XIXAX Film Forum

Alicia Widar

Jeremy Blackman · 6 · 203

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
on: October 03, 2020, 07:09:00 PM

Randomly recommended by the YouTube algorithm.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 09:35:19 PM

Alright, someone get this girl a mic. She's recording all these videos on a phone.

Her cover of "Down In A Hole" went kinda viral (680k views), so that's probably why I got this rec.

WorldForgot

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 09:53:03 PM
Soundz sick! And dig the HXH too ~

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 10:42:45 PM
She's stunning, honestly.

I have a strong bias towards female vocalists. That's my baseline. Other qualities I prize are unique vocal style and technical prowess. So, you know, singers like Hayley Williams, Elly Jackson, Susanne Sundfor, etc. I think Alicia Widar has that potential. Her vocal control is incredible, and I think I’ve yet to hear a single missed note.

Some of her earliest covers have less emotion (or she doesn't always express it in her face), but she seems to be channeling some real pathos with the two in my last post. And I actually do think there's a lot of subtle emotion in the "Linger" cover. (Hot take: The Cranberries' studio version of that song is a bit emotionally limp, which is strange considering the gut-punch that "Zombie" is.)

Most of these covers have some insane moment that just floors me. In “Down In A Hole,” it’s 2:55–3:40 (approx). In “Jeremy,” its 1:20–1:40.

In “Linger,” it’s really the whole section from 0:50–1:30. She just effortlessly slays it. And gives it a rawness & vulnerability that isn’t there in the original. She even adds an Avril Lavigne-style flourish to “is that the way we stand.”

Her “Say It Ain’t So” cover (below) was posted a year ago, so she's less experienced on the guitar, but her vocals are still on fire. I'm amazed by 2:00, 2:40, and 3:40.

WorldForgot

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~
Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 02:55:42 PM
Alicia Widar spotted liking a Chaebae pic ~  a great bias, and she might not cover Twice but dope to know we're once.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 04:00:00 PM
A grunge kpop cover would definitely be something.