Talk to Her

Started by ©brad, January 12, 2003, 01:12:09 PM

godardian

Quote from: bonanzataztalk to her was good, but it definitely isn't like early almodovar. labyrinth of passion starts out with a gay spanish punk rocker sniffing glue and going, "dios mio! es fantastico!"

i want to be the american almodovar when i get financiers.

Agreed. And that sounds like exactly my kinda movie; I'll have to seek it out.

I forgot, I have seen High Heels, too.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Vile5

"Hable con ella" (Talk to her) is in my opinion the best Almodovar's  movie is really good, i think i like more than "Todo sobre mi madre" (all about my mother) this is a really good movie!!!
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

chainsmoking insomniac

Sounds pretty cool.  I'll have to check these out.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

SHAFTR

I saw Talk to Her in the theatres a few months back and really liked it.  I had no interest and seeing it but I went anyways and was really impressed.  It in my top 5 films of the year.

I have heard that the subtitles for the end of "Breathless" don't match very well, anyone know more about this?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

onoff

To me, Talk to her felt like a pro-rape propaganda reformulated à la typical Almodovar 'touch'.

A real stab in the back to rape victims.& I felt no pity whatsoever when Benigno killed himself. On the contrary...If your comatose daughter, your own flesh and blood was abused, impregnated by a schizo, in real life..You probably wouldn't have any compassion for a guy like Benigno.

Rape is not an act of love. An act of love has to be mutual. No matter how nice Benigno seemed, He's still  a serious degenerated mental case. If I was the father of tht abused girl, I would strangle the guy to death with my bare hands.

There's more honesty in a Larry Clark film than in this cleverly dissimulated rape-drama,cause that's what this film is about. Only Almodovar's film is formulated in such a way, that it is hard not to sympathize with his lead character.  Manipulation at its very best.

rape towards comatose patients exists, and there's nothing romantic about it.
http://www.cnn.com/US/9810/26/patient.abuse/

Talk to her

8/10 for the craftsmanship

0/10 for the message.

Alicia becomes pregnant when Benigno rapes her, and it is the delivery of her child, which dies, that wakes her from her coma. There is something deeply disturbing about this idea, that in the end it takes a rape to free her from her captivity. How far is this from the fantasy that raped women end up enjoying it?
Michael W.philips Jr

Cecil

i think you misunderstood the film. and i dont think you understand what an "act of love" is either. of course what benigno did was wrong, because it was rape. but that doesnt mean that he didnt love her or meant her any harm, which isnt to say that he shouldve done what he did. no matter what his feelings are, its still rape. which is why he shouldnt of done it.

©brad

Quote from: onoffTo me, Talk to her felt like a pro-rape propaganda reformulated à la typical Almodovar 'touch'.

A real stab in the back to rape victims.& I felt no pity whatsoever when Benigno killed himself. On the contrary...If your comatose daughter, your own flesh and blood was abused, impregnated by a schizo, in real life..You probably wouldn't have any compassion for a guy like Benigno.

Rape is not an act of love. An act of love has to be mutual. No matter how nice Benigno seemed, He's still  a serious degenerated mental case. If I was the father of tht abused girl, I would strangle the guy to death with my bare hands.

There's more honesty in a Larry Clark film than in this cleverly dissimulated rape-drama,cause that's what this film is about. Only Almodovar's film is formulated in such a way, that it is hard not to sympathize with his lead character.  Manipulation at its very best.

rape towards comatose patients exists, and there's nothing romantic about it.
http://www.cnn.com/US/9810/26/patient.abuse/

Talk to her

8/10 for the craftsmanship

0/10 for the message.

Alicia becomes pregnant when Benigno rapes her, and it is the delivery of her child, which dies, that wakes her from her coma. There is something deeply disturbing about this idea, that in the end it takes a rape to free her from her captivity. How far is this from the fantasy that raped women end up enjoying it?
Michael W.philips Jr

what a gross post. okay why do u assume the film condones rape, first off, because i don't think it does. what happens to him at the end? yeah thats what i thought. geez i would luv to hear ur opinion on martin scorsese sittin in the back of a taxi cab discussing what a certain firearm would do to a black woman's vaginal area. i guess he's a racist bigot, right?

ur missing the point of the film. u can have sympathy and compassion for a person, even if u don't condede w/ their every action.

onoff

Quote from: cecil b. dementedi think you misunderstood the film. and i dont think you understand what an "act of love" is either. of course what benigno did was wrong, because it was rape. but that doesnt mean that he didnt love her or meant her any harm, which isnt to say that he shouldve done what he did. no matter what his feelings are, its still rape. which is why he shouldnt of done it.

You are just saying the same things I've been writing in my previous post.

of course what benigno did was wrong, because it was rape
you also said
its still rape. which is why he shouldnt of done it

So I guess you agree with me on every level. or do you?

don't contradict yourself by saying that  you misunderstood the film
and
i don't think you understand what an act of love is either
or
but that doesn't mean that he didnt love her or meant her harm

you are either following Benigno's logic or you don't.

Cecil

of course i think you misunderstood the film, you think its pro-rape.

i doubt anyone would disagree with you about rape being wrong.that doesnt mean i agree with your harsh judgements on the character and the point of the film.

onoff

Quote from: cecil b. dementedof course i think you misunderstood the film, you think its pro-rape.

i doubt anyone would disagree with you about rape being wrong.that doesnt mean i agree with your harsh judgements on the character and the point of the film.

well, that's what this film is.Because Almodovar doesn't bring any judgments on Benigno. He forces the public to sympathize with him,and there lies the gravitude of this film.

you say:
that doesnt mean i agree with your harsh judgements on the character and the point of the film

harsh judgements? you mean telling the truth? so you're insinuating that, in a way,Benigno's act (of impregnating a comatose patient) is excusable or even tolerable? Would you say the same thing if that girl was your daughter or your wife?

My judgements are not harsh but normal. Benigno is what you'd call an Erotomaniac
http://www.angelfire.com/ga/random/erotomanic.html
sure he wasn't aggressive, but that doesn't gives him the right to penetrate her while she was inconscious. Cause there's no difference between this and date rape.

Cecil

sigh. where did i say that his acts are excusable or tolerable? good god people cant argue about touchy subjects without putting words in the other persons mouth.

the movie isnt about whether benigno did something wrong or not (which is obvious to everyone except for him), and its not about "forcing" you to "sympathize" with him. stop putting yourself in the shoes of the father and start putting yourself in the shoes of benignos friends and coworkers as well. its about the tragedy he has caused, and how people deal with this. (as you can see, some deny that he even did it).

©brad

cecil is right here. did u read my post a few posts up? cuz i'd luv to read ur italicized response to it.

personally i've had enuff of onoff.

modage

Quote from: ©bradcecil is right here. did u read my post a few posts up? cuz i'd luv to read ur italicized response to it.

personally i've had enuff of onoff.

aw, now you're just upset because you fell for that Pro-Rape Propaganda.  which, was really nothing more than an explotation film to begin with.  

i'll bet people in onoffs 'intro to film' class are really blown away by his stunning insight.  maybe we should be more appreciative.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

chainsmoking insomniac

I haven't seen any of Almodovar's work, but all of this heated discussion is urging me to pick up something this guy's done.  I'm also reminded of the Solondz thread, where someone said that they felt manipulated by "Happiness" because they were made to feel pity for the pedophile.  Earlier in this thread someone said they felt forced to feel compassion for the rapist.  I highly doubt this Almodovar fellow is condoning rape; what it does sound like he's doing is forcing you to see new perspectives, to think outside of the box.
Some people, it seems, can't handle this.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

pete

on a much much broader scale, saying Almodovar condones rape because he doesn't bring judgement against his character who is a rapist is like saying all action filmmakers condone murder or all romantic comedies condone lying and cheating or all heist movies condone stealing.  the context man, the context.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton