What was the movie KIDS shot on?

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, June 04, 2003, 07:54:02 PM

pookiethecat

Quote from: children with angelsOf Clark's films I've only seen Kids and for some reason I really like it too. I find it pretty addictive, and actually pretty fun. There's something weirdly appealing about the depravity and bleakness of that kind of film. I also respect how it's really easy to watch, almost too easy, like it just glides by you. You can imagine the kids it depicts really digging it - and i find that interesting. Like they might sit around half-watching it, getting stoned, in the same way they sit around half-watching that video of the skaterboarders.
I like the use of music too (the Folk Implosion stuff is superb).
It's certainly not a subtle movie, but there are a few subtle, pretty beautiful, moments like a slightly lingering shot on a little toddler throwing away a piece of fruit, or the Chloe Sevigny conversation with the taxi driver - the sunlight in that scene.

I haven't seen Kids, so I won't rush to judge all of Clark's work..but childrenwithangels' description of Kids seems to exactly reflect my feelings towards Bully..,whcih I absolutely hated.  I've seen it several times and it acheives a kind of dubious grandeur in my mind.  I classify it as one of the worst movies I've ever seen.  

I think you have a point about the gliding/ easy-to-watch aspect of the movie.  But I found that to be a product of bad directing...formless and uncinematic.  These characters were doing things and I don't think Clark had a vision as to why they were or what direction it was taking them...there was no significance to the day to day lives of these characters...it arrives at no conclusion and exists just to exist...like a document of debauchery.  That's not storytelling.  

I'm quite interested in what Clark supporters have to say though.  There has to be some appeal.  But what is that appeal based in other than simple voyeurism?
i wanna lick 'em.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: ebeaman
Quote from: pookiethecatBully mystifies me. I was shocked by how much it bored me.  That laden with sex, violence, and sleaze, yet still un-entertaining.

Really though, same with Kids. I feel this way about all of Clark's films. He's just a no-talent perve...that's all I can say for the guy.

i feal the same way i cannot stand all of his movies

i seen more zest/energy  behind the camera on a random episode of ALF than his work :sleeping:

Ernie

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
I feal the same way i cannot stand all of his movies

i seen more zest/energy  behind the camera on a random episode of ALF than his work :sleeping:

I know, right? There's no truth or honesty to any of it either. It's all so staged yet it's said to be soooooo real. Everything happens right in a row, one after the other...it's fucking stupid. The guy doesn't even care. This is how I think clark sets up each shot....

CLARK (looking over the next shot set up mumuring to himself)

Which angle? Which angle? Hmmm....

(long pause...he squints in deep thought)

CLARK

Ah, fuck it, let's just handhold this mother and try to get a shot or three of her tits, k? Yeah...that, that looks good...yeah....just throw away that tripod. She gets raped, her parents divorce, and her boyfriend comes out of the closet in the next couple scenes...I think we can handhold all those too, right? Yeah, that should be great. The only dolly I wanna see on this set is the one my lead actress is playin' with...got that?

EL__SCORCHO

I don't like Another Day in Paradise, but I do like Kids and Bully. He does seem like kind of an old perv, but what's he gonna do, stay home and do nothing? I say let the man do whatever he wants, if you don't like his films then just stay away from his future releases.

children with angels

Quote from: ebeaman

CLARK (looking over the next shot set up mumuring to himself)

Which angle? Which angle? Hmmm....

(long pause...he squints in deep thought)

CLARK

Ah, fuck it, let's just handhold this mother and try to get a shot or three of her tits, k? Yeah...that, that looks good...yeah....just throw away that tripod. She gets raped, her parents divorce, and her boyfriend comes out of the closet in the next couple scenes...I think we can handhold all those too, right? Yeah, that should be great. The only dolly I wanna see on this set is the one my lead actress is playin' with...got that?

:lol:  That was really funny, man - I don't agree but theat made me laugh!

Like I say, I can't really explain too well what I like about Kids, except for what I've already said. But what you were saying about storytelling, Pookie, might be true for Bully but it's certainly not true for Kids - there's a very strong narrative drive in that movie. So much so that it's almost cheesy at times actually.

And, Ebeaman: I know what you mean about some of it feeling fake, but a lot of the dialogue really feels very real: I totally believe in Telly and Casper in that movie. However, it does swing back and forth a little between the very real and the very fake.

Also I do stand by the fact that I find the way it's shot really quite beautiful. I think that's probably what holds the appeal for me actually, rather than character or story: it's more an aesthetic pleasure I get from watching the movie... The look, the sounds. Like I say I find it very easy to watch. I don't really think of it as voyeurism, I just think of it as Clark telling an updated version of what his youth was like. He was a pretty fucked up kid apparently: I think these movies really do mean a lot to him. He might be out to shock a little, but mainly I think he's just getting stuff off his chest, as most filmmakers are.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

NEON MERCURY

I feel that  he is trying to shock people just for the sake of shock value-nothing more-there is no "art" to the shocking parts of this film.  He(Kids)  gives a bad name to anyone who wants to shock someone for a "artistic" merit/meaning/point.  I am sure some can name others but I find Mr. Lynch's films shocking but i do not feel cheated by his films and "the means justify the cause" or Aronofsky as another example(i.e. the last 5 or so mins. of RFAD)-that is shocking but not shocking just for the sake of sock value.

Lynch=   :shock:
Aronofsky= :shock:
Clark= :silly:  :sleeping:  :roll:

godardian

Quote from: EL__SCORCHOI don't like Another Day in Paradise, but I do like Kids and Bully. He does seem like kind of an old perv, but what's he gonna do, stay home and do nothing? I say let the man do whatever he wants, if you don't like his films then just stay away from his future releases.

I actually think I like Paradise the best of all of his. I really despise Bully.

Pookie, you should give Kids a chance. I guess it is sort of like Bully in a way, but without the flop-sweat, which makes all the difference in this case.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.