XIXAX Film Forum

Phantom Thread - SPOILERS!

matt35mm · 297 · 62858

Tdog

• The Vision Quest
Reply #285 on: October 10, 2020, 10:03:09 AM
Yeah I think he's said that!

I just go back and forth between the last stretch of The Master dragging or running smooth (the post motorcycle section).

With Vice I figured he might have convinced PTA to cut out more scenes.

WorldForgot

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~
Reply #286 on: October 10, 2020, 10:05:57 AM
With Vice I figured he might have convinced PTA to cut out more scenes.

Zoinkz!

Tdog

• The Vision Quest
Reply #287 on: October 10, 2020, 10:10:08 AM
I'm still watching! So Tichenor suggested to PTA that he write scenes with older H.W hence the last section of TWBB. Mega Zoinkz!

kingfan011

• The Vision Quest
Reply #288 on: October 10, 2020, 10:42:37 AM
Possibly my favorite line in the Tichenor talk:

"I'm always pushing Paul to put plot in his movies because he's great at characters and great at mood...but give me a story as well.  I'm that guy."

Yes, that stuck out to me as well. Clearly no coincidence that films he's worked on are deemed the most accessible/well liked by the general public.

Lol that cracked me up. Can Dylan just edit all of Paul's movies. Clearly he is a good influence.

Tdog

• The Vision Quest
Reply #289 on: October 10, 2020, 11:09:16 AM
Possibly my favorite line in the Tichenor talk:

"I'm always pushing Paul to put plot in his movies because he's great at characters and great at mood...but give me a story as well.  I'm that guy."

Yes, that stuck out to me as well. Clearly no coincidence that films he's worked on are deemed the most accessible/well liked by the general public.

Lol that cracked me up. Can Dylan just edit all of Paul's movies. Clearly he is a good influence.

I'm with you man!

Alma

• The Road of Trials
Reply #290 on: October 10, 2020, 12:14:37 PM
See I think the editing of The Master and Inherent Vice works really well with the type of film they are, and I guess he was looking for a different vibe with those. But yeah clearly Tichenor's contributions are major.

Drenk

Reply #291 on: October 10, 2020, 12:39:44 PM
My only issue with The Master is that the scene in Phoenix where Freddie beats somebody and becomes upset with Master is too cryptic, but maybe that was the intention? Something seems to be missing before the motorcycle scene. It goes from an idyllic moment between the two to bad blood. At least, I wish that they had included the scene in Back Beyond where Freddie accepts a prize and Master is the one looking at him.
Ascension.

Tdog

• The Vision Quest
Reply #292 on: October 10, 2020, 02:15:07 PM
See I think the editing of The Master and Inherent Vice works really well with the type of film they are, and I guess he was looking for a different vibe with those.

Yeah you are probably right. I make my previous comments despite the fact that I love both of those movies. The Master probably IS my favourite PTA movie just slightly ahead of TWBB. It's just a damn slippery movie at times and even though I endlessly adore it I still stand by my feelings that the post motorcycle section is a bit too loose.

Rooty Poots

• The Road of Trials
    • Rooty Poots
Reply #293 on: October 10, 2020, 03:14:27 PM
I gather that he isnít editing Soggy Bottom, though.

Why do you gather that? Iím curious, I donít think Iíve seen anything that implied that but I may have missed it! I really hope heís on board.

Drenk

Reply #294 on: October 10, 2020, 03:23:58 PM

Why do you gather that? Iím curious, I donít think Iíve seen anything that implied that but I may have missed it! I really hope heís on board.

If heís currently working on a Marvel movie I donít see how he could be right now working on Soggy Bottom, but thatís not certain.
Ascension.

Rooty Poots

• The Road of Trials
    • Rooty Poots
Reply #295 on: October 10, 2020, 03:57:14 PM

If heís currently working on a Marvel movie I donít see how he could be right now working on Soggy Bottom, but thatís not certain.

Ahh I guess I somehow didnít notice that but. I wonder if heíd be able to do it after? From the interview he clearly works from the very beginning, cutting and editing as they film. But maybe thisíll be different? Iím an Alaskan bumpkin, I know absolutely zilch about how flexible these productions are.

Tdog

• The Vision Quest
Reply #296 on: October 10, 2020, 04:05:22 PM
If any PTA movie seems like it would need to be cut as they are filming it would definitely be this one; taking into account the current circumstances of how they are working, gauging the need for reshoots, seeing if performances are working etc.