Maniac (2012)

Started by Reel, May 17, 2012, 09:14:03 PM

Reel

HOLY FFFFFFFFFF!!! This looks great. The original Maniac is insanely creepy, the only setback today being the archaic makeup effects. This is a step in the right direction, using higher production value to elevate the story, even though that's what every remake is attempting to do, but it's just seems like they got the right idea with what they're doing here. I like the choice of Elijah Wood too, it's so much more interesting to use actors playing serial killers with psychological cunning instead of just brute lumberjack strength. RK will probably kill me for this as his childhood memories are being shat upon yet again.

NSFW!!!

MacGuffin

International Red Band Trailer

Release date: December 26, 2012

Starring: Elijah Wood, America Olivo, Liane Balaban, Nora Arnezeder

Directed by: Franck Khalfoun (P2)

Premise: The owner of a mannequin shop develops a dangerous obsession with a young artist.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reel

Haha, he pulled a Gage...

ENOUGH WITH THESE HORROR MOVIES PUTTING EVERY KILL IN THE TRAILER!!!

This film is going to be deeply unsettling.

William Lustig, director of the original 'Maniac' was on The Treatment with Elvis Mitchell recently. Relevant.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reel

Best horror remake I've ever seen ( stay the fuck out of this, RK ). This is the most realistic and visceral slasher film to come around in a long time. The cinematography and makeup effects are SO good, it achieves what every movie being remade should aspire to- to tell the same story in a new way, not try to make money off the same story from a new audience. I am so thoroughly creeped out still, I need to exorcise it out of my soul. It's the darkest shit I've watched since 'Lords of Salem' ( which was really just disturbing in a "COOL!" kind of way ) but you can't help but admire how skillfully it's cinematic tricks are executed. The entire thing is shot in P.O.V, which makes you identify with the killer and his victims in a way you'd never want to. So every moment of violence hurts that much more because it feels like you're in the situation with them. Plus you're stuck inside Elijah's head with all his torturous thoughts and weird goings on in his apartment. It basically feels like "A Day In The Life Of Buffalo Bill" ( there's a not-so-subtle Silence Of The Lambs nod ). It'll freak you out!!! I only recommend it to horror fans, those of us with strong stomachs and tolerance for gore, all the rest of you can sit this one out. Though I'm sure it will just seem like a romantic comedy to Polka. 

Reel

This is now streaming on Netflix. Check it out if you feel like being punched in the soul

jenkins

liked the red epic and how it moved. the conjuring and maniac have fantastic digital cam use. was also into the electro music, great vibes

the movie, silly. when the girl ran around the parking lot after exiting the train (while still dtown, interesting la imagining) then she was stabbed and etc i thought "oh no." first noticed a departure from the pov during the agent's killing. just to make the killing look better? well, it did. quite brutal, his scalping. watched this with a person and we did that thing where we talked until it ended. like someone hits elijah with a car then becomes confused about driving aka forgets breaks and smashes the car. careful buddy. that, a bad mother (theme from original also, i believe), female empowerment in a horror movie (might catch on!), etc guessables and the end