Scary Movie 3 & 4

Started by ono, July 26, 2003, 06:11:59 PM

Sleuth

Heh...but the slapstick is done really poorly
I like to hug dogs

TheVoiceOfNick

This movie doesn't look like it'll be missing too much by the absence of the wayans... it'll still be mediocre entertainment with an abundance of sex, drugs, and bathroom humor.

Nick

Fishbulb

Actually, I think the "boom mike" joke is pretty funny. Not just because of the boom mike banging into her, but because after she falls down that other guy walking by with the coffee trips over her. That's a nice double-layered joke, more typical of the Zucker bros. than the shitty Wayanses.

modage

Sequels not too 'Scary'
Source: Variety

Despite some missteps this summer, the industry is not giving up on sequels just yet.
Bolstered by the box office success of "Spy Kids 3-D," which has taken $71.3 million and looks primed to pass the receipts of "Spy Kids 2," Dimension Films has high hopes for the latest in its horror movie spoof series, "Scary Movie 3."

"We're looking at the sequel business and think it's a great business," Dimension co-chair Bob Weinstein told Daily Variety. "What you have to do is bring something new to the table."

He added, "I'm predicting that we'll surpass 'Scary Movie 2,' " which in summer 2001 took in $71.3 million.

Several factors are fueling Weinstein's optimism: a large co-promotional push with Coors Brewing, a PG-13 rating that will broaden the franchise's audience and a more mainstream sensibility from helmer David Zucker, veteran of "Airplane!" and the "Naked Gun" series.

Going for the kids

The previous two "Scary Movies" were rated R. Of the decision to go for a PG-13 for this one, Weinstein said, "We are going after the 12-49 demographic. We're going to get the 'Austin Powers' crowd."

Weinstein added Dimension's tracking data is strong, with 65% awareness of "Scary Movie 3."

"Scary Movie 3" will mark the first major effort between the studio and Coors after they inked a marketing pact last year.

"Scary" will open on Oct. 24 to take advantage of Coors' annual Halloween marketing push, including TV spots during NFL games, in-store promotions and a radio campaign. Also opening that weekend are Warner's Halle Berry thriller "Gothika," Sony's animated "Lil' Pimp" and Paramount's refugee drama "Beyond Borders," starring Angelina Jolie.

Miramax's "Duplex," the Danny DeVito-directed comedy starring Ben Stiller and Drew Barrymore, had been previously skedded to open on that date. But with the "Scary" move, "Duplex" now will unspool on Oct. 3, "Scary's" former date.

$10 mil in beer money

Coors will spend $10 million on "Scary" promos, Weinstein said. Dimension has budgeted $30 million of its own, and Weinstein said the company is close to bringing on another marketing partner, bringing the total marketing budget to $50 million.

The TV spots will be a variation on Coors' successful "Love Song" campaign, with new lyrics that play up the "Coors Twins" appearance in "Scary Movie 3." Coors is also the official beer sponsor of the NFL, guaranteeing heavy play of the spot during football games once the season gets under way.

"Scary Movie 3" will follow the format of the previous editions, parodying genre flicks such as "The Ring," "The Others" and "Signs," as well as pics such as "The Matrix Reloaded" and "8 Mile."

The first two "Scary Movie" pics, which grossed a combined $278 million, were directed by Keenen Ivory Wayans; they starred and were scripted by his brothers Shawn and Marlon. Late last year, Revolution signed a two-pic deal with the sibling team, one of which is planned as a sci-fi spoof flick.

Widening auds

In Dimension's first Wayans-less "Scary Movie," Zucker has cast actors in an attempt to broaden pic's appeal beyond the Wayans' core urban audience. Actors such as Charlie Sheen, Leslie Nielsen, Jenny McCarthy and Pamela Anderson will appear alongside hip-hop favorites Queen Latifah, Ja Rule, Method Man and Redman.

