24 hour party people

Started by Jack Sparrow, August 10, 2003, 10:13:50 AM

mogwai

JUDE'S JOY?

Former JOY DIVISION bassist PETER HOOK has revealed that HOLLWOOD star JUDE LAW is tipped to be cast as the late IAN CURTIS in a new film about the band.

Plans for a biopic focusing on Curtis were announced at this year's Cannes Film Festival in May. The singer was just 23 when he committed suicide in 1980.

Hook said: "The whisper I've heard is that Jude Law will probably play the role."

He told the Macclesfield Express: "It's not a bad choice. The film is being made by Hollywood, but what's important is that they get the story right."

The film will be based on Curtis' widow Deborah's book 'Touching From A Distance'.

Producer Tood Eckert said: "We are speaking with an actor who is huge and looks rather a lot like Ian. He has just finished a couple of films in which the only thing he listened to was Joy Division and New Order."

He added: "Should this guy ultimately agree that he is going to play Ian, it would make it a much bigger film. Ian Curtis is one of the most important figures in the history of music."

mogwai

Joy Division collaborator fights cancer

Tony Wilson diagnosed with the disease

Joy Division collaborator Tony Wilson has been diagnosed with cancer.

Wilson is due to start a course of chemotherapy course at Manchester's Christie Hospital immediately.

He said: "I wasn't too upset when I was told the news. I just think you have to go with it and I see it as another step in life's adventure."

The disease was discovered during a routine visit to the doctor. Minutes into his check-up, the doctor identified that something was "seriously wrong" with his right lung.

After having the lung drained a scan revealed that his right kidney was "completely consumed" by cancer. It was removed and he is now set for two five-day treatments at the hospital, reports BBC News.

Wilson managed Joy Division, New Order and Happy Mondays. He launched Factory Records and the Hacienda nightclub in Manchester

MacGuffin

I guess this can go here  :yabbse-undecided::

New Order breaks up

British rock band New Order, which arose from the ashes of post-punk band Joy Division in the early 1980s, has broken up, according to a Web posting by the group's bass player.

"I'm relieved really hated carryin on as normal with an awful secret so lets move on shall we?" Peter Hook wrote in a blog published on Wednesday on his MySpace page.

Hook first revealed the split as an aside during an interview last weekend with Manchester radio announcer Clint Boon, when he said, "... me and Bernard (Sumner, New Order singer/guitarist) aren't working together."

Hook and Sumner have been working together since the mid-1970s, when they co-founded Joy Division, the gloomy combo best known for the mournful single "Love Will Tear Us Apart."

After singer Ian Curtis hanged himself in 1980, the pair -- along with Joy Division drummer Stephen Morris -- formed New Order, and recruited Gillian Gilbert on keyboards.

The group issued its debut album in 1981, and went on to enjoy enormous success throughout the decade with such singles as "Blue Monday" and "Bizarre Love Triangle," and albums like "Power, Corruption and Lies" and "Low-Life."

New Order was less prolific during the 1990s, as its members took on side projects. The band's most recent album, "Waiting for the Siren's Call" -- a follow-up to 2001's "Get Ready" -- debuted at No. 46 on the U.S. pop album charts in May 2005. It did better in Japan, opening at No. 3, and in Britain, at No. 5.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

and that's why i don't feel bad about seeing them live when i was too young to appreciate it, and they were too old for it to count. same for kraftwerk.
under the paving stones.

Quote from: cronopio on May 06, 2007, 02:30:57 PM
i'm currently obsessed with this video and song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjwXXCJs7PU&mode=related&search=

new order & the chemical brothers - here to stay

fuck this kind of irony.  :yabbse-angry:
i saw this movie on sunday for the fifth time and it's still brilliant. a friend calls it a cinematographic anthem. i can't believe there's people that think almost famous is the ultimate music movie.
context, context, context.

mogwai

New Order carry on without Hook

New Order's Bernard Sumner and Stephen Morris have said they will continue without bass player Peter Hook.

Hook recently announced on a radio station that the legendary Manchester band had split up, but Sumner and Morris said they were surprised.

"We would have hoped he could have approached us personally first," the duo said in a statement.

"New Order have not split up," they added. The band are known for hits including Blue Monday and Regret.

"Whatever happens musically or otherwise, New Order have not split up, they continue to exist," the statement continued.

Hook told Xfm in May that the band had broken up.

He said he and frontman Sumner had gone their separate ways and were no longer working together.

Hook was a founding member of Joy Division, who became New Order following the suicide of vocalist Ian Curtis.

The band's most recent studio album, Waiting For The Sirens' Call, was released in April 2005.

Hook added on his MySpace page: "I'm relieved, really, hated carrying on as normal with an awful secret so let's move on, shall we?"

But a New Order spokeswoman said it was "probably just Hooky messing about. Everyone knows what he's like".

:saywhat:

MacGuffin

Source: MTV

Peter Hook threatens offhandedly in a post on his MySpace page that he might take his former New Order bandmates to court, now that they've decided to continue performing as the band without him. He says Bernard Sumner and Stephen Morris shouldn't assume they "have the rights to do anything New Order-ey" because he has "still got a third."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Music legend Tony Wilson dies
FUUUUUCK!

Staff, Manchester Evening News
Friday August 10, 2007
Guardian Unlimited

The music mogul Tony Wilson has died aged 57 following a heart attack.
The former Factory Records boss had been diagnosed with kidney cancer last year, and had been undergoing treatment in hospital in Manchester.

Wilson founded the famous Hacienda nightclub and was one of five co-founders of Factory Records, which produced bands such as New Order and the Happy Mondays during a period in the eighties dubbed 'Madchester'.

Born at Hope hospital, Salford, he went to De La Salle Grammar School, Salford, and studied english at Cambridge before beginning his TV career as a trainee with ITN in 1971.

He was a reporter and presenter on Granada Reports and went on to present So It Goes - the music show that first aired punk bands.
He also worked on World In Action - Granada's flagship current affairs programme - and Flying Start which showcased new businesses, as well as After Dark, a late night discussion programme on Channel 4.

Besides presenting, he helped to organise the annual In The City festival in Manchester which attracts musicians and critics from all over the world.

And Steve Coogan played Tony in the film 24 Hour Party People, a semi-fictional account of Tony and Factory Records.

More recently he has presented XFM Manchester's The Sunday Roast show and two BBC GMR shows, Ground Rules, a one-hour sports show, and Oxford Road Station, a Saturday lunch-time show.

His family were too upset to talk last night but wanted to thank staff at the MRI and Christie who have provided "fantastic" care for him over the last few months.

Professor Robert Hawkins, his doctor at Christie hospital, said: "It's very sad. He died as a result of something unrelated to his cancer. His cancer was responding well to treatment but obviously did contribute to his poor health".
context, context, context.

MacGuffin

Strange coincidence that I was just this morning listening to Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

and i was just this week watching Control.
under the paving stones.

mogwai

this week i was contemplating to download the entire joy division catalogue. but i decided against it because i had other stuff to do.

it's my fault.

SiliasRuby

Such an amazing film and possibly Michael W's best. Makes me sigh with relief that films like these are getting made.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection