the question: what happens when the opportunity doesn’t come - or worse - it comes and goes?

Read this compulsively a few months ago. Big fan of the writing style (first pages are available to preview), which the author said was largely inspired by The Dig by Cynan Jones. Think Reelist would love it.

It’s cheaper on Amazon but if you buy direct (click the cover) the author makes 3x the price or something like that.

Stanhope blurbed it

Quote from: Doug Stanhope
“Brilliant writing. Astounding. One of the best books I’ve read. Ever. The best fictional representation of comedy in any medium.”

putneyswipe

• The Vision Quest
Reply #1652 on: February 14, 2021, 02:34:04 PM
Just quickly devoured these two excellent books by the art critic Dave Hickey... his insights and ease of perception are pretty astounding. Highly recommend these for the BEE fans, and WF if you liked Hito Stereyl's book you'll dig this