Dimension already is developing "Scary Movie 4." Despite previous reports that the next episode would go into production directly after "Scary Movie 3" wrapped in Vancouver this summer, Weinstein said a script for the fourth installment is being finalized and he hopes to start production early next year.

-----------------------------------------------------------

uh oh, does that quote scare anyone else?  "Look Quentin, the public wants Pulp 2 okay?  we're gonna do it with or without you!"
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

oakmanc234

'Scary Movie 3': the reasons why it being rated PG-13 sucks:

*Now annoying little kids can go see it and piss off everyone else in theatres...
*All the trademark 'extreme' humour of the first two will have to be much tamer...

I thought I would have more reasons than that but I'm still annoyed, I mean c'mon, a PG rated 'Scary Movie'? That's like non-alcoholic beer.....
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

MacGuffin

Opens Friday. Three sneak peek clips here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

The ads for this movie make it look really bad.  It seems like a string of parodies of specific movies.  What made the ZAZ and previous Pat Proft films funny was that they weren't always doing that, but when they did, it wasn't the stupid shit like the Ring parody in the SM3 ads.  Dollar theater material for me, if I see it at all.

Quote from: VarietyThe first two "Scary Movie" pics, which grossed a combined $278 million, were directed by Keenen Ivory Wayans; they starred and were scripted by his brothers Shawn and Marlon. Late last year, Revolution signed a two-pic deal with the sibling team, one of which is planned as a sci-fi spoof flick.

How many more spoofs do we need?

ono

Spoilers possible.

I saw this last night with my brothers.  I'm probably not the best person to ask whether you should see it or not, as, well, I hate shit like this.  Don't get me wrong: I laughed a lot.  But it was a kind of painful laugh as in ... "Why am I here?" and "This is what passes for entertainment?" and "I could be seeing Mystic River, School of Rock, or even better, Kill Bill, again!"

The jokes come fast and furious, and for that, I can say the film is better than Scary Movie 2.  However, that's not a hard thing to accomplish as Scary Movie 2 is one of the worst movies I've ever seen.  This film parodies The Matrix, The Matrix Reloaded, Signs, and 8 Mile.  Some criticisms are that it doesn't really get the gist of the film, only parodying material from trailers and such, but that's not really true.  You can feel the Zucker touch on this film with the style of jokes, and the presence of Leslie Nielsen as president.  That's one great thing about the movie, as with Nielsen and Sheen in the same film, you definitely get this amalgamation of Naked Gun and Hot Shots, though I guarantee you no one in the theatre would catch this.

Friday night, jam packed with high school students, and the only people older than me, I think, walked out about halfway through.  Also, there are very few "intelligent" jokes with the dialogue, and they brought a smile to my face, and a chuckle to myself, but to no surprise of mine, no one laughed.  They were probably still recuperating from the previous physical gag (and there were a LOT of those).

The problem with this movie is it's just so damn stupid.  I guess that equates to entertainment and likability with most audiences, but I could feel my brain cells dying.  Anna Faris did a great job playing, yet again, the requisite dumb blonde heroine, yet there's one scene with Son of the Beach's star (forget his name) that's just too juvenile.  And a gripe about that scene, and many others: this film should've striven for an R rating.  I mean, there was a hell of a lot of cleavage shown (cleavage that you know some would've wished they'd just shown the damn nipple already), and the first scene (cold opening -- yeah, that term fits because the rest of the film was an overblown sitcom) had Pamela Anderson and Jenny McCarthy frolicking.  And when Farris' character takes a bit of offense at something, she flashes the news room (I don't really remember why).  Two problems with this: 1) they aren't her tits, and 2) they're in a bra.  Ditto wih Anderson's cleavage (pre-implant-removal).  The film was of course, in part, made to tittilate the average high school male.

So yes.  I remember in another thread some were talking about how horror movies aren't made like they used to be, with all the gratuitous nudity, sex, and violence.  Obviously, the Scary Movie series no longer falls into that genre, but it would be nice if there were such a thing to serve as legitimate escapism.  The violence part is why some people probably like Kill Bill so much.  That's why the R rating should've been sought after.

I, of course, realize that a movie like this is all about the money, and that's why it's so depressing to go see a film like this.  I enjoy, more than I like to admit, films that are well made are are all about the art of filmmaking and maybe even telling a good story.  Before this film started, everyone was talking, cracking up.  When the previews came on, silly comments, of course, were made.  When the little segment asking people not to talk during the film came on, they just laughed.  Talking during the film wasn't nearly as bad as in, say, my bad experience with Chicago, but I guess that's because a lot of the material didn't depend on you actually hearing what was being said.  Though, as I said, there were a lot of jokes in the dialogue.  Anyway, film's better than I expected, but still barely worth your time.  *½ (4/10)

Ernie

Yea, I figured I'd have the same feelings as Onamonapeia had if I saw this. I wouldn't be able to sit still in a theatre that I know is still playing School Of Rock and Kill Bill. I mean, I wouldn't have a good time. I'll rent it.

Ghostboy

I couldn't even watch the whole thing, it was so awful. Regina Hall was the only thing remotely funny -- even the usually wonderful Anna Faris looked like she was sick of the whole thing. The Wayans brothers are sadly missed -- the second movie may have sucked, but at least I laughed really hard during the opening sequence and a few other times later in the film. Here, nada.

Banky

Playboy.com reports

Although Zucker's at the helm and the gore has been way toned down,
Wayans's brand of crude, razor-edged social commentary survives, with a little help from co-writer Kevin Smith. Father Muldoon (Darrell Hammond) shows up to baby-sit with a bottle of wine and some candles for his little charge. Brenda (Regina Hall) laments, "I get a bad feeling...like when you see an Asian person behind the wheel of a car."

Kevins Real Ivolvment

My involvement with SCARY MOVIE 3. Here's the story: After the Wayans brothers took what was supposed to be SCARY MOVIE 3 elsewhere, Bob Weinstein called and asked if I'd look at the Dimension draft of the latest SCARY MOVIE when they were done with it, and maybe add a joke here or there. I asked him who was writing it, and he said he hadn't assigned it yet. So I suggested a guy I knew was perfect for the gig: Poop Shoot's own Brian Lynch. Bob met with Brian, and brought him on as one of the writers, along with David Zucker and Pat Profft. For this, I was offered an Exec Producer credit. Somehow, the trades translated this as me Co-Writing. If maybe doing a polish on a script that will be far funnier than anything I can think up is considered Co-Writing, then I guess I'm a Co-Writer. However, with these three funny guys involved, chances are, I'll have nothing to add but the sound of my laughter (with, mind you; not at).

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

So...from what I gather from ths thread, the trailer, other reviews, this movies sucks.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

'Scary Movie 3' Conjures Up Nearly $50M

The "Scary Movie" franchise has risen from the grave, with part three of the horror-spoof series opening as the top weekend flick with $49.7 million, the best October debut ever.

"Scary Movie 3" bumped the previous weekend's No. 1 movie, "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre," to second place with $14.7 million, according to studio estimates Sunday.

Premiering in third place with $14 million was the feel-good drama "Radio," starring Cuba Gooding Jr. in the real-life story of a mentally disabled man befriended by a high school football coach (Ed Harris).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Find Your Magali

Jesus, $49.7 million?!?!!?  :shock:  .... So many great movies that never hit that figure. And the previews for this movie look soooooooo tired.

EDIT: Snips out the AP story that I posted two minutes after Mac.

I'm still stunned, by the way.

Banky

hahahah it made 50 and KB made 20 that sucks..

I saw it though, it had a few really good laughs but then it would go like 10 minutes without anything funny.  When it was funny it was really funny and when it wasnt it really wasnt.