The Lords Of Dogtown

Started by MacGuffin, January 24, 2003, 10:56:04 AM

budgie

This is up on davidfincher.net:

For those of you that are still a little skeptical of Fincher directing the seemingly unsuitable Lords of Dogtown, here is a rather encouraging review of Stacy Peralta’s screenplay. The review, by Jean-François Allaire (AKA DeadPool), was posted Thursday over at TNMC.org.

While “DeadPool” certainly feels that Fincher is a more than capable director, he mentions that this material may bring out a new side to Fincher’s style.

“Lords of Dogtown features a definite departure for David Fincher. His films have usually lived in a very darkish universe. Dogtown is absolutely nothing like that. The majority of the film takes place outside during the day. We'll finally be able to see the full range of Finch's ability as a director. Is he just an awesome suspense filmmaker? Can he make us care about those 70's kids? The skateboarding sequences should be a blast for him. The Z-Boys invented a bunch of tricks and were also the first ones to skateboard in empty swimming pools. I'm sure Fincher will have no problem envisioning all of that.”

After reading such an enthusiastic review, how can you not get at least relatively excited? It may not be The Black Dahlia or Rendezvous With Rama that a lot of us have been waiting for over the past few years. But the potential for this material seems greater than that of Panic Room, which, when all was said and done, managed to impress a lot of it’s skeptics.

“DeadPool” juxtaposes Dogtown to Cameron Crowe’s Almost Famous, and I can certainly think of worse movies to be held in comparison to.

I'm kinda intrigued now. I'd like to see him ditch the colour green for a one-off.

©brad

well i'm excited.

i don't think this will be such a big departure for fincher, in reference to making us 'care for those 70s kids.' I thought he did a great job with Jodie Foster and the daughter in Panic Room- definitely, uhhh, a lotta warmth there.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: cbrad4dwell i'm excited.

i don't think this will be such a big departure for fincher, in reference to making us 'care for those 70s kids.' I thought he did a great job with Jodie Foster and the daughter in Panic Room- definitely, uhhh, a lotta warmth there.

I actually care more about those 70's kids just in text than I did about Jodie Foster and daughter in Panic Room. Whats up with the casting?

Keener

I love Fincher. I love Avary. I don't dig skateboards. I'll go see it.

Wish what I had to say had more depth but neuh.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Sigur Rós

I think this film is gonna be fuckin' great.  I saw Dogtown Z-boys yesterday it was really great....I can't wait to see a movie about the Zypher-boys! It's gonna be great. Fincher+Skateboarding+70's+California Sun =  :yabbse-thumbup:

Sigur Rós

Cecil

fincher is off the project

chainsmoking insomniac

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Cecil

Ghostboy

From Avary's website:

I am, of course, bummed that Fincher is off "Dogtown". You would be too if you had seen the previz work on those pool skateboarding shots. Also, David had a genuine love of both "The Bad News Bears" and "American Graffiti" -- two films that I believe held the key to what this film was aiming to become. I'll simply miss seeing the director of "Fight Club" apply his particular angle on a movie that is so seemingly wrong and yet so obviously right at this point in his career...but David knows what's best for him. So now I'm told they're out to other directors. But you know what, you never know. In this business, anything can happen.

What he probably means in those italicized portions is that he might have a chance of directing it himself.

MacGuffin

Lords of Dogtown: "Spun" helmer Jonas Åkerlund is considering helming the skater project previously attached to David Fincher.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Spike

Now it's pretty sure. Jonas Akerlund will direct "Lords of Dogtown". Previously he made "Spun", a very cool drug film.
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

Sigur Rós

......and...now it's sure!

Banky

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedfincher is off the project

I like your frankness

Sigur Rós