L'Auberge Espagnole (Euro Pudding)

Started by Pas, May 26, 2003, 08:14:26 PM

Bud_Clay

**Semi Spoilers***Yeah I just saw it a few days ago myself.  I'll have to agree Audrey was very underused.  The little bit of a part that she did have wasn't much of a challenge either you could easily tell.  ..Besides that I was pretty unimpressed with the movie it's self.  It really went nowhere and in the end he randomly decides to become a writer?  Fucking stupid.  Oh well, I wouldn't have given the movie any interest at all without Audrey's appearance.

Pas

Hummm...all I hear is how Audrey Tautou's underused ... well, it's not like the title is Audrey Tautou: The movie. She played her part well enough and that's it.

Also, the becoming a writer thing isn't random, he says at the very beginning that's what he wanted. I mean, I can understand you don't like a movie but please, not just because by the lack of appearance of a liked actress and a plot point you disagree with. Don't say it went nowhere, the movie is obviously how a socially conformed young man changes his way of life when he lives a cultural shock. Nothing original, not at all, but it is still what drives the movie from the beginning, conformity to the end, rebelion.

Sorry, I don't usually try to defend the art I like, but I don't know, maybe this movie is just too personnal for me I guess.

Bud_Clay

Quote from: BoothHummm...all I hear is how Audrey Tautou's underused ... well, it's not like the title is Audrey Tautou: The movie. She played her part well enough and that's it.

Also, the becoming a writer thing isn't random, he says at the very beginning that's what he wanted. I mean, I can understand you don't like a movie but please, not just because by the lack of appearance of a liked actress and a plot point you disagree with. Don't say it went nowhere, the movie is obviously how a socially conformed young man changes his way of life when he lives a cultural shock. Nothing original, not at all, but it is still what drives the movie from the beginning, conformity to the end, rebelion.

Sorry, I don't usually try to defend the art I like, but I don't know, maybe this movie is just too personnal for me I guess.

I wouldnt dislike it simply because of the lacking of Audrey Tautou.   But more Tautou can never hurt. Surely we can agree on that.  I think having a crush on a girl can really save a bad movie from sucking entirely.  

You know what else I could barely stand was that dream sequence at the end.  

How is this movie personal for you, if you don't mind me asking?

Pas

I don't mind at all ... I went in Montreal when I was 18 to go to college, I was from a real small town, spoke no english, and now started living in the city with my sister, french too but completly fluent in english, a guy who spoke english (and a little french) and a girl who spoke english and spanish only. That's were I discovered alternative movies, I learned english, got into philosophy and all, so I had pretty much the same coming of age as the guy in the movie. Though my story is far less romantic... ***spoilers***there were no lesbians and I didn't have a hot (underused  :wink: ) girlfriend who came to visit me. And I seduced no married woman or anything :-) These were the days...

Oh, and I do have to admit a little more Tautou wouldn't have hurt ;-)

Bud_Clay

i'd love to go to montreal.  i've only heard about how awesome it is.  i suppose it's the closest thing to france that there is in this region of the world.

Pas

Actually, Quebec City would be more "France-like" ... with the actual 17th century fortification still surrounding the city and all...

pete

this movie feels like a grown-up version of almost famous--where a boy (also with a hippee mom) goes on a journey away from home and parties and has sex, then comes home a little more jaded.  But the magic with almost famous is how innocent William Miller is, Xavier is a little more manipulative, a little more of a prick and it's harder to like him.  also it seems like just a big inside joke for people who've traveled abroad.  The good thing about it is that the characters are smart and have intelligent chats about things, the bad thing about it is even though they are smart, like most college (and grad) students, they still continue on with their stupid things, which are sometimes less entertaining than the filmmaker likes to think they are to watch.
I think my favorite thing about the movie is how the director plays a lot of the scenes without any background music and stuff though he coulda so obviously played whatever hot exotic music that is appropriate for the scene.  the movie does do that too, but it coulda gone overboard with the music and it doesn't, that's cool.
anyone seen when cat's away by the same guy?  that one was good.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton