Logical next step after FvJ

Started by Banky, August 25, 2003, 08:03:11 PM

MacGuffin

Freddy vs. Jason Sequel & Evil Dead Rumor Control
Source: Moviehole

Moviehole chatted with "Evil Dead" guru Josh Becker, who wrote "The Book of the Dead" as well as worked on the three films, about the latest Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash and Evil Dead 4 rumors:

There's been a lot of rumours lately that New Line are working on using 'Ash' (Bruce Campbell's character from the "Evil Dead" series) for the next "Freddy vs. Jason" sequel – as well as recent news that Sam Raimi is interested in doing another "Evil Dead" film.

"There is no truth in the rumour", confesses Becker. "It's my belief that there will never be an Evil Dead 4. Bruce won't do it without Sam directing, and Sam has no reason to go backward and make another Evil Dead movie until his career falters, which it certainly isn't doing."

So is Becker happy about this resurgence in horror of late?. "Yes and no. Yes because I think horror films are a terrific place for young directors to start; no because most of them aren't scary and are worthless to the genre. I don't think anyone's made a legitimately scary horror film since Aliens in 1986."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Banky

Chucky's Seed planted Mar. 16, 2004

Source: Variety  by: Mike Sampson

Filming on SEED OF CHUCKY began yesterday in Romania and two new cast members have been announced this morning. Rapper/actor Redman and director John Waters have joined the CHUCKY cast. One will play a director and oddly enough it won't be Waters. Redman will play a rapper turned director in the film with Waters playing the role of a "sleazy paparazzo." Brad Dourif and Jennifer Tilly will reprise their roles as Chucky and Tiffany with LORD OF THE RINGS alum Billy Boyd voicing their offspring, Glen. The project was though to be as dead as dead could be just a year ago but Focus Features came through to finance the film for writer/director/creator Don Mancini. The film will obviously follow Chucky and Tiffany as they try to raise Glen as an effective killer, just like mom and pop. Focus is planning on having the film ready for Halloween later this year.

modage

Quote from: BankyThe project was though to be as dead as dead could be just a year ago but Focus Features came through to finance the film for writer/director/creator Don Mancini. Focus is planning on having the film ready for Halloween later this year.
Focus Features is a motion picture company devoted to bringing moviegoers the most original stories from the world's most innovative filmmakers.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Banky

mod what do you think of this movie?

modage

what Seed of chucky?  i've never been a fan of the Chucky series, although the Bride of Chucky i seem to remember coming out when i worked at the movie theatre in high school and being sort of ridiculous and watchable.  not really excited about this, as they're hardly horror movies anymore.  who said there hasnt been a great horror movie since Aliens in 86?  thats almost true.  i'd be way WAY WAY more excited about an Evil Dead 4 or a FvJvA.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

CATCHING UP WITH YU
Source: Creature Corner

It's peculiar how Ronny Yu's made a name for himself here in the States. He landed on the scene with Bride of Chucky and resurrected more than just the titular doll, he rescued Universal's drowning franchise with the help of Don Mancini's bizarro script. Yu's follow-up, Formula 51, fizzled despite toplining Sam Jackson and Robert Carlyle (Ravenous). Yet success quickly found Yu again, however, when he held hands with two other horror icons, Freddy and Jason, and stormed the box office for eighty plus million in domestic ticket sales. So what's to be learned? Possibly that Yu should stick to horror...perhaps. Is that what he plans to do from here on out? Creature Corner correspondent, Axl, hooked the director with her wicked charm at the Brussels International Festival of Fantastic Film and grilled him with a few questions.

With a new Chucky installment in production, we were curious to know if Yu had ever been offered Seed of Chucky. "Yes, but I turned it down," Yu told the Corner. "It was immediately after Bride, they said would you like to do a sequel, I said no. I didn't think the script was good enough at the time." A script is exactly what he's currently waiting on for the Freddy vs. Jason sequel that may, and that's a big "may," introduce Bruce Campbell's Ash (of the Evil Dead series) to the melee. "That's something that the studio came up with, they asked me and all the fans wanted me to do it as well, so I said yes, show me the script! I would definitely do it. They're still working on the script, I haven't seen anything. I hope they won't work on it for 10 years."

His enthusiasm for a sequel is evident, but Yu brings up an obvious point: How long New Line will toil in the scripting process is unknown factor at the moment. So what'll Yu do in the meantime? He says he's got a number of projects simmering in the cauldron, namely a unique thriller (another New Line project) we've reported about here on the Corner. "It's called 'Snakes on a Plane.' The second they told me the storyline I said I want to do this movie. It's about a plane on the way from Honolulu to Los Angeles, and when they're halfway [into their flight], 500 poisonous snakes get released, and the first one to get killed is the pilot. As the audience I say, how the hell can they get out of the situation? I'd like to see it! So I said I want to do that. Hopefully we'll start shooting soon." In the wake of Freddy and Jason's box office slaughter last summer, Yu also committed himself to a live-action adaptation of Hiroyuki Kitakubo's anime Blood: The Last Vampire. He tells us that project is still lurking in his future. "Then there's a Chinese movie about a serial killer. I’ve never seen a Chinese movie about a serial killer! It's set in the early thirties, a traditional Chinese setting, big houses, conspiracies..."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

Quote from: MacGuffin"It's called 'Snakes on a Plane.' The second they told me the storyline I said I want to do this movie. It's about a plane on the way from Honolulu to Los Angeles, and when they're halfway [into their flight], 500 poisonous snakes get released, and the first one to get killed is the pilot. As the audience I say, how the hell can they get out of the situation? I'd like to see it! So I said I want to do that. Hopefully we'll start shooting soon."

didn't they do that on SNL?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin"It's called 'Snakes on a Plane.' The second they told me the storyline I said I want to do this movie. It's about a plane on the way from Honolulu to Los Angeles, and when they're halfway [into their flight], 500 poisonous snakes get released, and the first one to get killed is the pilot. As the audience I say, how the hell can they get out of the situation? I'd like to see it! So I said I want to do that. Hopefully we'll start shooting soon."
hahahahahahahaha, that sounds like THE WORST MOVIE EVER!!!! haha, instant camp classic.  hahaha, fucking SNAKES on a PLANE?!?!! haahaha.

MacGuffin

The Vine: Freddy, Jason aren't dead yet
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Even before 20th Century Fox's "Alien vs. Predator" captured the top spot at the boxoffice over the weekend, New Line Cinema began plotting a new face-off for its horror favorites, Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhees, who had their own moment at the top of the boxoffice in August 2003 with "Freddy vs. Jason." Sources said the studio is in negotiations with director-producer Sam Raimi for a project titled "Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash." In the proposed sequel, Freddy (the "A Nightmare on Elm Street" films) and Jason (the "Friday the 13th" pics) would go up against Ash, the cynical anti-hero survivor of Raimi's "Evil Dead" trilogy, which also includes "Army of Darkness." Bruce Campbell played the character in the trilogy and would play him again if the deal were to close. Although Raimi would not direct, he holds rights to the "Evil Dead" franchise. "Freddy vs. Jason" grossed more than $74 million, so even if a deal with Raimi can't be reached, New Line is determined to find a way to extend the franchise by introducing a new character or just pitting Freddy and Jason against each other one more time.

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

is it too late with proposed titles?

they should make robocop vs terminator. two not so kind but not so evil gents fighting it out. locations and stuff is another matter...

modage

WRITER TALKS FREDDY VS. JASON 2
Source: Creature Corner 10.05.2004  

If you're a genre fan, New Line Cinema would be a great place to work. Not only is the company one of the busiest genre producers around - and responsible for the creation of horror icon Freddy Krueger and the resurrection of Jason Voorhees and the Friday the 13th franchise - but there's also a real entrepreneurial spirit at the company which means that if you're former production head Michael De Luca you get the chance to write the tepid 1995 John Carpenter film In the Mouth of Madness(the opening scenes were interesting but it was all downhill from there)and if you're current big honcho Toby Emmerich you get to write the superb 2000 time-travel thriller Frequency. Heck, if you're a janitor at New Line, you could probably write 976-Evil 3. If you work at New Line, and you have an idea, someone will listen to you.

Jeff Katz is an executive at New Line Cinema, and a big genre fan, and, as many fans now know, he wrote a 20 page treatment for Freddy Vs. Jason 2, which has been read by everyone except me(someone send me a copy). The project is notable because it teams Freddy and Jason with Ash, the darkly comic hero from the Evil Dead films. The Corner had a chance to briefly chat with Katz and ask him about the status of Freddy Vs. Jason 2.

Q: Can you confirm Freddy Vs. Jason Vs. Ash or Freddy Vs. Jason 2 as it's currently titled?

Katz: There's nothing official on the Freddy Vs. Jason 2 front yet, but I wrote the treatment and we're all very excited about it.

Q: Are you worried that Ash - given the fact that none of the Evil Dead films were box office hits - might be too obscure of a character for mainstream audiences - fans who aren't as familiar with the Evil Dead films as the cult audience is?

Katz: It's not about box office and what would make for the most commercial sequel. It's about delivering a story that will be better than the first and a story that makes sense given the continuity of the franchises.

Q: Everyone talks about teaming Freddy and Jason with Michael Myers from the Halloween series. What about Freddy Vs. Jason Vs. Michael Myers?

Katz: As a fan, I think Michael would be an ill-fit with Freddy and Jason as - in Michael Myers' universe in the Halloween films - Michael is a real guy, Thorn notwithstanding.

Q: A lot of fans of the Jason Voorhees character felt that Jason was underutilized in Freddy Vs. Jason, and that he was nothing more than a second banana in the film. How are you going to make Jason more interesting in the sequel, given that he's a sullen, voiceless monster with no emotions?

Katz: We heard that from fans too and I think part of that's because Freddy has so much personality, especially compared to Jason, and any other character would be overshadowed standing next to Freddy. My entire idea is to help turn Jason into a bit more of a three-dimensional character without losing what makes him a scary badass. We have a cool twist I'm hoping will happen.

Q: It would've easy for you, given the success of Freddy Vs. Jason, to rush a sequel into development, but you're clearly taking your time. You must really care?

Katz: Absolutely. We're not rushing. Nobody around here wants to make Halloween: Resurrection.

Thorn? He must be a horror fan.

modage

Friday the 13th Prequel Coming Oct. 13
Source: Variety January 30, 2006

In a Variety article talking about 20th Century Fox's release strategy for The Omen remake -- it hits theaters on a Tuesday, 6.6.06 -- the trade mentions that New Line is playing the date game as well.

The studio is hoping to release its 10th film in the sturdy "Friday the 13th"" franchise on Friday, October 13. The studio has launched development of a script about Jason Voorhees' origins.

Stay tuned for more on this project as news comes in.

polkablues

Quote from: modage on January 29, 2006, 11:37:29 PM

The studio has launched development of a script about Jason Voorhees' origins.

I don't understand.  So it'll be the story of a kid who's gearing up to go to summer camp?  Or like "Meatballs", but with one of the kids dying at the end?
My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate

Quote from: modage on January 29, 2006, 11:37:29 PM
Source: Variety January 30, 2006

In a Variety article talking about 20th Century Fox's release strategy for The Omen remake -- it hits theaters on a Tuesday, 6.6.06 -- the trade mentions that New Line is playing the date game as well.

The studio is hoping to release its 10th film in the sturdy "Friday the 13th"" franchise on Friday, October 13. The studio has launched development of a script about Jason Voorhees' origins.

Stay tuned for more on this project as news comes in.

This is from Variety?
If you include FvsJ, this will be the 12th movie in the series.  Even if you don't, it's the eleventh.
How is this going to be the origins of Jason?  We already know his origin.