M. Night Shyamalan's The Village

Started by European Son, May 21, 2003, 10:07:35 PM

Sleuth

Quote from: rustinglass
Quote from: Sleuth
YOU GUYS ARE SAYING THAT THE POINT WAS SUBTLE?

not at all. the word I used was "obviously".

That still doesn't explain why I'd rather have not understood it
I like to hug dogs

Kal

This is the biggest piece of shit movie... It was weird that I didnt see it until today, but now I understand why...

socketlevel

i've read the last couple pages of posts and it's sad to see the point has been lost entirely over the last few months.  whether the film is subtle or overt is not the issue.  sure the isolation/bush allusions are there; but to what extent?  one can not assume that just because the topic is covered in the film, it naturally must have a social progressive message.  there exists also conservative reform rhetoric.  the first step has been taken, and the majority see a message formulated in the film, now dissect the rhetoric (the way the message is treated) and you will see that it backs bush, backs fear, and does not wage any action against the contemporary anti-free thinking mindset.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

The Perineum Falcon

I didn't think it took the side of either.
I thought it was more of an observation that people would rather choose to hide, to be controlled, to be kept isolated from the outside world than to face the inevitable dangers that will touch them all. It is for the viewer to decide if this is right or wrong.
The radio broadcast of the war was just to give us a contemporary time frame; this is happening today, not 20 years before.

(I'm almost positive this point has been made before...)
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

SiliasRuby

This film was a bit disapointing, maybe because of the hype for it, but the end made me smile and it was quite disturbing and sad the way the characters felt about the world around them.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Pubrick

Quote from: SiliasRuby on May 10, 2006, 11:40:09 AM
This film was a bit disapointing, maybe because of the hype for it
what hype? what year are you living in? the general hype for this film is/was nothing but negative reviews and accounts of disappointment.
under the paving stones.

©brad

yea okay, so tell me again why we're talking about this movie?

RegularKarate

Quote from: ©brad on May 10, 2006, 03:08:31 PM
yea okay, so tell me again why we're talking about this movie?

tell me about it... every time I see this thread's been updated, I think that they're finally releasing the Criterion.  Let's hold off until we get some REAL news people!