Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Find Your Magali

Quote from: Rooty Poots on September 14, 2021, 04:29:45 PM
Quote from: wilberfan on September 14, 2021, 04:23:01 PM
I'm not sure how much potential Oscar weight a (and I'm making an educated guess, here) feel-good, fun, nostalgic, coming-of-age, Hollywood adventure-romance would have?  It's likely to be a"so white" production on top of that, right?   I could see hearts swelling and Coops getting a nomination (or a win)...but Best Picture?  Best Screenplay?  I guess we don't really have enough to judge.   Don't Oscars always tend to lean a little more heavily towards "serious" movies?

I feel like its chances at Best Picture are definitely slim, but this could be the year he actually wins Best Director—those don't seem to be as tied down to the seriousness of the film, right? I could see him having a good chance at that even if it turns out to be a lower-tier PTA simply due to the fact that so many people think he's due a win.

PTA's first Oscar win, when it comes, will almost certainly be for screenplay. It's an easier way for the Academy to split up awards and honor writer-directors they admire: Spike Lee, Tarantino, Jordan Peele, Spike Jonze, Waititi...

I think Ridley Scott, maybe, is going to have the inside track to the director win this year, if House of Gucci delivers.

pynchonikon

Rated R it is, then - again!

Language (as expected)
Sexual material (but no -graphic- nudity?)
Some drug use (bring the weed boys!)

https://www.twitter.com/mavericksmovies/status/1437928846754336768

Sounds milder than Boogie/IV, as it should right?

PaulElroy35

Quote from: Montclair on September 14, 2021, 08:41:30 PM
Quote from: wilberfan on September 14, 2021, 05:15:58 PM
Hence the, "Whose turn is it to make a PTA movie?" quote!  :yabbse-grin:

Quote from: Drenk on September 14, 2021, 05:17:35 PM
But now that everybody has lost money with the guy... :yabbse-grin:

This is my big concern.

Quote from: Mattbish19 on September 14, 2021, 07:52:06 PM
Untill the film is out and we see how it does no one knows yet including YOU if theybhave dropped the ball.

Way to refute the specific points I made, you really showed me, didn't you? Your addition to the discourse is invaluable.

Making it sound like the PTA subreddit around here buddy.

Yes

Quote from: Find Your Magali on September 14, 2021, 08:46:03 PM
Quote from: Rooty Poots on September 14, 2021, 04:29:45 PM
Quote from: wilberfan on September 14, 2021, 04:23:01 PM
I'm not sure how much potential Oscar weight a (and I'm making an educated guess, here) feel-good, fun, nostalgic, coming-of-age, Hollywood adventure-romance would have?  It's likely to be a"so white" production on top of that, right?   I could see hearts swelling and Coops getting a nomination (or a win)...but Best Picture?  Best Screenplay?  I guess we don't really have enough to judge.   Don't Oscars always tend to lean a little more heavily towards "serious" movies?

I feel like its chances at Best Picture are definitely slim, but this could be the year he actually wins Best Director—those don't seem to be as tied down to the seriousness of the film, right? I could see him having a good chance at that even if it turns out to be a lower-tier PTA simply due to the fact that so many people think he's due a win.

PTA's first Oscar win, when it comes, will almost certainly be for screenplay. It's an easier way for the Academy to split up awards and honor writer-directors they admire: Spike Lee, Tarantino, Jordan Peele, Spike Jonze, Waititi...

I think Ridley Scott, maybe, is going to have the inside track to the director win this year, if House of Gucci delivers.

I think Gucci is going to be trashed in all honestly. It looks messy and he's out of his element there. The Last Duel has middling reviews and that should have been an easy slam dunk. Also, any appearance of Jared Leto in a movie is a liability

PTA can win Screenplay since he just needs to beat Kenneth Branagh for Belfast. Unless this is a Green Book year, I think that isn't an impossible task.

Find Your Magali

Kind of crazy that Branagh doesn't have an Oscar, either.

Vicko99

Quote from: pynchonikon on September 14, 2021, 08:51:01 PM
Rated R it is, then - again!

Language (as expected)
Sexual material (but no -graphic- nudity?)
Some drug use (bring the weed boys!)

https://www.twitter.com/mavericksmovies/status/1437928846754336768

Sounds milder than Boogie/IV, as it should right?

How there's no violence???? What about the B-Cooper scenes?

Alethia

pynchonikon

Or they play out more in the JGoodman-smashing-car kind of funny way, I guess?

PinkTeeth

I hope they say "Fuck", "Shit", and "Fuckin' Asshole"
New Name, Same Typos.

Yes

PDL doesn't include "violence" in its rating despite the scene of Sandler smashing the brothers. Vice has "some violence".

©brad

Quote from: Yes on September 14, 2021, 08:58:19 PM
I think Gucci is going to be trashed in all honestly. It looks messy and he's out of his element there.

Gucci is going to be amazing. Trash, sure. But that's the point.

Yes

Quote from: ©brad on September 14, 2021, 09:27:14 PM
Quote from: Yes on September 14, 2021, 08:58:19 PM
I think Gucci is going to be trashed in all honestly. It looks messy and he's out of his element there.

Gucci is going to be amazing. Trash, sure. But that's the point.

Oh, yeah for sure. It's going to be a hot mess (which as you say is the point) but the reviews won't be good to win an Oscar! Wonder if it approaches The Counselor level

HACKANUT

Quote from: Yes on September 14, 2021, 03:32:47 PM
Quote from: eward on September 14, 2021, 02:35:55 PM
Where are you located currently?

Pittsburgh!

I'm also in Pittsburgh! Didn't think any one on xixax would be local to me. Would be cool to see LP with a fellow xixaxer if you'd be into that.

wilberfan

Jeremy Blackman

That was funny, but I'll be deleting troll posts, even if you're reposting someone else's troll.