ELF

Started by Banky, June 22, 2003, 06:16:24 PM

Pozer

Quote from: themodernage02dont!    you have to wait till AFTER thanksgiving, or you'll ruin it!  the christmas season, contrary to greedy businesses everywhere does not start till AFTER thanksgiving.  seeing christmas movies out of season will likely ruin the experience.

I disagree. Now is the time to start getting into the Holiday spirit. It helps it last longer, y'know.
And I'm so looking forward to Elf. "I know him, I know him."
And GB approves, so now I'm super excitied
did I just say "super" excited?

P.S. I think everyone should go to Disneyland around the Holidays. That's when it truly is the happiest place one earth.

Kal

Will is so great I cant wait to get back to USA to see this... thank god Revolutions was worldwide release, but for the rest of the movies it takes sometimes many months until they arrive to Argentina

I'll be back on tuesday, watch it, and post

modage

Quote from: The Real PoserI disagree. Now is the time to start getting into the Holiday spirit. It helps it last longer, y'know.

well i disagree again.  if you start christmas too early the feeling is artificial and cant last for a full 2 months.  you should wait.  i urge everyone to wait.  otherwise you trample right over thanksgiving.  soon we can just move it back to october and forget about halloween to, make way for christmas everyone!  the biggest shopping season of the year: buy buy buy!  let the studios know you dont want holiday movies till the holidays, and not a month before.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02i urge everyone to wait.

So, can I see "Love Actually"? Or is that not considered a 'holiday' movie?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

hmm... well i am very strict in my ways, and there seems like enough christmas going on in the trailers to make me stay away till after thanksgiving.  but for that, proceed at your own risk...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Weak2ndAct

modernage--
I could understand your argument if 'Elf' were released in the middle of the summer or something, but this pro-holiday-spirit-late-release thing doesn't make sense.  In many parts of the country, it's cold as hell and starting to snow, turkey day's creepin' awfully fast.  Why shouldn't they release it now?  Good counterprogramming to Revolutions, plus there's so much stuff coming out at the end of the year (Like New Line's Return of the King) that it could have gotten lost in the shuffle.  I saw this a couple weeks ago, and it being hot in California certainly didn't detract from my enjoyment.  In fact, it was my first jolt of XMAS fever.  I really started looking forward to seeing my family for the holidays.  I see no reason to call BS and hold out.
And besides, this is all a moot point-- the only thing that really matters is if the movie's any good or not (as I said before, it is).

modage

no, its bullshit.  a line must be drawn in the sand.  how early is too early? if it continues to creep forward like it has been there will be no end to this mess. like i said, disneys halloween mess last year was sickening.  there must be order.  i love christmas okay?  i LOVE christmas and i love the entire season.  but i love it enough to respect that christmas begins after thanksgiving dinner.  dont shaft turkey day.

also: another thing that jerks my chain.  a few years ago, the tim allen film "joe somebody" was released on or around christmas.  it had absolutely zero to do with any holiday, and i think took place in the summer.  however, when christmas approached the ads in the paper for the film featured christmas presents stacked up all around allen and co. in the ads.  AND the ads on tv featured that wacky nutcracker suite thats in every damn christmas movie.  so they were clearly trying to draw on allens recognition as 'santa clause' and trick the public into thinking this was a christmas movie, which it was NOT.  it may have been a family movie, which is fine, but purposely misleading people is fucked up.  i remember it bothering me then, and i'm reminded now because of the Cat in the Hat.  the commercials are clearly also trying to pump in those little "this holiday season..." etc. type stuff. AND when i went to the post office there are pictures of the 'cat' with a bunch of snowflakes and presents on all the posters around the post office.  AGAIN!  fucking trying to mislead people that THIS is the christmas movie they need to see.  okay, THAT IS FUCKED UP.  the cat in the hat has absolutely NOTHING to do with christmas, it takes place on a rainy day.  the grinch is a christmas story.  the cat in the hat, NOT.  that really makes me mad.

Pozer

Who cares really

Gloria

I just saw this movie and was surprised how much I liked it.  Will Farrell impressed me because he didn't overdue this role.  Caan was great as the father too.  It was good, clean fun that didn't bore the living daylights out of me. I was highly entertained.  I loved the scenes that payed homage to the old Rudolph clay cartoon. Awesome.  I think this is proof the christmas season starts as soon as November rolls around.

Ghostboy

That whale/unicorn named Norwall or whatever is totally awesome. I don't know what he was or what he was doing there, but his appearance was a stroke of genius.

Gold Trumpet

I loved this movie. Almost every scene was worth smiling over. Will Ferrel was surprisingly, for me, very funny. Zooey Deschanel was the icing on the cake. And her voice when singing............ah love. She puts every over the top beauty queen down to shame.

Finn

I loved it a lot as well. I liked all the actors and the movie has plenty of fun with the fact that a human being thinks he's an elf.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

modage

Quote from: The Real PoserWho cares really

i do. or didn't i make that clear?

Quote from: GloriaI think this is proof the christmas season starts as soon as November rolls around.

yes, according to idiots all across the globe.

i just wanted to clarify that Gloria is not an idiot.  this comment was made out of frustration, (as in mid-november i was not hit with the wave of christmas spirit i am now overcome with), and was not intended to be aimed at Gloria but rather some faceless "John Q Public".  sincerest apologies, Mod.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: GloriaI think this is proof the christmas season starts as soon as November rolls around.

LAME.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02

New Line enjoyed second place with the Will Ferrell comedy Elf, which opened to $32.1 million from 3,337 theaters for a strong average of $9,619 per location.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks