QUENTINS TOP 10 OF ALL TIME

Started by modage, June 08, 2003, 11:17:14 PM

pete

I think, in reading and processing and discussing the list, each of us, in turn has given more thought than he ever did about this list.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

socketlevel

Quote from: malkovich on January 15, 2012, 04:53:58 AM
Quotenot a horrible list, kinda safe though.

I kind of thought differently. Wouldn't 'safe' be if his list had the same movies we keep seeing over and over again in most Best Of lists? I might not agree with him, but I think it's a little ballsy (funny, too) that he had Our Idiot Brother tie with The Artist.

ha fair enough, i never thought of that perspective. i guess safe is subjective to each crowd.
the one last hit that spent you...

Stefen

lol, he even did a close but no cigar list.

QuoteThe Quentin Tarantino Archives is proud to present....

Quentin Tarantino's official Top Eleven of 2011

1. Midnight In Paris
2. Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes
3. Moneyball
4. The Skin I Live In
5. X-Men: First Class
6. Young Adult
7. Attack The Block
8. Red State
9. Warrior
10. The Artist / Our Idiot Brother (tie)
11. The Three Musketeers

Others he liked (no particular order)

50/50
Beginners
Hugo
The Iron Lady
Carnage
Green Hornet
Green Lantern
Captain America
The Descendants
My Week With Marilyn
Fast Five
Tree Of Life
The Hangover Part II
Mission Impossible 4
The Beaver
Contagion
The Sitter
War Horse

Nice Try Award

Drive
Hannah
Drive Angry
Real Steel

Best Director

Pedro Almodovar
Bennett Miller
Woody Allen
Jason Reitman
Michel Hazanavicius

Best Original Screenplay

Midnight In Paris
Young Adult
Red State
Attack The Block
Our Idiot Brother
Beginners

Best Adapted Screenplay

Moneyball
The Skin I live In
Carnage
Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes
Hugo
X-Men: First Class

That concludes this year's Tarantino awards! Fire away in the comments below, does Quentin's list match your own? Personally, I loved Midnight in Paris, I left the theater totally dazzled, what an amazing movie, I am happy he thinks the same way. Make sure you also follow us on our social media channels, and dive into the Community to exchange with other fans. We'll be back with more Django news shortly (some also posted on Facebook and the likes). Happy New Year you Basterds!

http://www.tarantino.info/2012/01/14/exclusive-quentin-tarantinos-favorite-films-of-2011-more/
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

he basically just listed every film that came out in 2011
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

md

With the Idiot Brother/Artist tie, maybe he was trying to tell the Weinsteins Company something. 

Quote from: pete on January 15, 2012, 06:01:28 AM
I think, in reading and processing and discussing the list, each of us, in turn has given more thought than he ever did about this list.

True.
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

MacGuffin

Quentin Tarantino's Top 10 Films of 2013 – SO FAR
Source: Tarantino Archives

You might remember Quentin's list of favorites of 2010 and 2011, and so many of you have mailed us and asked about last year. Mostly because of Django Unchained, of course there was none such list for 2012. So a lot of you even made your own lists and sent those, which made for some interesting reading. I think last year was a great year for movies, and 2013 so far continues this upward trend, aside from the usual fiascos (not naming names here). So it's the fall, Scandal is back on (Kerry Washington is amazing as usual), and it's time to take inventory.... drumroll...

As an exclusive gift during the government shutdown, we're happy to present you with Quentin Tarantino's official list of his top 10 films of 2013 – so far. Bear in mind that the cinematic year isn't really over yet and the list is in alphabetic order. To my own personal shame I have only seen one film on that list so far, I will reveal which one further below.

1.  Afternoon Delight (Jill Soloway)
2.  Before Midnight (Richard Linklater)
3.  Blue Jasmine (Woody Allen)
4.  The Conjuring (James Wan)
5.  Drinking Buddies (Joe Swanberg)
6.  Frances Ha (Noah Baumbach)
7.  Gravity (Alfonso Cuarón)
8.  Kick Ass 2 (Jeff Wadlow)
9.  The Lone Ranger (Gore Verbinski)
10.  This Is The End (Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg)
So what do you think? Have you seen all of them yet? Post your thoughts in the comments below. The only one I've seen so far is This is the End, and I thought it was totally hilarious, one of the funniest movies I have seen in a long time.

I assume there's a possibility of an update to this list once the year is over, maybe even ranked, as this list is in alphabetic order. I am really looking forward to Gravity, I have heard a lot of great things about it, and it might be time to revisit IMAX, which I haven't experience since I was a kid. Thanks for reading, amigos. Make sure to follow us on Facebook, Google Plus and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest scoop on Senor Q, and a bunch of other movie bits we post there constantly, for example the pending release of The Big Gundown on BluRay....
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jenkins

horror movies i go light on. it seems like the conjuring in particular i shouldn't have skipped this year. visited the xixax thread: polkablues, Kellen, and pete also enjoyed the conjuring. according to amazon i can see this in a house on October 22

Pubrick

Holy fuck he has shit taste. Numbers 8 to 10 especially.
under the paving stones.

Kellen

Frederico Fellini

Quote9.  The Lone Ranger (Gore Verbinski)

Tarantino is just trolling, guys.
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

socketlevel

Quote from: Lord Freddie on October 06, 2013, 10:00:42 AM
Quote9.  The Lone Ranger (Gore Verbinski)

Tarantino is just trolling, guys.

naw he takes lists far to seriously to be so dismissive and contentious. however i think he can be very reactionary to popular opinion, like if something is shit on and he genuinely likes it, i could see him saying he loved it.
the one last hit that spent you...

Kellen

Here is QT's quotes from a playlist article on Lone Ranger:

"The first forty-five minutes are excellent," Tarantino stated about "The Lone Ranger" before conceding, "...the next forty-five minutes are a little soporific. It was a bad idea to split the bad guys in two groups; it takes hours to explain and nobody cares. Then comes the train scene—incredible! When I saw it, I kept thinking, 'What, that's the film that everybody says is crap? Seriously?' " So far, so good, but then the helmer gets into what didn't work for him."

"That being said, I still have a little problem with the film. I like Tonto's backstory—the idea that his tribe got slaughtered because of him; that's a real comic-book thing. But the slaughter of the tribe, by gunfire, from the cavalry, it left a bitter taste in my mouth," he said, continuing: "The Indians have really been victims of a genocide. So slaughtering them again in an entertaining movie, Buster Keaton style... That ruined the fun a bit for me. I simply found it...ugly."

"Making fun of this, when America really did it, it bothered me...That doesn't stop it from being a good film but they could have done without that," he added.

When the interviewer points out that "Django Unchained" had its fair share of gruesome depictions of slavery, Tarantino offers up a slight defense. "I didn't make 'Lone Ranger'...that's two different things. I did an examination of America. I tried to juggle with different things and, frankly, I think I did it better than them," he said. "I don't know, let's just say that it was ugly. And violent. And boring. And it happens right in the middle of the film's bad part, anyway. [laughs]"

MacGuffin

Tarantino: Israeli flick 'best of 2013'
At South Korean film festival, iconic director gushes over 'Big Bad Wolves', calling it year's finest movie
Source: The Times of Israel

Quentin Tarantino is certainly not afraid of the "Big Bad Wolves." In fact, the neo-noir kingpin was so enamored with the Israeli thriller after viewing it at a South Korean film festival over the weekend that he took to the microphone and declared it the best film of 2013.

"Big Bad Wolves," from directors Aharon Keshales and Navot Papushado, is a gritty story of a vigilante cop (Lior Ashkenazi) chasing a child murderer. It's one of the darkest films to ever come out of the Israeli film industry, and it's been praised for its sophistication and subtlety.

The film, which played in official selection at the Tribeca Film Festival, was screened on Friday at the Busan International Film Festival in Busan, South Korea. Tarantino was at the fest to hold a talk with iconic South Korean director Bong Joon-ho. The talk, which was moderated by Variety's chief film critic Scott Foundas, focused on the duo's mutual admiration for each other and their work.

On Tuesday, Tarantino released his annual "10 Best" list, providing a run-down of the ten pictures the Academy-Award winning director feels lead the pack over the past twelve months. He had obviously not yet seen "Big Bad Wolves," however, because after popping unannounced into Friday's screening in Busan, he took the microphone at the post-film Q&A and peppered the directors with questions before gushing, "This is not only the best film of Busan, it is the best film of the year."

Kwenton Bellette of twitchfilm.com, a Canadian film news website, posted afterward that he was at the screening and agreed with Tarantino's gushing review.

"We love the film on Twitch and are so happy and excited to share Tarantino's praise and goodwill for the film," Bellette wrote. "I spoke briefly with Navot [Papushado] who was extremely giddy and excited."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Tarantino on Batman (if anyone cares):

"Batman is not a very interesting character. For any actor. There is simply not much to play. I think Michael Keaton did it the best, and I wish good luck to Ben Affleck. But, you know who would have made a great Batman? Alec Baldwin in the '80s."

modage

Weird for him to call Batman a boring character and in the same breath do some fan-casting. But whatever.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.