Bad Santa

Started by ShanghaiOrange, April 20, 2003, 10:07:02 PM

metroshane

QuoteWhere does the talent of Bernie Mac fit in

It's is my opinion that Bernie Mac is an extremely witty comedian.  He's more  on the Richard Pryor side than say the Eddie Griffin.  I'm not saying he's pryor, but knows the line.  His comedy is funny and his TV show has lots of heart.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Sleuth

Quote from: metroshane
QuoteWhere does the talent of Bernie Mac fit in

It's is my opinion that Bernie Mac is an extremely witty comedian.  He's more  on the Richard Pryor side than say the Eddie Griffin.  I'm not saying he's pryor, but knows the line.  His comedy is funny and his TV show has lots of heart.

Okay, he has more heart than most other stuff out there, but I'm really tired from hearing about his family.
I like to hug dogs

modage

Dimension Home Video have announced the region one release of Bad Santa which stars Billy Bob Thornton, Tony Cox, Lauren Graham and Brett Kelly. This twisted, merrily irreverent comedy will be available to own from the 22nd June this year and should set you back somewhere in the region of $29.99. The film will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 track. Extras will include hilarious deleted scenes, a behind-the-scenes special, a John Ritter tribute, outtakes and more. I'm afraid we don't have the artwork yet, but we'll bring you that shortly.

nothing says christmas like june... :roll:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Dimension Home Video's artwork for an unrated edition of Bad Santa which stars Billy Bob Thornton, Tony Cox, Lauren Graham and Brett Kelly. Nothing is known about how much extra footage will be included on this release right now, but the disc will be available to own alongside the theatrical edition from the 22nd June this year. The disc will retail at around $29.99.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pedro

Myxo

Quote from: Pedro the Wombatoh god

Yeah.

I imagine they'll give us 3.85 seconds more of Billy Bob rump humping that blonde girl against the pinball machine.

Yeah baby! Unrated..

Ravi

Or the woman in the dressing room...

El Duderino

Quote from: RaviOr the woman in the dressing room...

she wont be shitting right for weeks!
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Finn

Aww...I should've know they would pull something like this. Stick with the original version.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

modage

Quote from: QuoyleAww...I should've know they would pull something like this. Stick with NOT SEEING EITHER VERSION EVER.
the 'der' is ridiculously awful.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Finn

Hmm...I think my words were a little twisted around there :wink:
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Ravi

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/bad-santa7.html

Title: Bad Santa
Starring: Billy Bob Thornton
Released: 10th October 2006
SRP: $19.99

Further Details:

Dimension Home Video has announced a 88 minute director's cut of Bad Santa which stars Billy Bob Thornton, Tony Cox, Lauren Graham, and the late John Ritter. The disc will be available to own from the 10th October, and should retail at around $19.99. The film will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 track. Extras will include a new audio commentary With Director Terry Zwigoff And Editor Robert Hoffman, deleted and alternate scenes, a Behind the Scenes Special: Not Your Typical Christmas Movie featurette, and lastly, a Badder Santa Gag Reel.

grand theft sparrow

Who would buy this?

Weak2ndAct

Um, people who like the movie, and maybe would want to see Zwigoff's cut?  This is an actual director's cut (screened at the last Ebert-fest), no horseshit-unrated-version like every other dvd these days.

MacGuffin

From the Suicide Girls interview in the Art School Confidential thread:

Quote from: MacGuffin on April 30, 2006, 09:52:15 AMDRE: How was it having such a big mainstream hit with Bad Santa?

Zwigoff: I liked the film but I liked my version better. I thought my film was much more moving and just as funny if not funnier. When I got that script, I could see it was going to be a big hit if it was marketed in a certain way. First thing you need to have a chance of making a successful commercial film is a concept you can get across in a ten second TV ad. With Bad Santa you can do that. With Art School Confidential or Ghost World, it's sort of tough. I do remember one of the Weinsteins telling me that if Miramax had released Ghost World, they could have cut a trailer for that thing and made 50 million dollars. I don't doubt it.

DRE: How long ago did you do your directors cut of Bad Santa?

Zwigoff: I did it when it became clear that they were going to go with a different cut for the theatrical version. I asked Bob Weinstein if he would preserve my cut, and at least put it on DVD and he agreed to do it. In fact they put up a lot of money to do it right. But then they sold their company to Disney, so Disney owns it now. I went to them and asked if they would put it out and they kindly agreed to do so.

DRE: Did you see Badder Santa?

Zwigoff: I did. It's uneven. All the scenes in there didn't quite work out for me. It works on a certain level where there are scenes in there I like and other scenes I don't like. The whole thing doesn't quite have this consistency to it. My cut is a character study of Billy's character. It generally makes his character arc and his relationship with that boy much more truthful and ultimately much more human. The audiences in the test screening wanted Santa to be nicer to the little boy. But that wouldn't make any sense. I always thought of Billy's character as a W.C. Fields character. He has to put up with this pest. Eventually when Billy has affection for him, it is earned. Therefore it just seems more truthful and more emotional to me.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks