Does The Matrix Make Sense?

Started by Mesh, May 12, 2003, 03:33:58 PM

Mesh

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: MeshI understand how the phones are used as plot devices.  What I'm asking, though, is "Does it makes sense that Morpheus's rebels would need to get to such portals, seeing that they're all trained to some extent in defying the rules of the Matrix?"

Yes. Those 'defying the rules' are used inside the Matrix. The portals are used to send the team in and out of the Matrix, using the spikes in the back of their heads. "The mind makes it real" and they need to jack into the mind to enter the Matrix and exit back to reality.

OK, but see the film says that the Matrix is a construct that exists only in minds.  It is not a place and therefore the concept of locations (like, say, telephone booths) isn't consistent.  The phones don't exist; how could they function as technological portals?  If those chairs on the Nebuchadnezzar can send people into the Matrix at any given place, why can't they pull them back out from any given place?

(Remember, I've seen this film only twice; I could be missing something.)

Mesh

Quote from: tremoloslothBut then you wouldn't have asked in the first place.  The Matrix makes sense to me.

But I'm not sure it does.  Apparently you disagree.  Fine.  Thanks for your two cents.

Sleuth

May I please add more, or have you severed my line of opinion
I like to hug dogs

Sleuth

Well here I go anyway (and is this really opinion anyway?
)
Quote from: MeshIf those chairs on the Nebuchadnezzar can send people into the Matrix at any given place, why can't they pull them back out from any given place?

(Remember, I've seen this film only twice; I could be missing something.)

They don't send them to any given place.  Remember when they were going to see the Oracle(I think it was when they were going to see the oracle, it's when all of them went along) they appeared around a phone.
I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

Quote from: MeshOK, but see the film says that the Matrix is a construct that exists only in minds.  It is not a place and therefore the concept of locations (like, say, telephone booths) isn't consistent.  The phones don't exist; how could they function as technological portals?  If those chairs on the Nebuchadnezzar can send people into the Matrix at any given place, why can't they pull them back out from any given place?

It exists in the minds of those enslaved as batteries. So everything is real to them. Think of it this way, the phone lines are like the phone lines used with your modem to let you get online, and you have to find the right service number to be able get online.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Mesh

Quote from: MacGuffin
It exists in the minds of those enslaved as batteries. So everything is real to them. Think of it this way, the phone lines are like the phone lines used with your modem to let you get online, and you have to find the right service number to be able get online.

Dude, I don't think you're getting my point.

1.  I understand what the plot tells us the phone lines are for.

2.  Morpheus's rebels are no longer enslaved as batteries.  The Matrix no longer "exists" for them; they recognize it as a construct and use that recognition as a weapon against those in control of the Matrix (they are, in effect, enlightened and exhibit supernatural ability because of it).

3.  The phone lines don't exist (see my point #2).  Morpheus's rebels should know that they don't exist, yet the plot tells us that they use those non-existent phones as a way to transport in and out of the Matrix.  Does that make sense?

I'll think about this more tonight and get back to you guys later.  Gotta go to my "No-Internet" job now....

Meanwhile, argue amongst yourselves and, hey, somebody take up my "The Matrix may not make much sense" position...

RegularKarate

See the phone booths aren't there but the portals are.  The phone booths are just numbers represented visually by the phones.  They're just interface, like icons on your desktop.

While Morpheus and his gang understand that they're not really phones, Neo is really the only ONE that can see everything for what it actually is, which gives him more control.  Look at what happens in that last battle, he sees the walls and ceiling as ones and zeros, that's what it is... he sees beyond the interface, he can see the code and can therefore defy it better.

So, we can't see beyond one yet... Ghostboy has, but most of us haven't... maybe Neo can now move back and forth without the phones because of his new abilities.

Banky

I have a friend, we'll call him ASSFACE, who always claims that THE MATRIX is really good but full of plot holes.  When i ask him what plotholes he only can come up with this. ASSFACE-"If neo knows that its all just ones and zereos then he is unstoppable.  What is the point of another movie?  He knows the truth and cant be stopped so he is invincable."  I always come back with "Yeah he knows its all just code. But so does Morpheus and Trinity.  Neo is just better at breaking the rules of the code than anyone else.  Yeah i agree that he cannot be killed in the matrix but dont you think he could be contained?"  I think that is a valid answer to his question.  Anyone else agree or care to elaborate so we can shut down people like ASSFACE who throw slander at a movie just because it is to complex for them to understand?

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

picolas

just 'acause Neo can break the rules doesn't mean he can just forget most of all of mankind, enslaved in pods they can't even see...how's he going to save everyone? and Neo ain't immortal in the real world. remember the sentinels...

Sal

The "what is the point?" is actually a valid question for the matrix, especially "Reloaded," or so I read.  All the kung fu stuff, all the glitz...while entertaining, ultimately does not bear much importance if Neo can see the code and do...pretty much whatever the hell he wants in the matrix.  So one would start to question why he remains so constrained in it.

Jeremy Blackman

I don't know, the whole thing is kind of stolen from Star Trek...

MacGuffin

Sure Neo can see the code, but look at the trailer for "Reloaded". The Agents say "He is still only human." And the computers quest was not to find or get Neo, it is to find Zion and kill all the freed humans. They were only persuring Neo to get to Morpheus because Morpheus has the codes to the city. That is until Cypher made a deal with Agent Smith.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pwaybloe

*nerd.......overload........bzzzzzzkt........*

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: RegularKarateSee the phone booths aren't there but the portals are.  The phone booths are just numbers represented visually by the phones.  They're just interface, like icons on your desktop.

While Morpheus and his gang understand that they're not really phones, Neo is really the only ONE that can see everything for what it actually is, which gives him more control.  Look at what happens in that last battle, he sees the walls and ceiling as ones and zeros, that's what it is... he sees beyond the interface, he can see the code and can therefore defy it better.

So, we can't see beyond one yet... Ghostboy has, but most of us haven't... maybe Neo can now move back and forth without the phones because of his new abilities.

Mesh, he nailed it.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls