marvel movies

Started by underdog, January 30, 2003, 11:26:40 AM

RegularKarate

The DareDevil has been very BIG with comic fans for a long time.  There have been interests in making a movie about him for quite a while now.

Spawn got a movie before he even crossed the hundred issue mark.

Plus he was in "Trial of the Hulk".

bonanzataz

When I was younger I'd just buy comics for the hell of it, even if I didn't know the characters. Daredevil was one such comic. I had this one really cool issue of a multi-part (I never got to read the thrilling conclusion and was pissed off about it) that I always thought would make a great movie. Daredevil had to fight this villain who escaped from a mental institution and the villain would cut roman numerals into his body for every person he killed. I don't remember much after that, but it was VERY cool. It was a lot darker and a lot less "flashy cool" than the way I feel they're trying to make this movie. I feel that this sudden surge of comic book movies is stupid. Brody's line in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back pretty much says a lot. They don't even care what comic book movies they're making anymore, nor do they even care about the fans that read them. To have Ratner go and direct a series as grand as Superman is just plain ridiculous. I have no REAL beef with Ratner, he's obviously competent enough to helm a movie, but I think that Superman has to be BIG BIG BIG. I feel Ratner's not going to give it any sense of scope or grandeur that it so badly deserves.

HOORAY! Another bonanzataz post that swarms into an indecipherable myriad of complaints and opinions while the argument really goes nowhere and then ends with an apologetic note!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Small tidbit about Spiderman 2:

The Amazing Spider-Man: Zentertainment reports that Jake Gyllenhall ("Donnie Darko") will cameo as Kletus Kasady in the second film, setting himself up for a bigger role alongside 'Venom' in the third movie.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

sphinx

i thought raimi proclaimed something that was basically like FUCK VENOM and he would never be seen on film ever

Duck Sauce

Venon is the only Spiderman villian I know of really, and by far one of the coolest. Fuck Raimi.

Recce

I'd like to see s spider-man film based on the maximum carnage comic book miniseries. that was a messed up series.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

MacGuffin

Rahad Jackson to play Doc Ock?

From AICN:

In casting the Green Goblin, Sam Raimi went with a great character actor, someone that you wouldn't instantly think of. Well, right now a very solid offer is on the desk of ALFRED MOLINA to play the man in the badass goggles.

That's right Satipo is going to play Dr Octopus... For those of you that are Alfred Molina impaired, that's the "You throw me the idol, I'll throw you the whip" guy from the opening of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK... Remember the crazy coke head Rahad Jackson in BOOGIE NIGHTS? Or his fantastic Diego Rivera in Salma Hayek's FRIDA? Or his wonderful turn in CHOCOLAT? And... um, his.. um exercise is subtlety that was his Snidely K 'Whip' Whiplash in DUDLEY DO-RIGHT?

If Alfred accepts the offer then again we have a case of a Marvel film making a very very smart CHARACTER CASTING decision. He's just the right size of portly, he grits his teeth quite well and I really hope they give him the Elton John hair-cut!

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Raikus

Although Venom would be an awesome choice for main villian (and is rumored to be in the third installment) Raimi may be right in not wanting to use him. Can you imagine how bad the movie would be if the the special effects didn't match up to the Venom of the comics? I've got images of Spawn floating in my head. Or images of Bane in Batman Forever (who was a great character that was EXTREMELY underused due to them having two other main villians in the movie. Which, with the continuation of the Green Goblin/Hobgoblin storyline, throughing Venom in there just may become.).

Raimi wants to use villians that have more character development and actually have dimensions other then Eddie Brock (I hate Spider-Man) and Venom (I hate Spider-Man... and sound... and fire. Fire baaaad).

In other words, Raimi might just be trying to make a good movie.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: RaikusOr images of Bane in Batman Forever
Hes the one who broke Batmans back right?

I think Venom would be awesome to see on screen, but not in CGI. He'd have to be something really there, something that would scare the kids.

Raikus

QuoteHes the one who broke Batmans back right?

Right. In the comics he was this complex character - intelligent, strong, calculated. He succeeded in releasing all of Arkham Asylum's prisoners, forcing Batman to wear himself down by stopping them all again, figured out his secret identity, tracked him down and snapped his back in his own residence.

In the movie he was like Lars Ulrich on PCP. A friggin' henchman of Poison Ivy. Blah.

QuoteI think Venom would be awesome to see on screen, but not in CGI. He'd have to be something really there, something that would scare the kids.

Yeah, there's no denying that Venom and Carnage would be great to see on the big screen, but only if they're done right. And, of course, have a good script to tie it in too.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Duck Sauce

He would be a perfect villian for Aronofsky's Batman

RegularKarate

Quote from: Duck SauceHe would be a perfect villian for Aronofsky's Batman

Aronofsky's Batman is Batman: Year One... the story was written years ago by Frank Miller.  Long before Bane came along and snapped his spine.

MacGuffin

New Line, Marvel Pumping 'Iron' for 2005

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - "Iron Man" has become the next Marvel character to land on Hollywood's live-action production slate.

New Line Cinema, which has worked with Marvel on the successful "Blade" franchise, hopes to turn "Iron Man" into a tentpole for its 2005 slate. The studio acquired the property in 2000, but has started from scratch with scribes Alfred Gough and Miles Millar, creators of the WB's top-rated "Smallville" and writers of current hit film "Shanghai Knights" and its predecessor, "Shanghai Noon."

"Iron Man," which first appeared as a Marvel comic in 1962, is the story of Tony Stark, inventor and owner of Stark Enterprises. His work in corporate espionage and international terrorism leads to an accident that forces him to go on life support in the form of a high-tech bodysuit. This also gives him an alternate identity, Iron Man, a being capable of a heroism Tony Stark could not achieve.

Marvel also is prepping adaptations of "Fantastic Four" at Fox, "Man-Thing" and "The Punisher" at Artisan Entertainment and "Ghost Rider" at Dimension Films.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Duck Sauce

Talk about overdoing the comic book super hero genre.

BonBon85

Quote from: Duck SauceTalk about overdoing the comic book super hero genre.

Yeah, I agree. I don't really get why a lot of the directors I love (i.e. Aronofsky) are turning to these movies that will probably end up being exactly like one another regardless of how complex they try to make the character. I've never liked super hero movies or been into comics. I guess it's a guy thing.