Now Playing

Started by Mesh, May 15, 2003, 05:18:24 PM

tpfkabi

Quote from: Pedro the Alpaca on May 13, 2009, 12:29:52 PM
The Nels touch is apparent throughout, but there's more focus on his supporting work than his spotlight freakouts. 

ok.
there are already some long threads on the Via Chicago forum.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

not being a fan of SBS at all my expectations were almost zero for this and after a listen or two i like this.  i'll never love them like i did once but this has some good songs it sounds like.  though so far its been on in the background(!)

edit: i'm paying more attention.  some of it is SBS mellowbad.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Magik Markers - Boss

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

cinemanarchist

Animal Collective - Animal Crack Box
My assholeness knows no bounds.

hedwig

tpfkabi

Quote from: Hedwig on May 16, 2009, 08:10:13 PM

pretty good.

interesting. i just got this out this morning for the first time in years and i'm still blown away.

i'm going to have to look around and see if this recording has been studied/broken down to what mics, reverbs were used, etc.

SiliasRuby

Such a beautiful album. Gets me stirred with emotions every day I spin it.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Stefen

I've been on a Fleet Foxes kick, too. Their really great. Robin Pecknold has one of the best voices in music right now.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Quote from: Stefen on May 18, 2009, 12:33:45 PM
Robin Pecknold has one of the best voices in music right now.

yeah, Jim James's. 

zing!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

haha, get outta here. Jim James is trash.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

tpfkabi

Quote from: modage on May 18, 2009, 12:39:15 PM
Quote from: Stefen on May 18, 2009, 12:33:45 PM
Robin Pecknold has one of the best voices in music right now.

yeah, Jim James's. 

zing!

seconded.

Neil

Quote from: bigideas on May 18, 2009, 07:47:35 AM
Quote from: Hedwig on May 16, 2009, 08:10:13 PM

pretty good.

interesting. i just got this out this morning for the first time in years and i'm still blown away.

i'm going to have to look around and see if this recording has been studied/broken down to what mics, reverbs were used, etc.

I think that it had to have been studied, maybe not in the best way, but ever since that cd (and the discs that follow) people have been ripping off the sounds and styles found through out that disc.  Just picture less smart peole trying to do it, and coming up with some sort of formula and shit. But, i know what you mean, i'd like to know the techniques used.  I hear the house they recorded in was pretty interesting, i'm sure you know all about it though.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

tpfkabi

yes.
from 97 to about 2000 you could really hear it's imprint on album after album.

a few i can think of:

Our Lady Peace - Happiness is a Fish...
Better Than Ezra - How Does Your Garden Grow? (there is a good amount of Rhodes on this)
Delirious - Mezzamorphisis (Christian band that really loved that album and you can tell).

i had forgotten how reverb-y OKC was in comparison to Kid A.

for some reason i really love Nigel Godrich's production around that time - i like all of the first records he worked on with Beck (Mutations over Sea Change/The Information), Travis (The Man Who over The Invisible Band), Pavement (Terror Twilight) etc more than the seconds.

it makes me wonder how he changed his recording techniques since then.

i know he did the first Natalie Imbruglia album and Torn so i have wondered how that whole record sounded but have never gotten it.

The Perineum Falcon

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Neil

I just put up a cover of a great John Prine song "Sam Stone" Check it out, let me know what you guys think

http://www.myspace.com/juliusseizureinc
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.