Perfume

Started by rustinglass, May 11, 2003, 07:38:55 AM

BlueDragon

Allow me to suggest John Malkovich for the part of Grenouille. When I read the book I only imagined John Malkovich.

rustinglass

that would be cool but he would have to look much younger.

I don't think grenouille would look credible as an old guy.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Pubrick

just read this last week.. and it's funny now that i see he wanted Kubrick to make it. JB u gotta check this out.

GT, the black and white thing? whatever! his dream castle would have to be colour, vibrant purple and reds with raven-blacks for the invisible hands. this is the perfect colour film man! anyway, as i was saying, it's funny that he wanted kubrick to make it cos as i was reading it i kept thinking of Full Metal Jacket and sometimes clockwork and EWS. what a magnificent little book. could this film be anything other than literally brilliant.

*SPOILERS probably*
it's hella fast paced, i don't think u noticed. the book moves at lightning speed, indeed the only times things stand still are when he recognises a good scent and he "surrenders" to it. at every other time he is yearning for that ellusive but flawless and specific scent.

for the climactic scenes of orgies and cannibalism, the only way to translate his beauty visually would be as they described "and all at once he had been bathed in beauty like blazing fire". i can't imagine this being anything other than the most visually vibrant and sensual thing ever, so ur B&W comment is really inappropriate unless u wanna sap all the life out of the story. u are right about one thing tho, thom yorke would be Perfect.

i was just thinking of Full Metal Jacket the whole time, over and over and over, everything from the fog to the mercy killing to the castle to the natural ironic conclusion of his odyssey, the way that he chokes in his dream and then awake (reversed), the release from this fear, the "love" that is created.

ridley will keep it dark and in the end u will barely notice the love if at all, that's a damn shame. he's good with his purples tho, he won't disappoint there.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Orlando Bloom Wanted to Smell Perfume
Source: Variety

German director Tom Tykwer (Heaven) will direct the 18th-century thriller Perfume: The Story of a Murderer for Constantin Film. Variety reports that Orlando Bloom is said to be high on the company's wish list to play the role of Jean-Baptiste Grenouille, an odorless Frenchman driven to murder by an olfactory obsession.

The film was originally intended as a directorial vehicle for Ridley Scott when Constantin founder Bernd Eichinger acquired the rights to Patrick Sueskind's novel three years ago in what was one of the biggest book deals in years.

Having gone through various stages of rewrites, first by Caroline Thompson (Edward Scissorhands) and lastly by Andrew Birkin, who co-wrote Eichinger's 1986 production The Name of the Rose and more recently Luc Besson's The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc, the film looks set to shoot this year.

"Perfume" chronicles the life of a man born with no smell of his own yet he develops a near super-human olfactory sense. Using his talent to create unrivaled perfumes, he turns to murder while searching for the ultimate scent.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffinOrlando Bloom Wanted to Smell Perfume
Source: Variety

German director Tom Tykwer (Heaven) will direct the 18th-century thriller Perfume: The Story of a Murderer for Constantin Film.

:)  He did such a brilliant job with Heaven, I have every confidence this will be beautiful.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

cowboykurtis

i almost dont want to make movies anymore, now that i will never be able to obtain this material - fuck!
...your excuses are your own...

MacGuffin

'Lola' Director Tykwer Sniffs Out Killer Role
Source: Hollywood Reporter

German director Tom Tykwer, who shot the hit film "Run Lola Run," will start work on the period thriller "Perfume: The Story of a Murder" next summer in France and Germany.

Set in 18th century France, "Perfume" is adapted from the book by Patrick Suskind, postwar Germany's biggest selling novel with sales of some 15 million copies.

British actor Ben Whishaw will play Jean-Baptiste Grenouille, a man born with no odor but a super-refined sense of smell who becomes a scent-maker and eventually resorts to murder to extract elements to create the ultimate fragrance.

Dustin Hoffman and Alan Rickman are also squaring up to co-star, said Martin Moszkowicz of the $66 million project's German producer Constantin Film. Tykwer co-wrote the screenplay with Constantin founder Bernd Eichinger. Following his 1998 international breakthrough, he went on to direct the 2002 film "Heaven," starring Cate Blanchett and Giovanni Ribisi.

Whishaw, 24, earlier this year became the youngest actor to play Hamlet at the Old Vic in London. The actor's recent film credits include Brit gangster movie "Layer Cake" and the romantic comedy "Enduring Love."

His name comes as something of a surprise because Constantin had previously been angling after a higher-profile lead, with Orlando Bloom among names cited at the top of their wish-list.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Perfume' for Hoffman, Rickman
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Dustin Hoffman and Alan Rickman are set for the feature film adaptation of Patrick Suskind's international best seller "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer." Constantin Film is producing the project, for which the two actors have been touted since the fall.

Hoffman will play Guiseppe Baldini, the perfume maker, and Rickman will be Antoine, the merchant father of a young woman who becomes the subject of obsession for Jean-Baptiste Grenouille, the central character in the film, to be played by British actor Ben Whishaw. Grenouille's obsession turns to murder when he seeks to bottle the scent of the beautiful young virgin. The tale is set in 18th century Paris.

Tom Tykwer ("Run Lola Run") will direct the picture, which he co-wrote with Constantin founder Bernd Eichinger and Andrew Birkin. Caroline Thompson also is receiving a writing credit.

Suskind closely guarded the feature film rights to his book. But Eichinger won him over in 2001 during an intense bidding war at a time when Germany's distributors and producers were flush with cash from the Neuer Markt stock exchange.

Eichinger is no stranger to literary adaptations. His credits include Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose" Hubert Selby Jr.'s "Last Exit to Brooklyn" and Peter Hoeg's "Smilla's Sense of Snow."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

great news all around! tykwer will hav to try hard to ruin this now, with good writers and a solid cast behind him.

and ben whishaw..

perfect. it had to be an unknown.
under the paving stones.

Pwaybloe

That guy looks great.  Richard Ashcroft-ish.

rustinglass

Whishaw looks great! even better than noah taylor!
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Pwaybloe

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Quote from: Pubrickgreat news all around! tykwer will hav to try hard to ruin this now, with good writers and a solid cast behind him.

you don't like tykwer?      i'm not defending run lola run or anything, but  the princess and the warrior and heaven are gut
context, context, context.

Pubrick

havn't seen heaven yet. wintersleepers was alrite but really amateur hour with the colours.

princess was boring tho i plan to see it again. it had the feeling of little rewatchability.

which brings me to the problem of lola. it makes me sad that i will never watch lola again, cos there's nothing more to see in it. and i like to think that a good movie is one u can watch over and over again. his movies' life expectancies are low for the talent he clearly has.

perfume is a book which can be read a million times. that's all he needs to capture to make it work.
under the paving stones.