Frozen

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 11, 2011, 05:17:50 AM

Gold Trumpet

Saw this on TV and based off Mod's high praise, I decided to watch it. Man, this was a really good horror film. The story stays so simple, but it entraps you with a simple fear like being left on a ski lift at a mountain ski resort. I knew the premise going in and I wasn't sure the story could stay interesting or realistic to yield more than the basic fear of being trapped on a lift and freezing to death, but it finds a lot of way to gradually increase the horror and tension in ways I wasn't expecting.

Since I live in cold and rural parts, the basic fear in this story is huge for me. One time I was traveling with buddies to a cabin in the middle of the woods for a New Years party and we ended up crashing the car way out in the woods and beyond civilization. It was night and we were on dirt back roads and had no idea where we were so I spent hours just walking through woods to just find civilization again. Since planes can crash in my region of the world and are never found again, I wasn't sure if I would take the right turns to find the nearest house or town. I also had no idea of what wildlife was bumming around. I was having flashbacks to that feeling while watching this movie. Haha, I had to turn the channel a few times for a couple of minutes.

Also, tried to find a thread, but got nada on my search.

modage

I'm shocked we agree!  I went into this with very low expectations.  My success rate during my Horror Marathon is pretty low for films I haven't seen before so I was really pleasantly surprised by this one.  Every aspect of it was above and beyond what I expected from this type of film.  It's an extremely effective contained thriller and I hope more people get a chance to see it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fernando

I saw it this past sunday, did too based on mod's praise.

ive never skied in my life and I want to, but i sure as hell will never take a ski-lift at night or when the damn thing is about to close.

this is a very good rental and isnt long. in mod we trust.  :yabbse-thumbup:

Reel

Quote from: Fernando on January 11, 2011, 04:28:53 PM
in mod we trust.  :yabbse-thumbup:

haha, yeah this was good if you like that sort of thing. I loved how inconsequential everything was regarding their rescue. It just seems like there were 2 million ways they could've saved themselves in the beginning if they were thinking logically. These kinds of movies about people being their own undoing are pretty cool. Theres always a little bit of a reach in terms of how feasible the plot is but as far as just doing something that hasn't been recycled and remade over and over again it did the job!

RegularKarate

I saw it this weekend with my parents and girlfriend. 
Once it gets to the ski-lift, it gets really good.  I definitely enjoyed it despite the ending being a little bit of a let-down.

A good rainysnowy day movie.

modage

I definitely shouted at the tv when

HUGE SPOILER ALERT, SERIOUSLY WATCH THE MOVIE FIRST

the first kid jumps down and breaks his legs.  Cause I had been thinking "you can probably just drop and roll" and then I was SO WRONG.  It was amazing.

END SPOILERS

Did you not have a similar reaction?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Quote from: modage on January 24, 2011, 03:33:42 PM
Did you not have a similar reaction?

I definitely shouted.  I don't remember what it was, but it was shouted.

Reel

what a retard though. They def. should've been working on plan B from the beginning

Stefen

It's really good. Everyone should watch it.

Spoilers.

When that dude jumped I knew his legs were going to break and he was going to be hurt bad. It was early in the movie. He wasn't going to save them. Then what? An hour of romantic comedy? What got me was when the wolves came. I figured they would show up and just be something in the background we had to worry about but never an actual threat. Nope. Those wolves ate the dude! Was not expecting that. Same with the other guy leaving. I was ready to see a by the numbers action chase scene down the mountain but it didn't happen (and I was glad).
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

nope this was not that good.

it was OK at best.. i mean if you're willing to shut off your brain completely for 90 mins then this movie will easily pass the time.

my major problems with it (no spoilers so read on!) :

- the dialogue is atrocious. the actors don't know what to do with it, the looks in their eyes is almost always that of someone thinking "man these words are shit but you know what i mean, right? you know i was trying to develop a character here and this bit of dialogue is supposed to be doing that,.. but really it's just filling in the time in between the 2 things that happen in this movie.. uh but you know what i'm TRYING to achieve.. right?... ah fuck it, it's a job.. Animorphs is not paying the rent.."

-  TOO MANY DUMB DECISIONS.. this is no big spoiler. but there's a dumb idiot girl who takes off her glove and then is surprised when her hand is COLD. ah fuck you right there, fuck the film.. COVER YOUR FACE TOO.. YOU HAVE MANY LAYERS OF CLOTHES TO USE.. TUCK YOUR FUCKING HAND INSIDE YOUR LONG SLEEVE. not to mention pretty much every other decision made by every character. where's the fun when you can't respect anyone in a film?

- so overrated.. please just because someone managed to make an 87 minute movie out of 2 acts and barely a script doesn't mean we should be applauding. there is nothing in this film that elevates it above watchable. it's just watchable. that's the best anyone can say about it. ONCE you yell at the screen because of something gross but that's it.

easily can live without watching this. be drunk if you have to and if you've got anything better to do like read a book or watch The Trip on youtube, do that instead.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Oh, yeah, the acting is pretty bad. All your criticisms are valid and ones I definitely agree with, but if you judge this movie against any other 'great' movies, yeah, it doesn't hold up, but judge it by its own merits and it's solid. It's not going to win any awards, but it kept my interest and had me glued to my seat at times. That's enough for me to call it good and recommend it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

samsong

zach efron sucked.  a lot.  as did the movie.

Stefen

Zac Efron haha, get da eff outta here. HAHAHA. They did look exactly alike. Too funny.